1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Thing Prequel Trailer arrives!

Discussion in 'General' started by johnnyboy700, 15 Jul 2011.

1. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50381

I want this to be good, from this trailer it certainly captures the feel of the 1982 film but I've too often seen promising trailers that hide a big steaming smelly pile of poo. However I will go in see this and if it turns out to be even half as good as the JC film then I'll be happy.

Enjoy...

:p

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hmm... It looks like there's too much Thing in it - the original worked well because for most of the film you didn't see how it took people.

Love the way the trailer was full of the usual generic drama music, then suddenly the 80's theme pops in there. Awesome. :D

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

At least they have some Norwegian actors in it! Even that surprised me.

We know how it will roughly end, we know 2 survive (If you haven't seen the original, please go slap yourself very very hard in the face.), we know exactly how 2 people die.

Now, this could be a very good film, especially if they steer clear of CGI as best they can, but judging from the trailer, that's not the case. I would like this to be good, I really really do.
    Mary Elizabeth Winstead looks like she could actually be very good in the role. She's cute as hell to boot and not some bulemic model. :D

For me, The Thing was, is and always will be one of the greatest sci-fi horror films of all time. The effects are fantastic, the cast great, the lack of blatant cheese and a sense of tension and uncertainty throughout the film as to who is what.

The special effects in the original are truly amazing for what they are; stop motion animation, prosthetics, masks, puppetry and hand-painted backdrops! The scene where Monroe and others are looking at the craft.... the ENTIRE SCENE IS HAND-PAINTED! And it's flawless.

For anyone who doubts the awesomeness of The Thing by John Carpenter, go down to your local DVD selling shack and buy it. It's cheap as chips, probably cheaper than a bag of chips even and certainly better for you. Get it, turn the damn lights off, watch it and see what can be done with some ingenuity.

Again, this prequel (thank f**k it's not a remake) could be really good and I want it to be, but I doubt it will ever be a touch on the original.

Here is youtube video of trailer;

4. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

The original is such an amazing film. Plus working out who was The Thing at what point in the film always had me stumped. Like who was it got to the blood? Well there are solutions online to the plot questions, but even so the film is still timeless. "We're all very tired"........

5. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Thankyou Matt Damon for ruining my favorite film ever.

The 1982 version was fantastic... you never saw or it never truly explained how this Thing worked. It simply multiplied like a virus without you ever knowing and to this day, the direction and actors never knew who was infected when or even how.

There seems to be no suspense, no fear of the Thing, just uncanny and crap acting. PLUS aren't they goddamn Norwei...

Nevermind I'm ranting

-10 Stars automatically for ruining my favorite film.

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Matt Damon?

They are Norwegian in the trailer, except for cute woman.

You lost me Brawl.

7. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Trailer looks alright really- certainly captures the feel of the original ( regards mistrust and only a basic understanding of what the thing is/ how it functions )- according to magazine interviews they did as much of the thing using practical effects as possible, but some cgi use is inevitable given the age we live in now. I will withhold judgment until I have actually seen it, but I want ti to be good for certain, I don't want to rubbish it just because it's a modern twist on a classic story.

The classic trailer has a similar feel really, so..

8. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

This makes me happy and sad in equal measure.

I wont rant about what makes me sad. We'd be here all day.

What am I glad about? I read an article which quoted a Universal Studios boss as saying that they had no intentions of continuing The Thing franchise in any way shape or form. Looks like the smell of cash swayed some opinions.

EDIT: Turns out the site I originally read this on was talking a right load of bollocks. This is something like fan fiction it appears. Bloody good though:

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

I'll be watching this, but I wont go in with high hopes.

I'd love to see the prequel John Carpenter approached universal with all those years ago. It sounds brilliant.

Last edited: 15 Jul 2011
  9. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I agree about the inevitability of CGI, I seroiusly doubt anyone would invest the time and effort for stop motion nowadays. But the on set vists that the AICN crew have been reporting certainly indicate that there is a lot of on set physical effects fot the various encounters with the different stages of the creature.

With regards to the similarities to the 1982 film, I'm not surprised as its essentially the same set up. Creature gets loose that can perfectly imitate any lifeform, panic, fear, mistrust and chaos ensues. The creature probably splits into several members of the team, carries out a few seemingly random incidents to heighten the tension and if one is exposed it will fight back but if it does get killed then there are others still around.

As to the fact that we know the ending, that didn't stop people from seeing Titanic, its hardly a massive spolier knowing that the boat sinks or if going to see a WW2 film knowing in advance that the allies won. Its not always about the ending, the real joy is more often in the journey.

If anyone has read the original short story, yes JC's film is much closer to it than the Howard Hawks film from the fifties but its still quite different in places. I think both films are excellent and I will never forget the scene from the HH film where they drive the creature away but setting fire to it. No tricks there, real people with real fire - bloody dangerous looking!