1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The truth about the Radeon HD 4770 reference card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

You think they would have realised they created a card that they couldn't produce at the desired cost before releasing it to the world, but clearly not.

It seems to me like a bunch of could-have-been-avoided mistakes that has led to the whole notion AMD were trying to fleece the public. I don't think they were deliberatly, but they could have handled the whole thing much better.

I guess it does mean though that you, Bit, have got a bit of a rare card in your midst. Might be worth hanging on to it, could be worth something one day.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin New Member

Just release that reference design at a higher price point id pay an extra $20 for it without a second thought, and im sure MANY would

This is just a missed opportunity

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

In my very limited view of the situation, AMD are just using this 4770 as a way to get the hang of producing chips on 40nm, before they launch the 5xxx range. A very sensible thing to do i think, and it gives us humble users a shot at very cheap performance.

I wouldn´t exactly put on my tin hat for this one, although clearly AMD is less then happy to elaborate on the mistakes they made on this one.

5. Xtrafresh

Nah, not really mate. The article sais they dont have enough chips to go around as it is, so no need to sell even more at another pricepoint.

6. Darkraven

Darkraven New Member

The Great AMD 4770 Debacle. Film at 11:00.
    Impressive card tho. Don't much care for the cheezy coolers I've seen but I'm just of the opinion if it takes up 2 slots then it ought to vent out of the case, just me.
    How bout work out the kinks, re-release and make mine with the good cooler, and 256-bit Interface. ROFL, you can keep it at 640 stream processing, even 512MB memory long as you keep price and power consumption down, I could live with that. Did I mention blue would be nice, LOL.

7. lp1988

lp1988 Well-Known Member

I'd like to know what kind of problem they are having, It's hard to imagine a problem that shuts down production in this magnitude.

8. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

shuts down production in this magnitude...i'm not sure to what you are referring too but if it was the lack of chips etc then it is simply demand outstripping supply as the cards are probably quite popular.

peace

fatman

9. p3n

p3n New Member

no... the manufacturing process has a 'yield' (bad chips:good chips).

10. tonschk

tonschk New Member

Can you tell me please when will be released the new 5XXX serie of GPU with 40nm technology ? I am waiting for this GPU version because I am sure are more efficient and less heat problems

11. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

They are aiming for October to coincide with Windows 7 release...

12. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

tbh, the dual slot 'reference' cooler version reviewed by bit-tech and some other sites always looked a bit too feature rich for an £80 card. The normal versions of the card maybe aren't as desirable, however performance wise they are still pretty good value (if you can find one!).

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I wonder why they never released the original one(the one with the Zalman cooler)?

14. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Problem is, they can't sell the 4770 for more with all the price drops the lower end 48x0 cards got.

15. Gremlin

Gremlin New Member

Yeah they can, Theres nothing stopping them from producing it in small quantities when they get their chips and tacking on a little extra , there are ALWAYS people out there willing to buy it, especially when you consider people buy after market cooling for anything, so there is a definite market for it even in limited quantities

id rather buy a 4770 with the original AMD reference design than a cheap 4850 the same price, simply because its a 40nm chip it performs so close to it and can overclock well and still keep nice and cool

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

In my opinion ATi should have come clean about their multiple "reference designs" from the very beginning. I'm positive most people would have understood the situation regarding the BOM and would probably have looked kindly upon ATi for "telling it like it is".

ATi should NEVER have sent the "reference design for the RV740 GPU" (I just love that euphemistic phrasing) to reviewers, if they knew they couldn't back it up with actually purchasable product.

And I still believe they most glaring problem with what is in effect the actual reference design (however ATi might want to spin it) isn't the stripped components. Maybe the card can't be overclocked as much, but it still more than lives up to its reference speed. No, the real problem as I see it is the 2 pin fan header. I mean, really, how much cost was saved in regard to a 3 pin fan header? And that 3 pin header would have enabled people to buy a decent aftermarket cooler.

I'd say, from a technical perspective the first 40nm GPU is a great feat. From a PR POV it's a disaster, and one that could readily have been avoided.

17. casesensitive

casesensitive New Member

If I may enter this discussion with a little gripe that this card requieres additional power, unlike the 4670 which was a good card but not good enough to be considered a fully grown up gaming card.
    I do a lot of 3D work and my 'render box' - hasnt got any power points for cards that need additional power. Its a typical Dell PSU, providing the bare minimum for the Mobo only.
    This machine is a working tool but I do like to play the odd game on it occasionaly.
    If this card was powered through the Pci slot alone I would have bought one, regardless of cost(within reason ,of course) and so would many other cash strapped gamers lumped with a cheap underpowered hand-me down Pc.
    Also with summer blazing through my window I want my Pcs to run cool, and less Watts = less heat.
    Hopefully AMD will see this post (LOL) and do something about it.

18. p3n

p3n New Member

Get a clue.

(http://lmgtfy.com/?q=molex+graphics+card+power)

19. Xtrafresh

RTP protocol please!

1: Read
    2: Think
    3: Post

He specifically said he has no extra power outs. Also, please keep it nice! :lol:

I do believe he deserves a spanking for running a Dell btw :p

azrael- likes this.
  20. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I don't get why all the people here are whining. Looking at the order of events

1. AMD commits to deliver a $100 40nm card
    2. Not feasible with 1st design
    3. New/Old Design submited, and the shoe fits
    4. AMD delivers
    5. But things get ugly as it sells way better than anticipated, and poor yields at the manufacturing level

Now why bother, design a non-ref version when the current version is already sold before it hits the shelf? Lazy I know, but it makes sense.

Tags: Add Tags