1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The trying to stop smoking blog

Discussion in 'General' started by yodasarmpit, 29 Nov 2004.

1. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

I dont think you should have had a last smoke. If you want to quit you should have just stopped. All that last smoke did was put more nicotine in your system wich is exactly the thing that will eventually torment you.

I quit last year so my advice is

change your routine. instead of at work going out to smoke go someplace else and find something that will keep you occupied. Dont stand around somewhere. Actually be doing something else at break. At home on the pc is usually where the chain smoking happens. Drink lots of water. Buy 30 packs of water for 5 bucks. Drink then pee. drink more. ect. associate yourself with the water instead of the smoke.

lastly. when you start to lose it or tweaking out just remind yourself that your going through a whole lot of drama for something as meaningless as a smoke. Basically remind yourself that the smokes are screwing with you.

Stuff will be constantly thrown in your face to make you lose and give up. Recognize it and acknowlege it when it happens. Dont give it to it. good luck.

2. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

If it does eventually become hard to give up totally, what you can do if you need a *** is to rip a bit off the end each time, and rip more off the longer you go, granted its a waste, but your smoking less and less each time. I've stopped now, I used to smoke on the weekends, but I got myself into a habit of stumping the *** out with quite a lot of it left, and then eventually convinced myself that it was horrible. :D

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Day1 cont'd

Well morning break at work was odd, instead of standing outside, I was in the nice warm resturaunt.
    I sat at a table with other people that I don't normaly sit with, and had to make conversation.
    I'll buy a newspaper tomorrow I think.

4. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Good luck mate, I quit from 20 a day 2 years ago so i know how hard it is. Cold turky is definately the way to go, you need to face the fact that your never going to smoke a cigarette again. I wouldnt say im particularly strong willed so its definately do-able. There was still the odd craving for about a year and a half but the turning point was when id put in so much effort that i couldnt bear to waste it by starting smoking again, that was at about a month. The blog is definately a good idea, hope the thought of letting us all down pushes you on ;) :thumb:

5. RTT

RTT #parp

I shall repeat my question - what are you going to treat yourself to with the money you'd otherwise be spending on ciggies? [aside from newspapers] :D

6. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Make sure you keep track of the money you would spend on the death sticks, maybe phsyically put the money in a jar where you can see how much yo're saving perhaps. Then, from time to time, treat yourself with it. The more you associate giving up with positive feelings then the less the cravings will bother you and the more will-power you will have.

Good luck :thumb:

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Im already a bit of an impulse buyer, so if the cash piles up it will get spent on something pretty soon.
    I could do with a new graphics card, say something in the X800/ nV6800 area.
    Now at £4.90 a day for 20 fags, after 2 months that equates to £300, see where I'm gong here.

Now setting myself a goal should help, shouldn't it.

So here's the deal if I can make it two months with no ciggies then I buy myself a new graphics card.

[​IMG]

Lunch time was ok, didnt even feel like a cigarette, but I remember this from before, the first day was always easy, then it would get you on the second or third.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2004
  8. CsM

CsM What's a Dremel?

good luck hope you can do it m8

i haven't had a cig for about 5-6 weeks now.
    the feeling of wanting to kill someone has subsided a bit but i am still dieing for one now. i have been told that that will never go.

if you manage it you will feel a lot better in yourself. yyoull acctually b able to taste your food for 1

9. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Best of luck to you mate, don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. :thumb:

10. olv

olv he's so bright

WOOO GO Yoda!!!!!!!!! etc...

seriously hope you can stick with it. i can't pretend to know how hard it is as i havn't smoked before but theres been plenty of good advice.

when it gets bad just post in here and everyone will support you not to give up. hope it works out, if only for the 6800 :D

11. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

I remember when I used to hate beer. I wish I still did. I'd have so much more money.

Anyway, nice one on trying to give up. I think you'll more likely stick to it knowing you have an incentive to get a new graphics card.

Good luck :thumb:

12. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi,

Glad to see your first day went fine. About the beer thing.. everybody has a different taste.. I love beer.. (belgian beer! :D :clap: ). But I don't NEED my beer each day.. I don't even drink each day. I never drink alone either.

So thats the difference with sigarets. I have a few friends who are heavily addicted and the first thing they do in the morning, Is have a cigarette...

I wish you all the luck.

And indeed remove all things that remind you of cigarettes and find a 'replacement' for the time spent smoking. breaks etc..

I think the jar to save your money in, is a fantastic idea, you will see the cash rise every day.. must help alot (imo).

good luck,
    L

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

GL dude! :thumb:

14. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

15. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

THINK OF THE GRAPHICS CARD!

That'll keep you going! :D

Good luck! :thumb:

ch424

16. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

[​IMG]
    Something to help you stop lighting up. Now if only I can convince my mates to stop smoking.

17. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

A doberman that's been hit with a spade?

Well it'd definitely make me quite if I smoked. Somebody think of the dogs!

18. NOMIS

NOMIS What's a Dremel?

Good luck with it man, I'm sure you can do it :thumb:

19. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Good luck mate...I really hope ya succeed. I know how hard it is gonna be, especially since I am still smoking.

20. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Yeah good luck man. I have a couple of friends who smoked. One of them quit a few years ago and the other has quit loads and loads of times but seems to always pick up the ciggaretes again. I think that one of the hardest parts is not starting again once you've quit for a few months. IE when your new graphics card has been superceeded with countless other nVidia and ATI boards you'll have forgotton the incentive you had that made you quit in the first place.

I think you need to have a strong reason to be able to quit. It's easy to say that you don't want your lungs shivelling up but that's not something you're reminded of every day as a smoker. My friend who has quit started to shape up a bit and go running at least every week and he still says how much good quitting has done because he can feel it when he runs. If you continued with your football I reckon you'll notice the difference and be constantly reminded why you quit smoking. Hopefully that'll help you quit for good.

Also yeah, beer does tase horrible but that's part of what makes it great. Imagine if it was as sweet as coke, you'd be sick of it in no time. I find the bitter taste just makes you keep coming back for more and that's why it's a great accompaniment to a night out.