1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Motherboard: Initial design V15

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RotoSequence, 3 Dec 2005.

1. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I wasn't able to find the datasheets via Google. I'll check if I have access to them at work, but I'll need to see what I can share. However, unless there are a lot more PCIe lanes on that SB, the board would probally need an additional PCIe switch for the extra lanes. This is assuming the northbridge has a fast enough link to the southbridge and won't use too many PCIe lanes, but I won't know untill I see the datasheet.
    one other thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that you probally only need one flash chip. The BIOS option roms for add in devices can be buit right into your main BIOS. The best reason for multiple chips though, is somthing called rolling BIOS. The idea is that if one chip goes bad, you can set a jumper or fllip a switch and boot to the other.

I'll probally throw more practical design based ideas into the thread even though this is a 'what if' but it would be cool if, once the wish list is done that we could start pricing out the costs for board design and prototyping, BIOS writing, and finally, manufacture.

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Nevermind flipping a jumper or **** like that. A motherboard of the future should be completely devoid of jumpers. Not a single one. Bios failure? The board detects it, automatically loads bios #2 and asks if you want to ghost 2 to #1 to fix it. That's progress.

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

We're not quite at that ideal yet tulatin, and its unlikely we'll ever get there. As far as PCIe lanes, the chipset supports 40 lanes - which could be problematic if a second gigabit ethernet port is wanted; otherwise, one lane is lost, and the configuration will be stuck at X8, X8, X8, X8.

4. Tulatin

Why wouldn't we ever get there? It would be a simple matter of a chip (non programmable) before the bios that simply switches for you after a timeout period. As to lanes, i take it we're stuck at 40+24? The main issue there is i see a SATA controller onboard... unless you're going to choke that with PCI...

5. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Let me put it this way. There are 40 PCIe lanes available on RD580. Total. No more can be added. Im either stuck with 4x X8 or two X16s and two X1s with no PCIe attached devices (SATA or Gigabit ethernet). Or, I could get rid of two PCIe slots and put in conventional PCI and allocate the remaining two lanes to SATA and gigabit ethernet. Persionally, the 4x X8 option sounds more attractive if ATI ever allows the possibility of quad crossfire.

6. Tulatin

Erm roto... 36/40 With the cards, or 32/40. That leaves 4/8 lanes open for your playing about with. Which means 2 slots left after feeding your SATA controller (unless you make that a 4x) and a Gigabit Eth.

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Oh duh. I cant count today. I realized that just now (before I read your post).

Problem averted.

40 PCIe lanes - 32 for graphics and 2 for Gigabit ethernet and RAID ( - 5 for gigabit and 4 lane RAID0 would leave 3 lanes left; that would leave a default configuration of X16, x1, x1, and X16 (unless X2 exists).

8. Tulatin

I don't think X2 exists. And just leave the other 2 free to accomodate when it becomes x8^4.

9. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I don't know of any chips off the top of my head, but I do belive there are some dedicated PCIe switches. I need to see the specs on the chipset to see how they are dealing with their integrated compondents on the NB and SB.
    In the accounting, I see a few poptental problems, but like I said, I need to look at some datasheets.

As far as a jumperless MB, the BIOS system you desribe exsists, it's called rolling BIOS and Intel uses it on a number of their servers. I have also seen it break and needed a jumper.
    But there are other reasons jumpers will never completly go away, namly manufacturing and development. It would be nice for somone to document all the features used during development and manufacturing, but thatis not a common practice. However, since we are wishing here, I'd like to see those parts used in the process made easier to use and their functions disclosed so the tweakers can get everything they can from the board.

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Ok guys; got a bit of a contest for you all; Im having trouble coming up with a good color scheme. So, the challenge is this - come up with the best color scheme for the board! Please use the provided template :)

[​IMG]

11. TX297

TX297 Hey guys have you heard of seenly?

not really a serious attempt, but I like the way the blue/green/gray scheme worked out :/

Just needs a bit more contrast for the noobs. I do like a soft-green or blue PCB though

[​IMG]

12. Malvolio

Malvolio .

[​IMG]

You know that's the only way it can be ;)

13. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

I liked the red, blue, gray on black you had earlier, heres my variation. I think miscellaneous little pin grids and the heatsinks/pipe should be black. As well as the proc slot (in the event that your cooler leaves some exposed)

[​IMG]

14. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

More Red mobos!

[​IMG]

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep the ideas coming :)
    The boards being posted are the upcoming (and so far incomplete) Version 15.

16. Tulatin

If everything else is gonna be clear ;)

[​IMG]

They could also be UV reactive.

17. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

You just gotta love the White PCB and red slots:
    [​IMG]

18. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

i agree with frank i think that colour scheme looks really nice.

19. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

built in t-balancer & bluetooth class 1 & 2, maybe even go faster with 10gbit (802.3ae)tbh :D

20. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

I realy dont see the reason to build in a board diagnostic system with a two char LED readout. Its no diferrient then beep codes, both ar cryptic and need a manual to decypher. Don't waste the space just include a full set of beep codes with the board documentation. I like the idea of dual BIOS chips, it would also be cool to write it open source. Include code and documentation of the BIOS with the board for us freaks who would enjoy beating up assembly for the sheer feeling of power to turn something that low inside out. As far as internal settings we need a WIDE range of options. All options should have a minimum range of 30% below spec to 100% above, and be extra generous with multiplier and FSB settings.