1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Void Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Nov 2009.

1. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

This game looks fantastic. Reminds me a little of the Chinese Room HL2 mods from what you've said and shown, albeit with more of a gameplay mechanic. Looking forward to this one.

2. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Is this kinda like Myst?

I like adventure games, The Longest Journey being my all time favourite game, but I don't want to play anything like Myst ever again. That game nearly drove me crazy.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Can't say I ever played Myst properly, but not from what I know of it. No. It's not just pre-rendered backdrops and odd puzzles.

4. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Ok thanks. Will be getting this as soon as I'm done with "the path".

5. Achilleas.k

Achilleas.k Minimodder

I got this game and started it a few days ago and I must say I agree with everything the reviewer said (more or less) though there is one thing I would add.
    I respect this game. I respect it for several reasons. The obvious one is that it's so different and weird and messed up in the head that you know there is a group of graphics artists and game designers that really wanted to make THIS game and not the game that would make them much more money.
    Another reason has to do with the difficulty. It IS a hard game to get into, but it's not hard because the enemy has superhuman strength and can hit you with a rusted crossbow from halfway across the map, it's a hard game because it lets you discover it. It tells you what you have to do how to do it in a very cryptic manner that fits nicely into the whole concept of the game. Everything is one big poem and everything is spoken in metaphors. It's a work of art that assumes you'll keep an open mind about things and can read between the lines and think beyond the straightforward meaning of a sentence. In other words, it doesn't pop up big white letters saying "Press E to open door" every time you approach a bloody door!

The Void is to Modern Warfare what The Fountain is to Transformers. I probably didn't enjoy The Fountain as much as Transformers, not as a cinematic experience anyway, and The Fountain isn't a movie for everyone (it probably can barely be classified as a movie). But the void is gorgeous. It knows it won't be loved by everyone. It suspects it may not be loved by anyone. But it doesn't assume you're an idiot and for this, I salute the developers and hope to see much more from them.

Tags: Add Tags