1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Not sure why. Maybe disable the rift headphones and your default speakers in sound manager, and then enable your default speaker's and set as the default device before enabling the Rift headphones in sound manager.

Depending on how you have your two sensors setup, if they're both facing forward, then you will lose tracking with your back to the sensors, if you want 360° tracking, then you can put a sensor in opposite corners. A third sensor just give you better tracking in a large play space.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A third sensor comes in useful with "room scale" games, where you're sometimes facing away from 1 or both of your sensors. A third means you're always facing one.

[​IMG]

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I've had no problems running 360 roomscale with two sensor's at opposite corner ends. Just when you set them up being roughly 4.5m apart you have to force continue in the setup ignoring any warnings regarding the sensors being too far apart. It's work flawlessly even in a prone position, giving me a play space of 3m x 4m. (Bare in mind these are ceiling mounted too.)

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sorry but:
    DK2?
    AF?
    CV1?

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

How do you re position the sensors as I can make my play area larger by moving them as foolishly I assumed that they need to be either side of PC which of course they do not and as I am currently in the process of removing a piece of furniture housing my secondary PC I will have far more space if I move sensors?
    Not sure where I could lace a third though, how do you ceiling mount them?

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The heads unscrew, and you can mount them to a CCTV bracket like these

[​IMG]

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Decided to go with wall placement.
    I am going to get another sensor and will probably wall mount at least two of them.
    Does placement matter, I am trying, given the shape of my room for a triangular placement or should I bee looking at another configuration?
    If wall mounted high high should they be?
    I assume I will need to change the sensor placement settings in the app, how?

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

DK2 is the second version of the developers kit before the offical consumers CV1 release, which is what we have now. So the Oculus Rift we have is a CV1 model, so the next gen one maybe called CV2 etc.

Ceiling mounting is best, the higher the better. Two sensors will be enough, a third can cause more problems with bandwidth. So just have a play with setting up a sensor in opposite corners of your play space, and then go into the Oculus App, Devices, and at the top right, you should be able to reconfigure your Rift. (You might have to click on one of the sensor showing, and an option will be in there.) Then with the sensor map, make sure to have the sensors match your room and your PC location.
    If the sensors are more than 2.5m apart, you may get a warning, ignore it and continue, then map your room out with the controller, then you should be god to go.
    Your play space needs to square, or rectangular shaped, with a play space of 2.5m squared, will be an optimised play space (Green) - under that will be Moderate (Amber) etc.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Corners are not good given the shape of the room and I think I prefer wall as I can do a neater job with the cables.
    Again because of the shape I feel three will give me a decent size rectangular area. Oculus says it's generally better to have a reliable lower-bandwidth USB 2.0 connection for your third sensor versus so this is the way I shall probably go.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2018
  10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Without the floor plan of the rooms shape, it would be hard to tell you where to mount them.
    As for the cable management, I use 10mm self adhesive cable trunking. Wickes is the cheapest place for that.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Might try to do a floor plan later.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Tried to create a floor plan but far to complex for me so I settled on a couple poor images. The white unit in the first image is being moved to the other side of the bed and sensor will go on there, the PC unit in the middle of the room is going and I intended putting a sensor above whee the floor lamp is which is also being moved and another sensor above the wardrobe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But if you have better placement please advise.

I use the trunking myself for my TV cables but get it from Ebay as I do not have a car.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2018
  13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Could you not draw the floor plan on a piece of paper including windows/doors, and then mark in your position of the PC, add little circles for where you plan to mount the sensors, then with a dotted line, replicate the play space. Take a pic or scan the image and upload it here? :)

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am so losing the will to live, I got the error "Can't reach Oculus Runtime Services" so uninstalled and reinstalled the Rift software and still getting the error.

15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Never experienced that error myself. Uninstall the software, run Ccleaner registry clean, reboot and reinstall. :)

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

So this has happened today by the looks of it. Hence why I've never seen it before. Looks like the certificate has expired, so the fix I see, is to uninstall the software, change your system date in bios too 2days ago, reinstall the software, click to join public beta, let it update. Check that it works, reboot into bios and change the date, and you're good to go.

This is a bit bad of Oculus letting a runtime certificate expire.

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I could get back into the app by just changing the date in Windows but I did not get an update and it causes other issues so I have reverted and will wait to an official fix.
    Did get Steam VR installed now just need to look for some freebies.

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'll have a look in a bit when I switch my pc on and see if I'm getting the same problem.

But I'm sure this will be fixed by the end of the day.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

My app is working as I am currently downloading a game. I have no idea why apart from the fact I went back in time by a week played around in the settings then reverted to today's date.