1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Me too! This is gonna be like using a Voodoo 4MB for the first time all over again, only much more betterer. :clap:

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Is Facebook Q1 Jan - March anyone know.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

If its not obvious, they are talking about Jan to March 2016. Otherwise they would have said something like 'Q1 Fiscal' - and would have said it in a earnings call rather than an actual product announcement on the front page of their site.

Last edited: 6 May 2015
  4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

What does every one think is going to happen to the world once these start shipping in proper numbers?

my guess about the first commercial is that we are going to be hugely surprised with the level of quality in experience, like none of us would expect it to be that darn good, like even us dudes here with the dk2 are going to go omfg that is crazy.

that is what people have said about the crescent bay and this is the next and improved one.

its going to be like day 1 for computer games... all that we have known todate, and there are some amazing experiences on flat screen.

all that we have known will fall to the waste side and be LOL'ed looking back in just a few years.

If its not a VR game it will be thought of as stale, old, retro.

I know its super obvious but I would love to play out a full completely interactive can do any thing and participate in an episode of star trek, maybe even MMO in which you can play out against each other on ships and have missions.

imagine what vr is going to be like by 2040

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I want to sit on an asteroid drinking beer. :D

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

In all likelihood, CV1 is going to be at best an incremental improvement over the Crescent Bay prototype. More solid moulding and a more integrated cabling setup is likely (same as Crystal Cove vs. DK2), possibly with a moderately improved camera.
    The big wildcard is the display. It's a good bet that Crystal Cove and the Vive devkit both use the same dual-panel display (1080*1200 per eye diamond pentile OLED), and a good bet the panels are manufactured by Samsung as nobody else has a high resolution OLED fab online, and nobody else has experience fabbing OLED panels for low-persistance driving.
    As the Vive panels are clearly a development of Valve's technique of partial panel driving for higher refresh rates (take a 1080x1920 60Hz panel, and refresh the upper 1080x1280 portion at 90Hz for the same line-refresh rate. The initial 'Room' prototypes chopped the panel down in software, and Vive has the panels physically cut down) it's a reasonable bet that IF either consumer device uses an updated display, then it will be a similar pair of 'cut-down' panels, and in all probability a cut-down version of the 1440x2560 diamond pentile OLED used in the Note 4, giving around 1440x1700 per eye at 90Hz.

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

1440x1700 per eye at 90Hz - that's what I'm hoping to get.
    DK2 is simply not enough for high res games (in game text etc), based on Elite for example.

They say they will announce technical details in weeks, starting next week.
    There will be pre-orders this year for first delivery in Q1 2016.

Time to sell my DK2...:)

8. rollo

rollo Modder

If they go too high there won't be a gpu in existence that can output the fps required. Even 1080p per eye is likely beyond what most gpus could cope with.

I've seen some reports with people saying they want effectively 4k resolution across the 2 lenses which is just crazy.

If the device costs £300 but you need £1k in gpu to drive it VR will fail to gain traction. 1080 to 1440 across both lenses would be a realistic aim till gpu tech picks up and makes 4k viable without sli.

Sli and cfx both do not work well with dk2.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Turn down the bling.
    No, seriously, you already need to dump all effects calculated in -for stereo rendering to work properly (e.g. no more cheatey shadow rendering). It is indeed possible to play games with setting not pegged at 'ultra extreme'.

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

11. rollo

rollo Modder

So it's lower than most thought it would be. They have also confirmed minimum specs for PC and they are quiet high. Start saving now if not already got them. They also paused the Linux and OS X edition which is a bit sad.

12. Parge

Yeah, it's is lower than expected. I can only assume that the new lenses also help solve the SDE.

Not bothered about Linux or Mac, since they area very low proportion of gamers, and will be sorted eventually.

I'm good to go, but I've been saving for the last two years for the Rift and a new GPU.

If they can get SLI working I'll go 390x2 but I think it'll just be the equivalent of the 980/titan

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Remember that there are more specifications to a display than it's resolution.

What we know:
    - Driving resolution (2160x1200)
    - Refresh rate (90Hz)
    - Global updating (not line-by-line or section-by-section as with DK2 and Gear VR)

What we don't know:
    - Colour space (sRGB, AdobeRGB, Rec.2020, something else entirely)
    - Fill Factor (this determines the prevalence of the 'screen door effect', NOT resolution)
    - Contrast ratio
    - Pixel overdriving (e.g. solving 'black smear', avoiding bright/dark/chroma over/undershoots during panning, etc)
    - Brightness during low-persistence driving
    - Low-persistence pulse period (2ms for DK2)
    - Subpixel structure (diamond pentile RGBG, RGB stripe, WRGB). An RGB stripe panel would have a noticeable higher effective resolution than RGBG diamond pentile
    - Proportion of the panel visible (determined more by the lenses than the panel)

14. GMC

GMC Minimodder

I know I sure as hell can't bit can brighter bods guess at any of the unknowns from the hardware requirements?

I want to get one of these on release to use with elite dangerous. Will my current rig be sufficient as bang on recommended spec (see SIG). Or should I be planning on another GPU upgrade?

15. Parge

I used the DK2 flawlessly with the rig in my signature. It's not a particularly hard game to run so you should be fine.

16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Palmer Luckey
    "The idea that Oculus chose a low spec panel has no basis. The Rift uses the absolute best panels possible today, not only in resolution, but in every other spec as well. You probably wish display technology was a few years better (as I do!), but this is the best that can be done today, and the optimizations we have made paid off - the Rift looks fantastic, even better than Crescent Bay."

global update seems to be one of the most important specs of the panel, what does it mean that the whole panel updates as one instead of line by line?

17. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

I just hope this is going to be awesome, I cant wait to try it tbh but 3 kids kind of deplete any budget I have atm lol.

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Ive read that "those lenses has improved a LOT the SDE that is now almost disappeared...". So lets hope that is true, plus that bit more pixels will make in-game text more readable.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Id assume by best panel they mean the best panel they can afford to ship at the target price point. Id also assume they have looked at gpu tech and relised fitting a 4k panel would reduce the amount of sales they can make to a few people with nvidia titan x cards.

Even as is the minimum specs look high compared to the average steam system most own. Steam box will not be able to hit these specs dont think any of them have that i have saw include a gpu powerful enough to run it.

Will buy it myself along with a new gpu or 2 to run it. Not sure how many are in that same situation where they can just go spend on the rift and 1-2 gpus outside of tech forums id imagine few and far between.

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's more the best panel that is available to anyone at the moment. VR is still a niche in terms of absolute sale volume. The CV1 and Vive combined are unlikely to sell enough to fund the creating of custom panels, so they have to make do with modifications of existing panels. Take the 75Hz DK2 panel (the Note 3's panel), chop off the lower (portrait) portion, and perform the refresh globally rather than in segments. You now have the panels used in the Vive and CV1.