1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Variable speed option if you want to play 1.2, 1.5 x

Oculus Chief Scientist Predicts the Next 5 Years of VR Technology

Massive improvements in VR hardware and software over just five years will make current headsets seem like "something out of pre-history"

Further reading clicky:

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So, don't buy a VR headset yet. Got it. (Hasn't this guy ever heard of the Osborne effect?)

3. rollo

rollo Modder

There was rumours the other day a VIVE 2 could be here next year with upgraded resolution.

Resolution is the biggest concern right now for most.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Abrash made similar predictions at Steam Dev Days 2014, which turned out to be pretty much spot on. Because they were based on working prototypes, so it's a good guess that - at least separately - his 'predictions' are things that Oculus have working prototypes of.

Regardless, if you're buying a VR HMD today and not expecting it to be obsolete is short order, you're only fooling yourself. But many people replace their £600 smartphones every year, so it's not exactly a death-knell for a device.

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

seen my first VR headset today... two in CEX. much smaller than i thought it would be.
    Was a vive and PSVR

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

How much more do we need to get?
    4K per eye would be enough? Would this be ideal resolution we need?

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

What concerns me is if this is true, the GPU power required will be obscene - as in, not currently doable unless the game is very easy to run. My 1070 equipped laptop is only really happy when things are set to medium. Even SLI'd Titan XPs would struggle IMHO

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

That's what I was thinking.
    If 4K per eye is ideal for VR to look really good, then we would need to wait like another 3-4 years at least to get GPU that would handle this res.
    I'm talking about games with detailed graphics like Elite Dangerous.
    Other once created especially for VR aren't that much GPU power hungry, but still - 2x 4K would be a lot of information to process.. in 90fps! :)
    I'm guessing 4-5 years before we really going to enjoy high res VR with 90fps and have decent GPUs to run it.

9. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

I thought that VR would have been perfect for the application of dual gpu configurations. I expected split frame rendering to make a comeback in particular. Since VR is already a split screen, SFR seems like it would naturally be suited to that while alleviating micro-stutter.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

I would say 4K long term would be the goal. We are a decent distance of this gpu wise

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I have pre ordered my 2 touch controllers. saw the options , Oculus quoting Dec deep, Amazon only two games, John Lewis quoting 3 games!

What surprised me (if this was apple...) is Oculus have been kind enough to include a rift sensor (£79.00 value

Johns Lewis best deal on touch for UK?

Includes 3 FREE Games

Oculus Touch Controller launches on 6 December 2016.
    Available to Pre-order now for Delivery on Launch Day
    Pre-Orders must be completed before Midnight on 1 December 2016.
    After this date, you will not be able to order until the release date.
    3 FREE VR games included with pre-orders:
    The Unspoken, VR Sports & Dead and Buried

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

All pre-orders from all sources (Oculus or reseller, worldwide) include the same bundled games/programs. The sensor has always been stated as being included, as it is a requirement for their adjacent-sensor setup to minimise occlusion for close two-handed interactions.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

15. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

Google Earth VR is a weirdly emotional experience. I traveled all over the different places I've lived throughout my life and felt nostalgia and love almost to the point of tears, but then I zoomed out and moved around the planet and really saw the impact of mankind on the earth and felt extremely depressed, ashamed and angry. The earth is so much smaller than you think, and we have an impact at a macro level when looking at the globe.

And all the while there's this sense of awe. I spent hours inside Google Earth and then two days later I went back in for many more hours. It's quiet and contemplative and totally worth a long investment of time to really feel the weight of it.

16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

thanks for that user experience report, didn't know it was like that at all.

Apparently NVidia shares are up to 90 or so, I was shouting (loudly) at several stock managers (may) to buy into NVidia back at 35, also should have bought a call option obviously.

35 to 90 is pretty sick, at the time I was saying make a call option for 45 with in 12 months..

sick

17. rollo

rollo Modder

They are making insane cash in the high end, Will dominate Christmas sales. Share holders have a right to be happy.

18. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

calling VR master edzieba

[​IMG]

Further Reading (Clicky)

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Not convinced they can overcome the LCD switching time issue.
    Even with a pulsed backlit (e.g. Lightboost) to drop pixel persistence time, you still need to wait for EVERY pixel on the panel to have completed switching before you can pulse the backlight. What means you need to add a fixed delay after scanout before you can pulse the backlight (you cannot vary the wait time for the same reason variable-refresh doesn't work with low-persistence driving: brightness varies if you vary the effective PWM cycle period), so you need to set your delay to accomodate the slowest possible pixel transition, which is usually some grey-to-grey variant. Even looking at a modern high-speed TN panel without overshooting the maximum pixel switching time is 18ms. Which is a problem, because you only have 11ms before you need to start scanning out the next frame.

tl;dr: LCD panels for VR will either have a big (many ms) fixed latency penalty that is inserted AFTER timewarp, pixels that show the wrong values due to not having enough time to switch, or (for current LCD technology) both.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2016
  20. rollo

rollo Modder

Not sure that's true, people heavily diss LCD panels but it's for colour usually and black levels not response time. Nearly every gaming monitor is LCD TN Panels. ( unless paying mega money)

VR needs more resolution and more titles. I don't know anyone that's used one who doesn't think that. Best VR thing I have tested was either a F1 sim, or Planet Earth.