1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I was leaning towards the rift as I had had a go on a DV2 kit at the ED launch event and it was amazing.

The thing that makes me lean back towards the Vive is the steam backing, steam = gaming in my view, so longer term support gains the Vive some points back.

The fact Vive is apparently selling 2:1 vs the Rift is another set of point in the Vive corner. Revive sounds interesting too. I will have to read up on it.

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

has nay one set up their touch controllers ?
    Any tips, going to get to this tommorow, best games, i saw onward looks interesting.

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

the rift is a marvel of engineering, not so much the vive..

4. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I'll grant that the ergonomics of the Rift are better. It feels more like a finished product that should be packaged in special magnetized Apple logo boxes. It feels like a refined consumer product.

However, the real engineering marvel is the Vive tracking system. It's really fantastic.

Right now the Vive is $800, but it's already had a few sales where you could get it for $700.

In order to use Oculus' experimental room scale you have to buy the Rift, $600, the Touch controllers, $200, and then get a third camera at $80. At this point you've spent 10% more and even then the supported tracked area is smaller. I've watched videos of a guy with 4 cameras still have tracking and occlusion issues in a 3m square room.

The Vive will be getting an upgraded head strap and audio solution that should help with the Vive's comfort (which I find good, but a little front heavy). We don't know the price yet, but I'm hoping it's reasonable.

The other thing I find amazing from an engineering standpoint is that Vive is getting a wireless option this year with the Tpcast. So I think it's going to be an exciting year for Vive.

Oh yeah, also Vive Trackers are coming this year too, so now you can track your cat, chainsaw, gun, furniture, keyboard or whatever else people come up with.

5. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

For most front facing stuff you're golden with any camera set up the setup allows. For something like budget cuts where you will be scrabbling round on the floor a bit it helps to put a camera on the front corner edge of your desk so it can track you kneeling, a third camera would be ideal, but it's just about workable with two.

Depending on how much space you have it maybe wise to set up the guardian system edges (chaperone) about an arms length from anything solid, I've punched the walls a fair amount playing super hot. Alternatively don't get carried away.

As for games:

1. Super Hot VR
    2. Space Pirte Trainer - A decent arcadey shot the drones game.
    3. Budget cuts Demo

Steam supports the rift, so far I've only found one game (audio shield) which supported the vive and not the rift. I buy my VR games on steam where possible simply because I don't know who will be making my next VR headset and so want to avoid lock in.

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Has to be said, VR is pretty impressive, with touch controllers I was able to stand in the middle of a wild west town and face off like high noon (deliciously exquisite), the controllers are lovely and cleverly add features in game I could never have guessed.

I was able to pick up objects, point my finger, give the thumbs up, and it became second nature in around, surprisingly around 3minutes. The palm button acted as a pick up, and index finger a action trigger with thumb seeming to be picked up by an IR sensor on the top. I think the touch controller is good to go for a generation like the xbox controller.

I appreciate the amount of calories I burnt in game, ducking moving and being on your feet it is like doing tha chi lol

I have a small footprint for use, but the set up routine (which I had to skip) recommends between 6 feet and 3 feet apart. Between sensors is about 7 feet apart with a 7 by 7 square, sensors at 5foot and the other higher at about 7 foot.

I have seen built train, dead and buried, and installing onward.
    There is plenty of room for improvement in the rift, weight, FOV!, display technology.

I could not play in the Rfit for more than 45, 50 minutes, after that it really starts to feel too warm, little eye strain, general need to take a break.

Looking at your hands with the touch controllers inches away from your face (blue hands) in dead and buried is truly a historic gaming moment, they could almost be your actual hands.

Lets see what onward is like

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Onward should be a cheaper product. With significantly better specs. otherwise VR will stay a niche on pc. PSVR has sold more than both combined at last check. There is a want for VR just not for £800 for device and controlls.

Does not help PC that you really need a 1080 or above gpu to get the most out of it either.

That was my experience with the Rift after about a 1hour I am struggling to keep playing. ( well aware all games say take breaks after 1hour, Who does this though lol)

Been more impressed with 4k the quality improvements are pretty crazy.

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I guess the truth of the matter is that cv1 is still a dk1, in the grand scheme of things.

Its great but you cant see into the distance at the clarity of reality, we need to see near reality impression, what is that 4k,8k,16k,32k,128k, dpi=?

You need too be able to enter into VR, stay as long as you want (or is required) and leave. Not be limited by discomfort,

Gen 2 or cv2 headset should be interesting product because of the huge demand balanced with huge capital investment. Cv1 was the best that was possible.

9. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Having problems getting my rift to work with steam VR (and play onward)

Checking my Oculus gui although it is working for Oculus games it has red arrows by sensors and main rift. hence I believe not compliant for steam VR to work. reports USB drivers should be updated / usb 2.0

ordered 3.0 ext cables, will check if this resolves matters. I am running 2.0 ext cables.

10. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Make sure that you get active extension cables, especially as it sounds like you are running the cables some distance.

Were you previously running everything on USB2 cables? that would explain the warnings in oculus home.

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I got some 3meters, they are standard non active, I believe if you start going to 5meters and up ext cables then you need to get active?

ill be finding out.

Any one know of some thing you can hang on your celing which acts as a spring return cable holder for the hdmi and usb cable, IE some thing that can act as a spring return cable mount for the rifts cables.

I can see why vive are going for a wireless solution for the headset.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

They're (HTC themselves) not at the moment.
    There are a handful of companies putting old SiBeam WirelessHD modules into new cases and selling them as wireless VR (and note that none of these have been independently tested for latency yet) that I would not waste money on, and a few that may actually produce a viable if expensive technique like IMR (custom video encoding FPGA design) and Nitero (dedicated low-latency video transceiver ASIC) but those are years away from anything you can go out and buy.

Wireless video for VR is hard. Required bandwidth to avoid compression is extreme, and every millisecond of transmission latency added is added after timewarp, so cannot be compensated for.

13. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I need some thing to hang from the celing that can act as a guide for the rifts cables, like a distribution outlet with spring return, ill have to try and engineer some thing,

this guy has had a go at it.

Has any one done any thing like this here? (UK)

edit: seems a lot of people have got busy in this area, lots of you tube videos on it.

edit: key item here is

retractable dog leash will check amazon and get one inbound to get into help for this, I nearly tore the cable clean out of the rift playing D&B (ducking down below a table).

Double edit: this guy has done a good job.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2017
  14. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

A VR cafe near my house uses elastic bands to keep the cable loosely bundled above you while you play. I'd say it's slightly more distracting than the cable running down your back (so far all overhead solutions I've tried are), but it's the most comfortable of what I've done and it removes the tripping hazard.

In other news, I'm feeling less dumb about the Oculus scaling issues when it comes to room scale: https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-balancing-bandwidth-on-usb/

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Good link. Ill order a third camera tommorow, its worth it. I ordered the dog leash plus black hair bands (3rd video dude), will report in how it works out, actually ordered two dog leash as that guy seemed to make use of multipul units.

I can see the replica vr gun market booming, people dropping big dollar amount on custom one off sensation feel hand guns, like that blade runner (decker) gun for example.

Dead and buried is competive, i think its the best gaming experience for me, the scale of the maps, situational impression, emersion, acuracy of fire, reloading routine. You can feel the game ( as the other team start to draw ahead).

16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Pretty helpful link.

YOu cant just log into amazon and easily order what is required to extend the rift, it needs a special type of cable / length.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/extension_cables

My CPO 5M HDMI Extension Cable, V1.4, Gold Plated failed to show the rift screen.

So Ill be trying the TV Cables Ultra Slim - 10 feet (3 metres)

Special HDMI cable, did not even know about this,

3m Ultra Slim Active High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

This super thin and flexible HDMI cable has been specially designed for connection to devices in confined spaces or with restricted access to the HDMI ports. The small form factor connecting housing and slimline cable construction is perfect for connecting to awkwardly placed devices in a rack or to displays mounted close to a wall. Unlike some slim HDMI cables from other suppliers this cable contains active electronics to amplify the signal (Redmere HDMI) - essential when using thinner cable to send 18Gbps HDMI over distances greater than 1m.
    •3.6mm super thin cable construction with highly flexible outer jacket
    •Contains Redmere chipset active electronics to amplify the HDMI signal for transmission over slimmer cable

Will get it and test it.

17. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

so it was worth it for Zenimax to take oculus to court then,

A Dallas, Texas jury today awarded half a billion dollars to ZeniMax after finding that Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey, and by extension Oculus, failed to comply with a non-disclosure agreement he signed.

In awarding ZeniMax $500 million, the jury also said that Oculus did not misappropriate trade secrets as contended by ZeniMax.

Of the $500 million, Oculus is paying out $200 million for breaking the NDA and $50 million for copyright infringement. Oculus and Luckey each have to pay $50 million for false designation. And Iribe has to pay $150 million for the same, final count

wow

18. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

and if thats not enough.

ZeniMax may seek court order to halt sale of current Oculus Rift headsets

Fresh off a half billion dollar award in its lawsuit against Oculus, ZeniMax tells Polygon that it may seek an injunction to temporarily stop the sale of Oculus Rift headsets.

“We will consider what further steps we need to take to ensure there will be no ongoing use of our misappropriated technology,” a ZeniMax spokesperson said, “including by seeking an injunction to restrain Oculus and Facebook from their ongoing use of computer code that the jury found infringed ZeniMax’s copyrights.”

double wow, grab a rift whilst you can it seems.

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Zenimax's involvement stopped before the DK1 was even released, and this ruling has confirmed that there was no misappropriation of trade secrets. I guess like with the Apple Vs. Samsung injunction of the S3 while Samsung were selling the S6, Zenimax could get an injunction against sales of a device that hasn't been manufactured for several years.