1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

It looks like I will be going 4 sensors.

I ordered the new in ear and 3rd sensor but my bank decided to brake the order and send me an SMS, small buying purchase pattern my side so I can understand.

Tried to log into my orders and repeat or correct the 3rd sensor order but it would not clear once back from paypal, so just ordered another sensor. now the orginal 3rd sensor is cleared off the back of the 4th sensor.

Oculus appear to be telling people to only go for 3 sensors but there are also reports of 4 sensors giving 99% coverage experience (over 90%, some small brakes in experience with 3 sensors).

Also have the Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 5-Port PCI Express Card as this is the card to get.

Little cross with a vendor I bought my Asus X99 Dulux from, its USB ports failed so it was sent back for RMA,28 days later I got back an Asus X99 E, which has less usb ports on the rear I believe but what ever.

[​IMG]

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've sold my Rift now. Had a lot of fun for 6 months, but there just simply aren't enough full games to really hold my attention right now.

Will pick up gen 2 for sure, but for now, I've had my fill.

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Oculus Rift 2 - Coming in 2019

Rift 1.11 Release Notes

Features

You can now choose to skip updating the firmware on your controllers when repeating Oculus setup.

Improved visibility of Guardian System boundaries with better hand animations.

Improved instructions for Oculus sensor positioning during setup.

Bug-fixes

The following key user-facing issues have been addressed in the 1.11 release:

Improved experimental roomscale and experimental 360º support.

Fixed calibration issues for multi-sensor configurations and Guardian System setup.

Fixed tracking issues with Touch controllers that resulted in tracking judder or loss of hand location or hand orientation in VR.

Fixed sensor issue which prevented Touch controllers from being detected.

Fixed stability issues with floor height in VR.

Improved Guardian System.

Fixed stability issue with Guardian System boundaries moving when the Rift headset wasn’t in use.

Fixed tracking issue where Touch controllers weren’t detected by Guardian System.

Fixed reliability issue with Guardian System boundaries triggering too soon.

Improved Oculus Rift and Touch setup.

Fixed visibility issues with VR screen for adjusting Rift headset lens position.

Fixed search issue with Oculus Store and Oculus Library in the Oculus software.

4. RDex73

RDex73 What's a Dremel?

is my processor going to be good enough?

I've currently got a Xeon 5650 cpu working in a Asus X58 mobo with 16gb of ram and a GTX 970, it plays pretty much all games at 1440p with no issues, i'm thinking about getting an Oculus Rift but the test software on the Oculus site said my processor isn't good enough, anyone out there with a similar setup using VR successfully. I know i need to buy a pci-e usb 3 card but i really don't want to buy the Rift only to discover that it won't work.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It says the same for my rig (listed in signature) but all my Oculus games work fine via Revive through the HTC Vive!

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

extending the rift is not easy!

You can buy the best possible 3m ultra fast HDMI cable(as above) but the screen will stay off.

To progress, have a DVI male to HDMI female(adapter)coming(amazon). I have read people have no issue extending off the DVI port. Should find out on Friday.

So I will be going, gpu dvi port, dvi male to hdmi female adapter, ultra fast 3m HDMI cable, HDMI coupler, rift cable.

Ideally this could be replaced with a 2m/3m dvi male to HDMI female.

Amazon basics 5m USB 3.0 appears to work fine however, (audio plays fine, which is fed via USB).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's difficult to find direct benchmark comparisons for a CPU that old, but the 2.6GHz locked Westmere X5650 is going to be far behind even the Oculus minimum-spec Skylake i3 6100 in single-threaded performance: Anandtech's Bench against the faster i7 970 has it at 58% SP perf. and the X5650 is 86% the clock speed of the i7 970, so SP perf. is likely around 50% of the i3 6100. Single-threaded performanc eis what you want to be looking for for VR, not only because msot games are still run inside a single thread, but because VR depends on low latency, so gettinga job done faster is more important than getting more jobs done at once.
    But on top of that, X58 has no built in USB 3.0 controller, so any USB 3.0 ports will be from a 3rd party USB Host Controller, and worse one made nearly a decade ago. Asus appear to use an NEC controller in most of their boards, which is pretty garbage for latency-sensitive devices. People are still having problems with more recent motherboard using crappy 3rd party controllers, so it's best to just avoid that entirely and use a motherboard which exposes the Intel controller built into more recent chipsets, which works just fine.

tl;dr: It would be less effort (and cheaper) to move to a newer CPU and motherboard than adding an extra USB 3.0 card into your existing motherboard (and still bottlenecked by PCIe 2.0) and wasting cash on the fasted CPU you could install (i7 990X). There is more to VR than just raw performance (because VR relies on low latency, not just raw throughput), and having older components will just lead to problems.
    Oculus didn't just write up that minimum spec for fun!

8. RDex73

RDex73 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info, I think I'll just leave getting the Rift for now then seeing as my rather ancient pc still plays all modern games just fine at 1440p and to be honest I can imagine the novelty of VR would run out quite quickly for me(i'm like that)

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Not a bad choice: things are in the early-adopter stage at the moment, so if you're not comfortable pouring out cash on devices that will inevitably be obsolete within a year or two, it's best just to save up for the next version.

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Robinson: The Journey, Launches with out touch support.
    Thats dumb, they just did great work with touch for the climb and this game came last oct.

Crytek i beileve are baling water so i want to buy this game ( oculas store) but like its more than a year, two years touch have been in the pipeline, have to image they got some early beta units.

If it launched with touch it would have been a home run, a whole heap of people would have bought it this weekend.

VR CV1 is impresive enough today to dedicate a room to it, whilst in game the mind does boggle about just what a gen 2 and gen 3 will be able to achive.

For me recent humbling was application Vtime. It puts you in various settings and you can mingle with up to four people, there is also a germs on a dish (magnify) apperience people connections maker.

I have changed my mind on the FOV vs clarity/resolution front.

VR today 100% needs to improve the distance clarity aspect, its good but needs much better, when you look into the near distance it should be sharper, is that dpi or resolution or both.

You can definately put yourself into scences, reaching down picking up a stick of tnt and throwing it 20 yards with accurate motion blowing up your foe in dead and buried is full body motion engagement, ive not had to fight heads up involving my whole body before, my tip is to do it after a light work out, sure its 150caleries a game in DinB?, i think ill measure that actually i have the tech to do that( pressbutton steel hr work out mode)

There is another home purchase called nature trials which really showed to me the possibilitys for games like star citizen, ultra high quality lush differing settings, green meddows, red vally, waterfall.

I always said that about star citizen, the guns and star ships is just one part of the game, exciting yes but some people might just want to run a space port on a lush planet and build cool things for people to virtual life like navigate partispate in. Even just running a farm in VR with the eliments would be a really amazing escape collect thousands of followers.

With high clarity, the worlds will become more real.

In nature trials (room scale) you can lay flat on your back in a green feild with pretty fllowers, looking up birds circling overhead on abeatyful day, if you just defocus your eyes a tiny bit it sure looks real.

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Robinson has never had motion controller support, even on the PS4 when it launched last year. Retrofitting motion controller support to a game is not an easy flip-a-switch process.

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

FFS

Still a very simple configuration and the tolerances of this rift is so high that to extend you it need a rocket science degree.

running DVI to HDMI 3meter ultra uber active HDMI cable then rift fails to work.

This i s really quite vexing, if extending the rift is just a big issue don't leave it up to Reddit to post suggestions, manufacture, package test and enable me to buy the correct situation, if 1m extension is the max sell it, if 10 meters is possible but needs an active repeater sell that.

If the USB and HDMI have to actually perfectly match else the signals lose sync (HDMI is 3 and USB is 5m etc) then sell the solution.

I have spent like £60 on cables here.

i now have every f^&% cable that could get this working inbound, if it fails to work under 1m conditions matched with 1m USB 3.0 then I wont know what to do (gpu hdmi dvi out test)

:duh:

[​IMG]

ref: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/extension_cables?v=803a3a12-a6b0-11e6-8114-0a159c86d20e

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/extension_cables

Edit: the bottom USB 3.0 ext is to match with my current ultra uber 3m HDMI which lights up the rift but no screen on.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

They're selling the solution: the included cable is the longest they can get it within HDMI signal specs (actually a bit longer than that, they're using a cable-tuning IC from Spectra7 rather than just 'dumb wires'. Without that it;d be a chunky as the Vive cable). You want more cable, you need more signal, so active extenders are needed. Active extenders introduce an active element (duh) which would need to both have sufficient bandwidth for the signal used (which already skirts the upper limit of HDMI 1.3) and not introduce latency (must operate as a true amplifier rather than a rear-and-retransmit buffer). Active extenders are designed with AV equipment in mind, which helpfully conform, to HDMI standards and don't give a toss about latency unless it reaches hundreds of milliseconds. It'll probably take a couple of years for ASIC manufacturers to go from "hey, there's a market here" to actual packaged chips ready for integration.

Some people have had varying degrees of success with passive extenders (e.g. where their GPUs are operating above spec), some have not. As you're finding, Oculus have to cater for the lowest common denominator with what they supply in the box.

14. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I'm not sure how much of this (if any) would apply to the Rift, but here's a thing people can try for fun.

15. loftie

loftie Modder

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Not applicable for now, the cameras require a direct connection to the host PC (no variant on a 'tracking server' like with pro equipment yet).
    Begun, the buzzwording has.

17. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

WOW
    Onward in rift with touch is mind blowing, dam.

I had stream VR issues which I finally resolved (errror 308).

If any one plays or loves counter strike just wait until you get a load of this, its like being a real solder, you can move right up to a wall and peak around (room scale), and move by stick.

Just checked one game out, all players in game were vive players.

I am impressed, I can see a game like that being hugely addictive because of the apparent sensation of freedom of view / movement and accuracy, gun dynamics and feel by using the touch controllers for gun operation is great, seems to be a vive heavy community.

impressive.

Edit:

Last edited: 16 Feb 2017
  18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

OMG - a VR compatible PSU - I MUST BUY IT NOW!

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

VR is a fountain of news and cool stuff.

Learn Languages VR by Mondly
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear-vr/1272636489423125/

IL-2 Sturmovik VR support for Oculus and Vive coming in March
    https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/27768-developer-diary-part-149-discussion/
    This one is a big deal to the sim community.

Alien Isolation running on Oculus CV1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEfxEDe_5y8

Onward Field Guide: Tips and Strategies for New Players
    http://uploadvr.com/onward-guide-tips-strategies/

really interesting to try the language one, looks like it works for Gear so hopefully also works for rift?

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

If I squint at my PSU and blink very quickly, it's passable.