1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL The weapons you would use at your last stand against a legion of zombies

Discussion in 'General' started by Sheiken, 6 Apr 2010.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

a ruger 10/22 with bushnell scope (or marlin model 8 my favorite even though it jams XD) and a mini 14 open sights.. if you've ever shot the mini 14- the muzzle flash who needs flares

357 would be a nice handgun.. a little loud though- blow out your hearing real quick XD probably use the ruger as the workhorse mid range.. the 22 is a pretty fun gun for hunting small game- rabbits, ect.. good 12 guage if you have a source of ducks

then course the mini and 357 to keep the zombie population down.. you'd want to be near a rod and reel to stock up on ammo early too then head for the mountains :D between the fishing and wild game you could live up there for years- let the city boys fight over scraps in a supermarket full of fat people XD

2. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

1st- Hit the local supermarket, If I'm lucky, a few friends will be working that day and will have been intellegent enough to lock it down as best they can. The building only has windows on the front side, then the loading dock with 3 doors to the outside. The other doors are all electronically locked from the inside.

2nd- load up the converted school bus/RV (if I have one by then) with as much food as possible, along with a small group of friends who have the skills and other supplies we need.
    -guns
    -survival gear
    -welding equipment and tools
    -fuel

3- Head north, away from the more populated areas to the south (Albany, NYC, Hartford, Springfield)

4- Make our way out to Monhegan Island I have visited/lived on this island for years, and, it has many advantages over other places I have considered)

-remoteness
    -inaccessibility (relative)
    -supply of fresh water (many wells on the island, along with large holding tanks that gravity feed the island)
    -year-round access to food (large deer population on the island, as well as lobstering year round
    -power- the Island has it's own diesel generator power plant, which will only last so long after the fuel stops flowing. In the next several years they are also working on putting up wind generators, which would be an extremely valuable resource should they be built before the zombie apocalypse. The island is also already heavily reliant on PV (photovioltic (a.k.a. solar power)) and small, privately owned wind generators.
    -Location- 10 miles from the mainland (and the closest population center.
    -Population- after the 2000 census, only 75 year-round residents, mainly lobstermen and their families (less chance of landing on a zombie infested island, and, if we do, less to kill off before we are safe).
    -Defense- several locations on the island are easily defensible, including the lighthouse (a 50 foot, granite tower), Gull Rock, a 100 foot high rock with one side facing the sea, and one facing a valley and the rest of the island. Manana Island, the rock across the bay, which has only one easy (if we are talking slow, lumbering zombies here) access point, the old rail line that runs down a steep cliff to the dock that the coast guard used to haul rowboats up to the summit of the island, it also has a large fog station, which is build of heavy cement blocks.
    -accessibility- easily reached by any boat with sufficient fuel, Port Clyde, one of the harbors that has a ferry/mail boat that goes out to the island also has a retired military landing craft which would be a boon to have to transport large numbers of people and supplies to the island.

Weapons- of course heavy weapons would be the ideal, but it is unlikely that they will be easily accessible in a bug out situation.

-small arms would be most common, hunting rifles, bows, shotguns, pistols, and homemade explosives
    -Fortification and keeping our heads down will be our main defense, avoiding confrontation and staying vigilant will be our best defense.

3. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

This guy

[​IMG]

boiled_elephant likes this.
  4. chimmy09

chimmy09 What's a Dremel?

this man...
    [​IMG]

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Last time I was at Linton-on-Ouse it was pretty sparsely populated with just a group of fast jet trainee pilots milling around!:D

For me it would have to be a 50cal Desert Eagle, M60 and an M-32 granade launcher.

Blades don't need reloading but I doubt you'd be able to kill more than two zombies before they nom you.

6. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

i think the weapons you need will depend very much on what type of the 4 basic zombie types you are facing

1) 28 days later -
    actually alive just infected with something, so water etc a barrier
    very fast moving
    any bodily fluids will infect you

2) L4D / L4D2 -
    can be very fast
    does not infect you just trys to eat you

3) Resident Evil -
    generally very slow
    can infect you with a bite

4) Dawn of the Dead -
    totally dead so water etc no barrier
    very fast
    infect by a bite

the big problem is the 28 days later zombie as you have to either kill from a distance or use blunt objects to try and distroy the skull without breaking the skin, so if you are against a legion of them your are pretty much screwed since you can not dispatch them en-mass without having fluids spraying everywhere

all the others you need a good selection of weapons, to cover long medium and short range as well as 'hand to hand'

one thing people seem to have missed which is on my to do list go to a museam and get some medievil metal gauntlets for lower arm protection against bites also other items of armour to be used as and when it might be needed, ok so full armour is a bad idea since you need to be able to move quickly in 3 of the 4 potential situations but having your arms and lower legs would be a good idea as these areas are the most commen for getting bitten due to them sticking out and being the natural thing you would use to kick and push the zombies away if they get to close

i do think everyone should have some form of bow in their inventory due to minimum moving parts yet still medium range combat and the ability to make your own ammo and re-use some of your old arrows if you have chance to pick it back up, add that to the point that arrows can be used on their own as a short range weapon (although not a great one)

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I think I have the perfect model situation for surviving the 28 days later zombie.

1. Acquire a large field.

2. Build an underground or aboveground bunker/tower with only one heavily fortified entry point with some kind of vertically walled concrete structure overlooking all the surrounding land.

3. Mount chainguns or similar on four corners of the roof, or positioned to personal taste.

4. Stock it up like a nuclear fallout shelter. Dig a tunnel into a supermarket over the next few weeks if possible; acquiring some kind of drilling equipment in advance would help this part.

Obviously you'd have to be filthy rich and unbound by laws, but that's pretty much the ideal, no-risks model. The easiest and safest way to deal with them long-term will be a huge open space and some nice weapons. It'd probably require a team of people, but that's a given for surviving anyway frankly. I Am Legend makes the very good point that, while safer, solitude does your head in eventually.

The social side is a whole other thing. No women/no men? People start killing themselves or going spare and killing each other. Both genders? People develop a complex social structure, relationships and so forth...but everyone has a gun. So every time there's an argument, someone dies (c.f. Lost).

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I can see the attraction of underground, believe me I really can, but I think I'd rather use something above ground. If only because removing staircases is easier than blocking them off.

Something like the flak towers Nazi Germany built in WWII. Massive structures that can take a pounding (See the reports of one, still standing, that was showered with 103mm howitzer shells), and have sufficient room for amenities such as beds, armouries, provisions, the ability to have slide open doors (IE: they slide across the opening, rather than opening in or out) fitted, and of course, room for growing things on the roof, as well as offering reasonable height to keep watch. They can also house a fair number of people, which would make like a shitload easier in terms of "controlling" the populaces sanity.

http://www.airpower.at/news03/0813_luftkrieg_ostmark/flaktuerme.htm

9. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Are we talking resident evil slow zombies or left4dead evil horde non stop zombies on speed, or 28 days later zombies where avoiding all contact is better?

Either way Id just use what I have at hand. Some pertrol, a motor and a lawn mower blade would be some fun. Living in NI, I know how to make a few fertilizer bombs too ;) lol Too many people go for guns, get parinoid and shoot themselves or you.

Best thing for a last stand is finding a bottleneck, hording everything into one area and cutting them down like going over the top in ww1.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

If I had to bunker down, I know what I would want at my disposal:
    [​IMG]
    a GAU-8 Avenger.
    7 30mm barrels, 4500 rounds per minute, preferably loaded up with HEIs. nothing like creating fire at a thousand metre plus distance, and the destructive force of 30mm shells... :D
    And yes... i know it's a bit unhandy, at 9 metres length... hence only wanting to use it in case of having to bunker,

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Assuming they're normal zombies that go down like people:
    Mounted at a choke point I'd have an M61 Vulcan with as much ammo as possible, probably with a huge drum of water dribbling onto it for extra cooling if the **** gets thick.

Personal use I'd have a USAS12 with a big old stack of drums, a Beretta 93R and a USP .45 for the absolute last resort.

If they're the nasty blow-them-to-bits type zombies I'd want a Mk19 with a great big belt of grenades to last as long as possible, a USAS12 for closer combat and a pair of deagles for the last moments.

12. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

[​IMG]

1 spike, kill the leader and the rest will fall! :p

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Neat little bit of history there. A great idea too. Easy to modify the concept for your average Joe since most zombies, with the exception of L4D mutant ones, would be stopped by simply building a house 10' above ground on a concrete foundation. No non-modified human body can break through 6" of concrete withough tools, regardless of how unhumanly motivated it is. Also, unless they're smart and nimble enough to jump and climb 10' should be good. If you're extra worried you can increase the height, or add spikes/hard to climb designs to the top. Some building codes might require certain amounts of ventilation, you'd have to make sure the openings are well barred. If you're worried about 28 Days style fluids then make sure you provide means to seal the vents once you pass inspection. If you're worried about aesthetics, consider a layer of bricks on the outside for show.

Expanding on the idea of pro-active home defense, 10-12' chain link surrounding your land is a good start. Get a swing gate to allow vehicle access while still giving the option for a completely enclosed compound. Properly installed chain link is tough stuff for a human body to take down and there are additional ways to slightly reinforce it after installation. Make sure there is as little space between poles as you can possibly order and get as thick of poles/wire as you can. One simple fix to deter climbing is plastic slats as such. It requires far more dexterity to climb a fence with these, something which zombies sorely lack.

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The Flak Towers...time to move to germany eh?

15. chimmy09

you should read the zombie survival guide...in regards to the chain link fortifications and all...depending on the number of zombies that are coming for you, they may just be able to climb one another to get over the fence, but then, if there is that many zombies coming for you, you are probably ****ed anyways. and again it would depend on what type of zombies, as the L4D zombies just climb that **** like nobody's business.

16. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

It would probably be pretty difficult to modify a P90 to accept other ammo. You would need a different barrel and bolt carrier assembly obviously. The barrel would need a different twist rate on the rifling than the original. You'd have to forge your own parts, and allow for how the heavier bullets would affect reliability of cycling the ammunition. The Magazine would also have to be altered as well. Since there aren't any third party manufacturers that have the rights to the design, unless FN makes alternate models its probably not going to happen.

If you wanted a submachine gun style weapon in 9mm or .45 there are probably easier ways to go about it like the Berretta Cx4, HK USC 9 (which can be modified into a UMP) , or probably some other ones that I am not remembering. Though your location indicates California which may introduce some complications if you were to obtain said weapon prior to the zombie apocolypse.

Unfortunately in Arizona we only have a number of decent sized bases, Luke AFB near Phoenix (F-16 training facility), Davis Monthan in Tuscon and Yuma Aerial Gunnery range. Even then I doubt there are enough personnel to handle the 6 million potential zombie residents.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2010
  17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The wanna be architect/civil engineer/vigilante soldier+zombie slayer in me enjoys the challenge of coming up with these things on its own, but the reasonable side of me will certainly have to look into it :D

One little thing I really enjoy is a soldier's field manual from 1918. Has names and little notes from the original owners, quite the antique. Found it at a thift store! What a shame, I had to liberate it. It has detailed descriptions of how to construct different trench designs and the benefits of each. Goes so far as to explain the best ways to expand your trench while under constant watch/fire from the enemy. Granted, zombies don't have guns but due to the nature of warfare in that time it does provide information on preventing people from running in on foot. It's a fun read at the very least, even if I'll never build a trench or arrange a cavalry formation!

18. chimmy09

that book actually sounds pretty awesome, but on an unrelated note...how is civil engineering treating you? it decided kick me in the nuts so i switched things up.

now back to the zombies. does anyone else think that having vega's claw glove thing would be pretty epic? you would have to be careful to not get it stuck in an undead skull though...

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Long range

[​IMG]
    M24 Supermagnum in a .338 lapua

Mid range

[​IMG]
    M16A1 with the grenade launcher

[​IMG]
    10/22 b/c ammo is cheap/easy to find

Short range

[​IMG]
    easy choice for a swarm attack

[​IMG]
    blowin head off

[​IMG]
    Nothing stops like a .45

Hand to hand

[​IMG]
    K-BAR is a simple choice in hand to hand zombie killin

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Actually the MP5 would be a pretty decent choice, seeing as there's TONS of 9mm ammo around.

Although A drum version would be a bit..better.