1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education The weight loss thread

Discussion in 'General' started by mansueto, 25 Feb 2013.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

that's really good! how many chin ups can you do :D
    Are you supporting it with life style choices of food, good sleeping pattern etc?

What gets measured can be improved (or another way, what gets measured gets done).

interesting exploration of how much work it would take me to get into 205 LB shape?
    I am say, 235lb, target weight 205, that's 30Lb of fat to lose.

roughly 3500caleries in a pound of fat apparently give or take?

30x3500 = 105,000 (105k calories).

Getting on an elliptical, setting the level to 45 or 50 is around 750caleries an hour, means it would take around 140hours straight or 5.8 days non stop, to lose the weight I need to shift.

My old ex boss who works out at home gym (fairly decent house, Indian all the gang in it) he invested in a home sauna

So for people that have space, and a few thousands, you can fit in a modern sauna shower

https://www.fitnessblender.com/blog/can-you-lose-weight-in-a-sauna-calories-burned-in-sauna

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I think it would be very easy for most people to lose weight with ample time and resources available to them. For most of us, it's the extra effort (and sacrifice) that makes it an arduous chore. When I settle into a routine of snacking and picking, it's extremely difficult for me to stop.

I'm back in weight-loss mode after gaining about a stone over summer. At the time I last posted (late April/early May) I was just under 13 stone, and I'm now exactly 14 stone (as of Sunday last week) and I've set myself a target weight loss of 2lbs per week between now and Christmas. I'm not being overly tight about it because not meeting targets is a sure way to kill any motivation, but even some weight loss would be a good boost for me at the moment so I am trying not to stagnate.

My biggest problem now is lack of exercise because of so little time (and sleep deprivation), and if I can start walking and exercising again, I should be set for a 13 stone Christmas easily.

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

ref trackers. have a fitbit surge here but... looking at the fitbit wifi smart scale (appears to be not very accurate).

found this...

Withings Steel HR looks nice for when ever it is available. you can get a matching smart scale,

even the Activité Steel

looks nicer on the wrist than a fitbit just a tad

has any one got one of these? options?

4. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Since January last year I started at my peak weight of 21 stone. I've made quite a few changes in my life, got rid of a very stressful and unloving and un caring partner, and now as type this now weigh in at 17 Stone 10 pounds.

Still got more to shift but very happy with those numbers.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

pretty interesting to see the movement practise,

4th Jan 2017: back up to 232LB
    goal; 210 and take stock, 22pounds, go go go.

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Right, need to shift some general mass, before Christmas I was cruising toward my weight goal of 12 stone 5Lb, got down to 12 stone 10Lb's. Unfortunately I had a horrid cold and Christmas occurred so I basically sat didn't move much an ate so in the space of about three weeks I've gone up to 13 stone 10Lb's.
    Clothes are no longer comfortable an its depressing me so.

Current - 192lbs

Not setting a goal its more reducing the flab an hopefully ill be replacing flab with muscle so its more removing inches off the belly than actual weight.
    I cycle which is great for the legs an that's about it. Leg wise I'm solid I had to go up a waist size because my quads got too big. Above the waist isn't good belly akin to a bag of wet sand moobs an a double chin.

Plan,
    Job wise I'm sat pretty much 100% of the time remote support stuff. So Lunch breaks to start with I'll go for a walk, there's a smallish wood a stones throw from here I can do a lap in 45 minutes which is ideal. Cycling I'm upping my annual distance by double aiming for 3000 miles this year.
    Diet wise is usually alright I'm not a fan of crisps chocolate or fizzy drinks I will be upping my water intake which allegedly helps reduce retained water but should bump up my metabolism slightly.
    Going to weigh myself again on the 14th see if I'm nudging in the right direction at all.

8. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

1st Jan - 232lbs
    Today - 228lbs
    Target - 180lbs

I don't have a target date, but I reckon I'm aiming to lose about 10lb/month and 220, 210, 200 etc are mini targets.

There is a free gym at work and I've joined the nearest gym to me to go on weekends. No excuses whatsoever not to do this.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I got on the scales this morning and had a shock. I've eaten very little all day, and I'm now browsing for turbo trainers. I've got almost a stone and a half to lose, and I'm not looking forward to it...!

10. legoman

Pre or post poo weight?

riding club I'm with we class our "racing weight" as post toilet visit so when people are around we don't want to offend we just say "I need to get to my racing weight".

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Haha I'd done a whopper before I weighed myself. A vain attempt to make it better, it turns out...! It's referred to as 'losing a stone' in our house :hehe:

I'm making a list of manual jobs to do outside as that's like exercise without really trying - I love digging a good hole!

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

my experience from before (lost over 14lb in 2 months or some thing stupid) was that weight came off not so much from exercise, but from diet, so that is to say.

Take your normal day, sitting down at home, or getting up and traveling to work, what ever it is your normal day consists of.

Well there is an optimum, a line, a way to eat in your days, that you can apply the rule of duration beats "goal".

What this means is, just by being alive and some what mobile and active, (alert burns calories) you have a maintenance calories count, lets take example that you will burn 3000 calories just by living a normal day with a tiny small effort towards exercise, 5 or 10 minutes.

Well you have a simple concept, if you eat less than 3k calories, say the famous 1k calories lunch thing... you have 1.5k to play with.

You WILL lose 500calories a day.

1pound of fat = 3500 calories, so after 6 days..... you will have lost conformably 1 pound of weight.

Your body cant stop the weight loss (Calories In = Calories Out,).

What I found interesting was when you push the boat out a little bit... you actually have 2 or 3 "good days" of diet, without but preferably matched with some decent walking or dare we go for it light exercise.

For me weight poured off, which is great but not the most important thing, the most important thing is to live through that process, new process. and the feelings, feel of the body.

If you go through 2 or three days of beating the Calories in vs the calories out count, what it feels like to be 1000k short a day but had a nice liquid breakfast, banana, healthy salad (no sauce).

To lose weight, its about eating less than your service calories count.

If you want to sit on a cushion playing xbox or study on your computer for a week you could do that and lose 6lb, I have done that, three days of little eating and check the scales and im not 230-x im down at 226 just from basically not eating.

Also heaven forbid but fasting is ok, after a certain amount of hours 16 or more hours, your body starts to understand there is no food coming in, and it adjusts, fasting with liquid, 2,3 days always felt really great, my mind and connection to my body was reset.

Any way my point is, the most valuable thing you can do, is go through a small period of successfully beating the calories count math, and see the scale dropping, 1,2,3,4 pounds and the feeling of "waking state burning".

If your service count is say 3000k calories, and you consume 4k... your going to put on weight, if you catch yourself that you have taken in 4k but smash yourself in the gym after work for 2 hours burning 1.5k on top of your service count of 3k you will be back to deficit of 500caleries.

you can do no exercise at all just "living", and cut a way through it by eating control to lose masses of weight. duration and habit are very powerful, your body is a machine. being your correct weight not even super fit feels good,

sorry for the rant, every ones sharing can help, difficult topic, for us all.

I should be about 200 so, I am two stone over weight tbh, visceral fat.....

Last point, we all know roughly or have a very good idea why we are over weight, for me its bread backed up by eating late at night.... after 6pm..... stop eating.

any one has any mentor cool stuff about weight loss post it,

good luck

13. bagman

bagman Minimodder

01/01/2016 was 89Kgs and 23/12/2016 80kgs.

At 89Kgs 30% body fat, at 80kgs 20% body fat. Now I am going to 10% body fat. My goal is to be 10% by June.

14. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

just updating my ipod shuffle 2gb, typical gym work out songs.... good idea, then have to put a few...

that music (last) by Bukem is impressive production imo, can get dropped any place globally any club setting and it would rock the house.

more?

Last edited: 4 Jan 2017
  15. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

Nice!!!! You look great!!! I Love the gym!!

16. legoman

Well, as of this morning I'm now 187 Lbs so thats 5 Lbs loss. Been running the same route every other day calf muscles are still painful day after. Not been cycling mainly because its been icey everywhere which makes things interesting so been using the turbo trainer.

Also getting Zwift sorted sort of an online cycling race simulator to push me. Cancelled my Cineworld card an went with that, costs less, an burns calories better so win win. Run later an some intervals on the bike after.

17. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

After getting home from Christmas travels I weighed myself and was at 228lbs, my highest weight ever. I'm 6'-4" tall (193cm), so I've always worn the weight well.

In high school I weighed 175lbs, which I would say at this point was probably a good 10lbs too thin.
    When I started college I gained weight up to a decently healthy 200lbs and no longer looked like I was starving all the time.
    When I got married I weighed 208lbs and I was around that weight to 212lbs for most of my marriage.
    Now that I've moved and started my career I've put on weight. Life has been stressful and I've been eating too much.

So my wife and I started doing keto at the beginning of the year. I had to take a week off when I was at a work conference with no car for a week, so I was at the mercy of what I could eat within walking distance of the hotel. But I've still lost 10lbs since January 1st. My goal is 190lbs.

18. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Can you give some specifics on what you are eating on keto and/or what plan you are following? I've long been interested in it and I'm getting back in the gym after a year out so want to cut first.

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm down to 74kg from 84kg in August. Gonna keep it off too!

20. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I'm still pretty new to it, so I've just been following the general rules of thumb: ~20g net carbs max per day, as much protein as you need per your lean body mass and if you're working out or not, and a calorie count based on how much you're trying to lose and how quickly (this is more or less a simple calories in<calories out formula).

So I look at the food labels of what I'm eating and add those carbs to my daily intake until I max it out. As I get more familiar with it and how my body acts I'm sure I'll be able to tweak a few things and cater it to me better.

I eat a lot of bacon, eggs, sausage, ham. Some people go crazy about the carb count in vegetables, but I've never liked veggies very much, so I don't even worry at all since I'm not going to be eating many, even if it's a relatively sweet vegetable.

That said, I'm not buying carrots since they're high in sugar. All potatoes are out, although if I plan ahead I could eat half a sweet potato at dinner if I wanted.

I snack on cheese and nuts. I'll eat whole fat cottage cheese too (I love it).

When I want something sweet there's diet soda, dark chocolate, these amazing dark chocolate almonds that are a life saver, and this ice cream called Halo Top that's high in protein and low(ish) in net carbs that I only eat in moderation on the weekends.

So I'm still figuring it out, but it's been working so far.

Digi likes this.