1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U The Wii!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Firehed, 20 Nov 2006.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I haven't spotted any threads on the thing yet, or stories about the launch for that matter. I demoed one yesterday at EBGames and I'm getting one ASAP (likely tomorrow when another shipment comes in at many local stores) but I'm a little curious why nobody seems to have talked about it now that it's launched?

Everyone just too busy playing with theirs? For anyone who's managed to get one already, what are your first impressions so far? I saw a demo PS3 and it looked pathetic, especially next to the 360 unit six feet to the left showing Gears of War (which looks mighty impressive). OTOH, I don't even like racing games but that's what was on the Wii demo unit and I really loved the experience. On a related note, anyone know what connectivity to the TV it offers out of the box?

So...what are people's thoughts? Have one...getting one...no way...too busy playing to respond?

2. abreev8

abreev8 New Member

It has regular old composite cables out of the box (red, white, and yellow). You can buy component cables for it, but they're kinda hard to get right now. Nintendo sold out of them lest week.

3. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

I bought two yesterday at target

4. LockmanX

LockmanX New Member

I was up all night tonight playing WiiSports tennis with a friend. We were at it for about 5 hours strait. It's just too much fun. Plus, the game can turn into a hell of a workout if you start to really get into it.

I work in a LAN center and we got a PS3 today as well. Once it was hooked up and running Resistance, there was no one to play it. Everyone was waiting for their turn at doubles Wii tennis across the room. And then we broke out the Super Monkey Ball party games....

People can say what they want about the "kiddie-ness" of the Wii but I'll be damned if I don't want one now. Nintendo definitely got it right.

5. M4RTIN

M4RTIN New Member

i cant wait for my brother to get one for xmas.. 2 player wii sports and wii play should be great

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I am waiting patiently for the UK's technology time distortion feild to catch up with the rest of the friggin world. Then I shall have my wii.

7. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I think 1 thing people havent touched on is the backward compatibality.

All well and good for the new games but what about the GC games?

I have a few GC games lying about and so i would like to see how they turn out on the Wii, also my main gripe is how would the controls work?

Will the new Wiimote be in use or would i need to kook up my old GC controller for the GC games? I know you need a GC/Retrol controller for the old download archive games but my questions are raised for the GC specific games.

Either way....im waiting a week after its been released over here to see if i can get my hands on one, which most likely i will get one....tho i would have wanted a black one.

8. M4RTIN

M4RTIN New Member

you can only play GC games with the GC controller, old games can use the GC one or the coming soon analogue controller

9. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

tbh, id rather ***, far more pleasing than jumping around the room like a spastic on ecstacy =S

im still waiting for those dirty games to come out on it haha, the use of the remote would certianly be.. creative..

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Nov 2006
  10. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

The controller doesn't have to have exagerated movement i don't think... It can be used with simple flicks of the wrist and stuff, but if you want to go crazy and flail your arms arround you can... I will be... I want to look as stupid as possible!

11. themax

themax New Member

I've heard that some of the Wiis (a small amount) are having issues. Requring some startup disc before it can runs games (and some units shipping without said startup disc). Like I said, just a very small amount. On a positive note, the Virtual Console appears to be picking up alot of momentum. I hear they are going to be adding Sega Genesis games to it as well; if that's true then it gives the Wii a lot of replay points. Excite Truck didn't really come off well to me, and after I figured out the SIXAXIS PS3 controller can be used to control the cars in Motostorm the same way the Wiimote controls in Excite Truck anything fun about it was pushed aside quickly in favor of MotoStorm =(.

I'll be getting my Wii later next year if I can resisit long enough haha. Maybe I can swing one for Christmas. Has anyone downloaded and tried Opera yet on it? I'd love to hear how the browing on the Wii is.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2006
  12. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Opera isn't available yet but yes, the Genesis is one of the consoles being made available on the Virtual Console store, as well as the SNES, NES, N64 and some random one with FX in the name.

<A88>

13. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

Ditto! You know when you are getting old/less emo when you really don't care about how you look when doing something.

The g/f and I are buying one launch day and as it happens also taking the day off.

The main question though is; is the AV connector on the back the same as a GC? I ask because the price for RGB scart cables is through the roof for the Wii (£22) and if I can re-use old stuff I will :D

14. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

for the first time, ever, for a nintendo console, the AV connector on the back is different.

15. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Got mine pre-ordered at GAME in 'Boro. #11 :D

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Much shame, not that I have a component cable for a GC. Of course, those cheap off-brand ones will be available very shortly for a third the price. I picked up a generic component/s/composite video switch, with LAN(!), for about $15.

The demo unit looked like it had an optical cable plugged into the back of the thing, but I couldn't get a very clear look. Can anyone confirm or refute that? I don't really want to have to use a wonky RCA to 3.5mm adapter longer than I have to (as my thanksgiving break speakers are some crap things that came with an old Dell and couldn't handle optical if it's supported).

I just wish websites actually covered this info...:grr:

Hopefully I can get one tomorrow either way. A bunch of stores were supposed to get more in today but it sounds like their shipments were a bit late (and nobody's doing calling, let alone restock-preorders). Of course, I need a good excuse to get out of the house and wander the stores. Nothing like New England weather when you left your proper jacket at school during break :wallbash:

17. mushky

mushky gimme snails

no optical out on the wii. I got my pre-order confirmation through yesterday :) More exciting than the 360 release IMO, even though there isn't enough quality in the game line-up.

18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I think that the DVD edition will probably have the optical output, hence why Nintendo said it'd be more then just a firmware upgrade

19. ChriX

ChriX ^

Woohoo! My Play pre-order was declined much like everyone elses, but I managed to get on in with Amazon on their first batch this morning, in about the 30 seconds they were for sale! They say it should arrive on the 8th, along with Wii Play - top job! :D

20. oasked

oasked Stuck in the Mud

I hate you. :p I was hammering Amazon but they never showed up as being in stock for me.

I just hope my Woolworths Pre-Order (from a couple of weeks ago) comes through ok. :)

Tags: