1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL The Wikipedia Game

Discussion in 'General' started by hacker 8991, 28 Feb 2006.

1. mayotimerhyme

mayotimerhyme What's a Dremel?

ouch that hurt my head

main>WW2>United States>50 states (not sure if thats a list you can go and check) the title is US state> commonwealth of pennsylvania>highway>US route 30>US Route 30 in Pennsylvania> PA route 113
    :clap:

thats uhh 8 clicks xD i probably couldve shaved it to 6-7 but oh well

next page is

Ontario Health Insurance Plan
    :D

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Main Page -> Vietnam War -> Canada -> Medicare (Canada) (From the link Universal health care) -> Ontario Health Insurance Plan

Next up

Promethium

3. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

WWII > Bomber > Bomb > Teller-Ulam design > Hydrogen > Promethium

5 clicks

Fort Gibson National Cemetery

4. hottrot

hottrot What's a Dremel?

Dartmouth > Appalachian Trail > Tennessee > Memphis, Tennessee > United States National Cemetery > Fort Gibson National Cemetery

6 clicks

PGA Tour of Australasia

5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Main Page > United States > Golf > PGA Tour > Official World Golf Rankings > PGA Tour of Australasia

Find Taeke Taekema

6. hottrot

hottrot What's a Dremel?

2008 Summer Olympics > 2004 Summer Olympics > Netherlands at the 2004 Summer Olympics > Taeke Takima

4 clicks!

Find Garapa... He he he.

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Main Page > August 31 > Brazil > Sugarcane > Garapa

Next up XnGine

8. hottrot

hottrot What's a Dremel?

Mushroom > Super Mushroom > Platform Game > Console role-playing game > Ultima (video game series) > Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind > XnGine

6 Clicks

Find Barb Wire. The superhero, not the wire :D

9. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

[​IMG]

i win.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Wikipedia> English Wikipedia> United States> U.S. State> State of Maryland> Rockville> Bethesda Softworks> Terminator: Future Shock> XnGine

9 (lots) of clicks

Edit:
    Main Page> Dominican Republic> January 1> January 17th> Amelbert (Gamelbert of Michaelsbuch)> Utto> Utto (disambiguation)> Udo> Udo Kier> Barb Wire :lol:

"Specific gravity" anyone?

Last edited: 1 Sep 2008
  11. hottrot

hottrot What's a Dremel?

Powder (substance) > Fluidized bed combustion > Coal > Mineral > Specific Gravity

5 clicks

Who can find... The "Bengal Engineer Group"

12. wikipediagameguru

wikipediagameguru What's a Dremel?

The Wikipedia Game Website

Come check out the website, let me know what you think. It should be fully up and running by the end of this month. Feel free to link to it, and make sure to tell everyone about the wikipedia game :].

www.thewikipediagame.com
    :clap:

Last edited: 17 Sep 2008
  13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

^^not spam^^
    But please don't just pimp your site (even if it isn't yours) it is against the forum rules.

Other than that welcome to the forums and that site is good, I like the word generator, good for people who don't know what to put next.

14. wikipediagameguru

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

And sorry for putting the link up like that, but I don't have a signature so that's all I can do.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2008
  15. wikipediagameguru

advice?

hey i was just wondering, whats the best way to get a forum to a solid start?
    if anyone could help me out getting mine going please email me john "at" thewikipediagame.com

of if you have a little time, please just visit the forum on the website and join it.

Thanks for all help.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2008
  16. Ididitforthelulz

Ididitforthelulz What's a Dremel?

mainpage>burma>india>indian army>bengal engineer group
    5 clicks
    find "stripeback hap"

17. Ididitforthelulz

Ididitforthelulz What's a Dremel?

mainpage>jetpack>kerosene>kerosene lamp>lighter
    5 clicks Cheesecake!

18. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

Ididitforthelulz's response directed my attention back to this thread (which I had forgot for a while). I started thinking: is there an algorithmic way to solve this problem? In other words, given two (valid) Wikipedia pages, could a program find the distance between them? Could this program then be used to find the average distance between articles on Wikipedia, thus establishing a type of six degrees of separation for Wikipedia (which is ironically mentioned in the article itself).

I don't think it can be done because a program wouldn't get any context clues from the pages. That is, it would have to bring up the "what links here" page and exhaust all the options (effectively doing a breadth-first search). Mind boggling amount of complexity there. And of course you'd be slowed down by HTTP requests.

That being said:

Main PageAmphibianEvolutionCichlidBuccochromisStripeback hap
    (This was hard. I had to start at the end since only one page links to it, and it's a disambiguation page.)

The next item is cheesecake.

19. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I think it could be done - most of the strings here are about six-seven links long. If we assume each page has 100 pages linking to it and from it, a seven-link string could be found with only needing to load 2,000,000 pages, assuming there are no overlaps. Considering that there are only 2,770,000 pages in the English wiki, I'd say that the overlaps involved will be massive, so filtering those out would massively reduce the size required.

As far as context goes, I would say a dictionary attack would be quite reasonable - if a page doesn't link to the generic categories that the target word does, and the page isn't itself general enough to be in a dictionary, it is probably safe to disregard.

(would be writing a wikipedia scanner himself, if he wasn't busy with other projects)

20. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

After some light digging around and plugging away at a PHP script, I discovered this:
    So I'm currently download the XML database dump of Wikipedia. All 4GB of it. (Actually, I'll download it tomorrow while I'm at school.)

Luckily I just finished a project using DBXML, so I might be able to get some interesting results from this using that. At the very least I'll run some scripts on it.