1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The Windows 10 Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by impar, 30 Sep 2014.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

View>Options, General tab, Open File Explorer to: This PC instead of Quick Access.

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Thanks, I'll try when I get home

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Doesn't make any difference, it stays exactly the same if I use "This PC" instead of "Quick Access" :confused:

4. faugusztin

It should default to with that setting set to This PC, except obviously you will have the Folders/Network Locations and side bar stuff expanded. But you will have your drives there directly :
    [​IMG]

Or am i misunderstanding something ?

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Anyone transitioned to Windows 10 with an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe motherboard? Looks like I'll be upgrading to keep pace for the sake of VR! Any advice and relevant drivers would be gratefully received. :thumb:

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Thanks for the info,
    I saw no difference between this PC and Quick Access, but it may have been the noncollapsed "folders" that distract me.

I'll recheck (wasn't there over the weekend)

7. faugusztin

Quick access is filled with "frequent folders".
    This PC is filled with "System folders (Desktop, Documents etc)", "Devices and drives" (there are your hard drives) and Network Locations (mapped drives). So there is a huge difference.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

'This PC' view on the left vs 'Quick Access' view on the right -

[​IMG]

As you can see there is some overlap between the two - the 'Folders' in This PC are pinned to the Frequent Folders list in quick access so on first glance it could appear like nothing's changed...

9. Xir

Xir Modder

found it, it just didn't react to ok or use this now, I had to close and reopen the explorer window

10. wecrookie

wecrookie Minimodder

Decided to let windows upgrade me,very painless & so far I'm liking it.......

yours wecrookie:confused:

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Tried W10 on my tablet again. Seems a bit better, maybe I'm just getting used to it. Browser is still terrible though.

Anyone know a good browser for a W10 tablet? Something similar to W8 Modern I.E. would be great - fullscreen with a address bar toggle, back/forward swipe gestures. Or if you know any chrome extenstions for these so I can use them with Opera.

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

MS accused of dirty tricks to install Windows 10

BBC clicky

Wow. Just frikkin wow. That's the kind of sh!t you'd expect from malware scummers.

13. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Just updated actually to Windows 10, beginning some testing and so far enjoying it...

14. Xir

Xir Modder

EDGE is the only one where the opening of the on-board-keyboard really works....
    Don't understand why Mozilla cant get their thumbs out...

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Opera works alright, but it still lacks back/forward gestures, which is odd because I'm 90% it used to have them, and I prefer the Metro IE UI. The whole minimalist thing was awesome IMO.

Actually I was rather surprised there wasn't an extension for Chrome/Opera to make it look that way.

16. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Edge has been updated in the inside builds to support swiping back/forwards. This, along with extension support, has cemented it as my go-to browser in both my tablet and my desktop. If you're not wanting to install an insider build then I think both features should be coming to everyone with next months Anniversary update.

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Baffles me as to why they went backwards, but glad it's finally in. I doubt we'll ever see Edge look like Metro IE though, as it's probably simply too confusing (disjointed) for everyone to have a different UI. Extensions will also be a boon! I can see me switching between Edge/Opera on the tablet depending on my mood.

Cheers for the info Krazeh.

18. oscy

oscy Modder

My girlfriend has a Windows 7 Starter laptop which is slow as ****. It's already been reinstalled. I think it has 1GB RAM. So would it be a bit better to 'upgrade' to Windows 10, or would it be even slower given it's a bit old and slow?

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I upgraded my 1GB Linx 7 from 8.1 (with Bing) to 10 a while back and I haven't noticed any decline in performance. If anything, it's a little snappier under 10 than 8.1.

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I actually find the opposite to bawjaws in that my Linx 8 is a little bit slower that when running W8.1. However, in either case it should be faster than W7. Worst case scenario, you could always roll back.

W10, from what I've seen, uses a bit more RAM on my tablet than 8 did, but it still keeps working fine with it's 1GB, so either it's managing the RAM well - actually better than 8 - or it's making use of page filling off the SSD which has minimal performance impact.