1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Wolf Among Us: Season One Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 1 Aug 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

You (they?) lost me as soon as you mentioned "quick time event"

Seriously why do devs STILL insist on this jarring mechanic?

When I'm in a fight I want to be actively engaged, not waiting for a prompt, second guessing which random button it's going to be this time.

When in a cut scene, I want to sit back and watch it, not keep expecting to suddenly have to "press X to not die" with little warning!

(dishonourable mention for "press button repeatedly as fast as possible to do action" like grates/grapple in Batman Arkham series. Hold = passable. Furiously hammer button = irritating)

3. Mockingbird

Mockingbird New Member

"Un-interactive cut scenes are dull"
    turns into
    "The interaction you added requires too much effort / takes away from the cut scene"

I'm not accusing you of holding both these positions, just that a portion of the player base seems to think A, and a different portion seems to think B, so the devs/designers are between a rock and a hard place.

FWIW, I think TWAU uses the quicktime events reasonably well - they are fast enough to be challenging, but missing them is rarely (so far, I'm not all the way through...) a case of 'you missed it you die, reload checkpoint', which are the real scourge in my opinion.

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Generally speaking, I agree with you there...

5. greypilgers

greypilgers New Member

Personally, I found TWAU to be an incredibly engaging and well made 'game', on the iOS. I saw it more as a slightly interactive story, and a very intriguing one at that.

Tags: Add Tags