1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi The World Of Tanks thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by octoberfest, 17 Feb 2010.

1. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I wouldn't buy anything except camouflage net, binoculars, and a toolbox for any tank you won't keep for ever, simply because these are transferrable, the rest are not.

Also, I'd wait for the next sale to buy them unless you're going down the KV to S-51 route, in which case you'll likely have millions of credits in the bank and nowt to do with them (like I have).

2. Cellular Peptide

Cellular Peptide Member

Thank you for the tips, especially Draig's detailed response. I'll let you know what happens.

I have a lot of friends who have just started playing and they all have a lot of questions. Perhaps a two page guide in the next Custom PC mag would help those chaps out?

3. Stewb

Stewb New Member

I have an incredibly annoying problem. I randomly disconnect from the server, but not in a way that the game realises. They lag indicator simply goes red and I can't do anything, ping is still as low as it normally is. Only way to fix this is to exit game a restart and I get dropped back into the battle.

Is there any way to fix this? If not is there a way I can restart an exe (the game) while keeping all its stored memory intact? At the moment it has to reload the level etc. because the RAM is cleared. This would be an acceptable fix as it would take far less time (~30s at the moment to restart).

4. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I've never had problem I'm afraid, usually when I get disconnected, its a network problem, and there's sufficient time for the game to realise I've been disconnected, and let me rejoin the battle.

Whether my tank is alive at that point is another matter ;)

Oh, here's a thought. Why not open task manager and kill the process. That way, the game will still think you're in the game and give you 2 mins to reconnect before self-destructing you.

Then simply reload the game and hey presto... whether your tank is alive at that point is another matter ;)

5. Stewb

Stewb New Member

Oh sorry, clearly I explained badly. I can still get back into the game, the same as you, except its that 30s between it dropping and me getting control back which means I'm generally dead (as you said :p). I'm just wondering if it's possible to save a lot of time by the game not needing to reload the main welcome screen then reload the entire map.

6. DraigUK

DraigUK Member

No it is an investment, and a small one, for a tank that is a "keeper" and will make you a lot more in the long run. Depends how you look on things I suppose.

I have always had premium so it is not a big deal to me to drop 500k on a tank I know I will keep to make me money and have fun. Of course the more you invest in the right equipment the better the tanks gets...which means you succeed more and make more....just think on it because I promise you going higher is not always better.

Since live I have elited the entire russian tree and have made very good progress in German and US trees so I do not say these things lightly, although I appreciate if your playing for free only it will bite a bit to invest in a tank that way.

Be happy to make one if I'm asked.

I have played since beta, have probably over 15k in battles, in a top 10 clan for server, so kinda know what I'm on about.

Or just ask here and when I get a chance I will answer.

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Sep 2011
  7. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Draig what mounting equipment would you recommend for the t-44? I have already got the wet ammo rack.

Also same question but for the KV? My KV is my money maker so I don't mind investing a lot of money into it. I was thinking tank gun rammer and enchanced gun laying drive.

Thanks BM

Last edited: 1 Sep 2011
  8. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

A Spall Liner wouldn't go amiss there BM as the KV is very prone to artillery fire owing to its speed :thumb:

9. Comfyasabadger

Comfyasabadger New Member

What's with the US Tanks and their crappy tracks.

I ran over a hedgehog last night and the damn things came off :wallbash:

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Well-Known Member

Vents for a bit more of everything would be a better idea.

Generally in high tier art shots will penetrate and one shot kill. In low tiers they'll only be doing 50-100 damage.

11. DraigUK

DraigUK Member

My opinion :-
    T-44 = Wet ammo rack, Optics, vents. You should be using the 100m with it so no real need for a rammer.

WAR is absolutley required on T-44, for obvious reasons. Optics let you see further when moving, and in a T-44 you want to be moving a lot. Vents boost all your crew so everything works that much better.

KV = Use the 107mm, Rammer, Binos and Vents. The reasoning behind these choices are because the rammer makes a decent impact on your reload times for the 107 (which is the best gun to use with it). Binos and vents up your view range when stationary. Vents give all around performance gains. When your top dog in this tank, with careful positioning to minimise the chances of a med ripping you up (see previous posts) you can rule the battlefield, either sniping (107 is really accurate with good crew) or simply going in brawling when required.

When thrown into high tier games, you can stay back and snipe, the binos let you see further to enable you to do so with more success. It's a decent general set up for most situations in a KV.

I would not bother with a spall liner due to the fact that your either going to get hit so hard by higher tier arty when your thrown into a higher tier games as it makes not enough difference to worry about.

In lower tier games when your top dog, the arty is weak enough so you can shrug off a couple of hits while getting into cover. In order to take a spall liner you need to drop one of the other choices which I think you will get more benefit from.

They are not that good spall liners, the only tanks I have with one fitted is my Maus and VK4502 as they become more useful at high tier games especially these days with so many arty in those games.

bagman likes this.
  12. Grimloon

Grimloon New Member

I'd definitely try what 23RO suggested from the perspective of an arty player. KVs are generally 2 to 3 shot kills from a Hummel (tier 5) and I certainly haven't got enough penetration to go through the armour bur it is 980 damage per shell. That goes up to 1,200 with the GW Panther but the pen value isn't massively higher.

I'm fairly positive that the vast majority of players aren't using a spall liner as they go down so fast to artillery, particularly when you get two of us allied with the same target priorities. It also might save your arse where splash damage is concerned as my best to date is one shot, three kills - shot the TD and the splash damage took out the medium on one side and the low health KV on t'other. A spall liner on either of the flankers would probably have prevented them from being taken out by the splash while a direct hit would have got either.

EDIT: Did a bit of checking on HE damage - nobody seems to know whether a spall liner reduces 15% of the total damage or of the remaining damage after a non penetrating hit so it's either 65% damage reduction or 57.5%. Either way it's a decent reduction but the cost is a bit steep for a heavy (I didn't realise that they cost 500K!) Add the splash reduction in and you'll only be taking between 10% and 21.25% of the total if you manage to dodge a direct hit. Possibly worth it if you have money to burn or are likely to have the tank for a while.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2011
    bagman likes this.
  13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Gun rammer and laying drive for the derp cannon is a good idea - vents can't hurt either.

I see your point Draig - I assumed that most folks would want to move on past a T-34 to the 85 at least, but if it's a good moneymaker then it can be worth investing a few quid in.

When I invested in a spall liner for my VK45 in beta I can't tell you how much better it was, it was just a giant arty magnet sometimes.

14. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I'd disagree for the T44 - in my experience vents dont really do anything on a 100% crew - A friend and I both had IS-7s in beta, both had 100% crew, both had rammers, he had vents, our ROF was identical - I'd go for the wet ammo rack, vertical stabiliser and gun rammer. The T-44 gets close enough so that it doesnt need optics, its guns arent accurate enough with enough penetration to snipe so circling the target is the best way to get XP.

15. DraigUK

DraigUK Member

The optics are taken because you will need to perform scouting duties fairly often as well as getting in close, and they do make quite a difference while undertaking that role. It often means you get even more xp as you get the targets lit up first, so any arty damage caused to the targets you light up gains you even more xp.

The ROF on the 100mm is already fast enough not to warrant the rammer imo. An alternative (depending on your playstyle and how good a shot you are) would be to take the Vert Stab instead of vents, but I would never dispose of the optics on most of my mediums, they are simply far too useful in spotting enemies while on the move, and will make the difference quite often between you spotting hidden enemies or not.

Vents increase crew efficiency above 100%.

I understand, I have the spall liner on my VK and Maus. They are slow rumbling tanks and need to take HE hits as best as possible, as not only arty but often enemy tanks will be shooting HE at you due to the amount of bounces you can cause from AP shells.

So spending 500k on one at those tiers makes a bit more sense, and when you have multiple arty aiming at you it can keep you alive just about long enough to either get out of trouble or get one more shot off before dying.

At lower tiers such as the KV it just does not function well enough to justify it and other upgrades get you a better return for the slot.

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Sep 2011
  16. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Just a reminder guys - since 0.6.6 you can now transfer 'locked' modules from one tank to another by paying 10 gold in case you don't have a spare half a million credits or don't intend keeping the old tank.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

A nifty feature I'd noticed a while ago and forgotten about.

So what, other than the Premium tanks, are the best tanks to credit grind in? How many credits does a KV net you/battle guys?

18. Grimloon

Grimloon New Member

Fair dos, I still haven't unlocked mine yet (over halfway - I truly hate the T28) but I do find them pretty easy to bag with HE shells, even just from the Hetzer.

Is it the tank itself or the players that make them such easy arty targets though? I see them stood still or driving in a dead straight line with no attempt at taking cover way too often, just begging for me to land a "HEllo!" on them. All they have to do is turn or stop briefly as I'm anticipating where they will be anywhere from 2 to 4 seconds ahead yet they seem to do so very rarely.

Would I be right in thinking that you guys in heavies tend to prioritise SPGs and TDs over other tanks normally though? It's just that I'm seeing people turn their backs to me in heavies at direct fire range relatively frequently and then seeming surprised when they're taken out. It could be that they simply aren't seeing me as I do prioritise camo and cover higher then everything else but when I have to turn the hull to track them it seems a little silly to ignore me. Not that I'm complaining mind you, a kill is a kill after all and stopping a cap is always a bonus, it just strikes me as being a bit daft.:confused:

19. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I think mid tier mediums are the best credit grinders as ammo costs and repair costs are low, but the 88/L56 on the German tanks and 100mm D10 on the USSR tanks do a lot of damage.

Also, giving that grinding implies lots of battles, being mediums, they're also more fun than sitting around waiting for your team to get its act together as an arty or TD.

20. DraigUK

DraigUK Member

It's a bit of both, but mostly players own fault for not taking cover as best as possible, or getting caught in the open and tracked. The KV is VERY slow so that does not help matters. But mostly it is players own foolishness at work. You will see some amazingly silly things done by players.

SPG are priority number #1 to kill in almost all circumstances. The rest it would depend on what type of tank it is, it's position and health, and what type of tank I'm in.

For example in my Maus, arty is first when possible then a T30, then high tier TD such as object 704 etc. Simple reasoning is that these things can hurt me a lot, so they need to die as quickly as possible, but it does depend entirley on the situation at that time.

I might decide to take the hit from a T30 and try and track/kill a T54 instead if he is otherwise going to get past me and head for my own team arty, for example. Most likely I will shoot the T30 and ram the T54, or shoot AND ram the T54 to finish him as quickly as possible in that scenario. I know I can take 2 shots from a T30 usually, and still be alive and in a position to take him on, so if that is what I need to do that is what will happen.

Generally other heavies are last on my list to target and kill as other targets will either do more damage to me, are quicker to kill or a bit of both. Not always the case but a general rule for me is to kill Arty->TD>meds/scouts->heavies.

If you think about it is makes perfect sense. The more enemy guns you can kill as quickly as possible the more chance your team has of winning and you of living.

e.g. In a scenario where I'm facing the following on my own....

...a T30, a T-54 and an IS7. I'm in my Maus. We are all full health.

The T30 dies first, as he is most likely to be able to kill me. He is also arguably easiest to kill. Once he has gone, the T-54 is next, because he is a relativley quick kill, his gun is annoying but can still put the hurt on me, and the last thing I want to do is let him get hugging my side, because when he does that I can't hit him, he is immune to me and can keep blatting away to his hearts content. It is also the quickest way to get 1v1 with the IS7 instead of 2v1 on me. The IS7 dies last in this scenario.

Grimloon likes this.