1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox One The Xbox One Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by samkiller42, 21 May 2013.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't count it out completely at this point, but the buzz is however (according to the almightly CBOAT) that the kinectless box is a no go, at least not any time soon.

Powerwise, the One is significantly behind the PS4. I believe the One is packing 33% less SPUs, runs at a lower clock, doesn't support AMDs HUMA memory technology (all memory on the PS4 is a shared pool accessible by the CPU and GPU as needed), and it's DDR3 vs PS4s GDDR5. I also believe the PS4 has more RAM to spare than the One, under certain conditions. The One's ESRAM makes up for some of the performance gap, but not all of it.

Also, don't buy into their power of the cloud BS. There's only so much you can do with it. That's definitely a wait and see feature for me. If they do actually pull off something amazing with it, then fine, but it's not going to magically make the One more powerful than a PC for all-around processing power. Even if you're on a good internet connection the latency between processing in the cloud and sending that data to your TV screen is going to be like 500x more than the latency of data moving through the console's chipset.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Cloud processing sounds like it will be used for none essential requirements.

In need for speed maybe it could be used for lap records updated on the fly removing the odd CPU load. Maybe some background trees in the next halo. Things that the user would not miss.

Personally think it will be used as a anti piracy checker where game publishers will lock games down that are not found to be genuine. They may even stick in a 5kb download that is only avail on there server as a check no file game refuses to run as its missing a critical file.

Be intresting to see how many game boxes carry the. ( this product requires online authentication to use)

Dou't there will be any difference between ports that are on both ps4 and Xbox one. Where there will be a difference is 1st party titles and exclusives. I'd expect most ps4 exclusives to look better once the consoles are developed for correctly.

Even to this day stuff like uncharted 2 or 3 blows away the Xbox games graphics wise.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Frankly I'm struggling to imagine real changes or benefits that cloud processing could bring to the table. There's nothing missing from the existing equation as far as processing power goes; the way processors and chips have advanced in recent years, it's the one thing on the console that's virtually guaranteed not to be a bottleneck, the one thing that won't need supplementing in any way.

Similarly, while speculation about the GPU specs, GPU overclocking and the like are exciting from a geek point of view, they aren't really vital to the success or appeal of the console any more. Anything made with current-gen hardware is just going to spew out delicious graphics, regardless of the particular die shrink or clock speed - graphics have plateaued. We don't need to worry about it the way we did with the 360 and PS3.

The things we should really care about are the things which they don't seem to want to talk about with any precision: online functionality, connection speed requirements, data usage, game pricing, game reselling, DRM, developer contracts, exclusivity deals, indie developer viability, peripheral manufacture liberties. These are the things that will (or won't) set apart the PS4, XBO and PC platforms. And they won't say a thing, because they still don't have a game plan; they bluffed, the games media called it, and now they're all just coughing and waiting for someone to put down their cards first.

I guess the TL;DR is - let's not allow them to distract us with features that won't impact on the real viability or longterm enjoyability of the platforms. Let's keep our eyes on the prize, the features that really matter, the ones they're trying to sweep under the carpet.

/soapbox

Last edited: 16 Nov 2013
  4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

The only thing I've really seen that's different with the Cloud processing (which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing yet) is using other drivers ghost data to power the AI of the single player cars in Forza.

However, I think data usage could be the biggest issue (for those not on an unlimited internet package) they really need to clarify exactly how much bandwith a game might take.

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Xbox One launch could be as early as November 8th (US Markets) according to sources, But it's not confirmed yet, so MS still need to confirm it's release.

Read More: here

Sam

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I can forsee that being accurate for the US, but I bet the EU will be at least two weeks afterwards, if not more.

7. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

They reckon there is no yield issues and that the reason for delaying certain countries is 'localization'...I presume that will be down to the Kinect/voice control.

*In other news Sony fanboys continue to ruin threads and discussions every where, even going as far as to convince us that their PS4 will actually 'drive them to work and cook dinner' its so powerful......

**Xbox One cpu has received a 150MHZ jump.

*certain parts of this post may contain sarcasm brought about by the annoying and somewhat boring nature of a bunch of clueless 10-15 year ***wits (not Bit-Techers) claiming to know everything and generally making console gamers look like retards :rolleyes:

**This part is true

8. samkiller42

Xbox One will be able to support upto 8 controllers at the same time, Compare this with the PS3's 7, and PS4's 4 supported controllers. Not sure how tiny a screen i play with when there's 8 in the room. It was bad enough when 4 players where used on the N64 playing Goldeneye :thumb:

Sam

9. samkiller42

Xbox One now Confirmed for November 22nd!!

Bit of a pain for me, as i get paid on the 25th...

Sam

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Weirdest timing - exactly in the middle of the PS4 launch. I was expecting early November to be honest.

11. chrismarkham1982

Early Nov would've been better just so I don't have to wait so bloody long :lol:

Im imagining 8 player Fifa :D

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Not to be a spoil sport but the support for seven controllers was a fairly pointless feature of the PS3. I couldn't name a game that supported more than four players locally, or was actually commonly played this way. The One could be different, support for eight is at least an even number, but the games have to be made to make use of it.

Kind of nifty if you have more than four controllers and want to swap between them as batteries die and charge, though.

13. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

480*270 (assuming proper 1080p) is still far more than the 4 player split screen you played on that old 26" CRT and on a 50" TV each box would be about 12". It sounds like great fun for FIFA or COD.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2013
  14. chrismarkham1982

8 player Fifa Cheesecake!!!
    Not that I have 8 friends that will play fifa :wallbash:.................or 8 friends come to think of it :sigh:

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Release date is wierd early November and they have a chance to get more into distribution for Christmas. Late November and what's avail at launch is all you will likely get. The orginal was 4-5 week lead time after initial launch in uk at least, ps3 had similar problems.

Demand is likely to far outstrip supplies with rumours that both Sony and ms are struggling to even meet pre order numbers.

Spoke to a friend who works in game up in Newcastle major branch they are expecting 30-50 units but as he said they have more on pre order than that.

Guess this will burst a few dreams kids have of getting one.

16. chrismarkham1982

This is why I pre-ordered mine with game within minutes of them making it available for pre-order.

17. samkiller42

So last weekend i got a chance to play on the Xbox One, Only 2 titles interested me of the few available to play, Forza 5 and BF4, Getting both, as simple as that really.

Some photo's from the event:
    [​IMG]
    IMG_5257 by samkiller42, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5252 by samkiller42, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5251 by samkiller42, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5250 by samkiller42, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5247 by samkiller42, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5228 by samkiller42, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5227 by samkiller42, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5222 by samkiller42, on Flickr

My overall impressions are very good, Forza looks stunning, It was clearly only a Demo thanks to only a choice of 5 cars and Laguna Secca to blast around in a single lap race.

BF4 was also looking good, but not as good as i would have expected/hoped for, It was plainly clear it was 720p and not 1080p which really let it down, Gameplay was very smooth though, so no arguments from me.

Kinect really did impress me, there was a technical demo of how Kinect works, I.E, ability to read your heartbeat, tell your mood, if your engaged with it or not, If your hand is open/closed, How much force is being used and where etc, For example, lifting your left foot, Kinect can detect your body weight, all shifting into your right foot. It's also capable of detecting which way your hand is facing etc, Clever stuff.

The Controller, very comfortable, light, easy to hold and press all buttons, It's slightly smaller than the controller of the 360's but not so much that it puts you off. Triggers where nice and responsive while playing Forza too.

Xbox One, not as large as i thought really, Nice looking bit of kit though, even behind the perspex, nice and quiet too, even with the noise there was no major noise coming from the machines that i sat next too.

All in all, A very nice bit of kit, and i'm very much looking forward to receiving my unit on 22nd Nov.

Sam

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Was there any evidence of any peripherals? Specifically I was wondering if they would be producing a proper steering wheel. I love Forza but would not contemplate using it without a wheel and the old MS Wheel was pretty good.

Anyway, no wheel = no Forza = no Xbox One for me. I would probably look at the 'other' offering instead.

19. samkiller42

No, There wasn't anything other than the Consoles, Kinect and the Controllers, However, after a quick search:

Sam

20. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

I like how it will automatically pause the game if you want to answer skype, or watch TV or something. It also looks nice to use. But how much of this stuff will cross the pond? Is there anywhere that tells us what is available in each country?