1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thermal Pads For Memory Chips?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrWizard, 15 Jul 2008.

1. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Hey guys and gals, I'm about to get my new 8800GT in the mail here pretty soon and I plan on re-pasting it with some new TIM because, quite honestly the factory work can never be trusted. I'll be using Tuniq TX-2 for the chip itself, but my question is this:

I really don't want to re-use the factory memory pads because they're all crushed and deformed after you pull the heatsink off. I'm curious if anyone knows the best e-tailer that sells thermal pads thick enough to ensure contact with the chips. I know there's quite a few vendors that sell thermal pads, but the majority I find are only .30mm - .35mm thick. That doesn't sound thick enough to me. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Artic silver adhesive.

Just be carefull, as it's conductive, and if you spill some onto the pins or pcb you'll be shorting stuff out.

3. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Does your GT have a stock cooler on it? Or is it a modified one? As if its the stock one you can't use adhesive really, as you'd end up smearing some around the chips when you stuck the HSF back on...

I took the HSF off my 8800GT the other day to replace the paste with TX-2 also... the stuff they had on it was everywhere! The pads on the heatsink I thought looked like they were about half a mm in thickness... So you might be alright... you shoudl be able to the see the chips from underneath the HSF even onces you put it on so you could give the .35mm ones a try and see... I've never really seen anything thicker in the shops here in the UK...

4. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

Yeah, mine is just the stock single-slot eVGA cooler. I suppose I could always stack the pads if need be to get the proper thickness as well. FrozenCPU.com has the material in stock and I'll probably throw some on my next order. What were your before and after temps with the TX-2? Thanks for the input!

5. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

I did it because i was having some problems with the heat, or so I thought.

The temps are exactly the same tbh. But I did use the oppotunity to clean the dust that had gotten collected around the VRMS. So i haven't crash in Mass Effec since...

So it might just be a pointless exercise while the card is pretty new... I'm thinking of geting a new cooler for the card as the sound when the fan spins up is horrible, or i might just sell it and get a 4870...