1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU ThermalTake 750W EVO BLUE Modular, worth getting?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ravenheart, 14 Oct 2009.

1. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

I was almost sold by this psu 650w-Silverpower-(Seasonic)-SP-SS650HT-Green-Power-80-Plus-CertifiedIntel-ATX-12V-6Serial-ATA

But I then found this one THERMALTAKE " 750W ", EVO BLUE " MODULAR ", 14CM FAN, W0308, RETAIL BOXED which is £21 more expensive, now I can't find any reviews on it online but I'd assume it would be a worthwhile purchase wouldn't it? And better than the Silverpower one? Advice please as I'm thinking of ordering the Evo Blue one today.

Also is it too good a price at £85 Inc VAT considering it's modular as well.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It's thermaltake. I'd rather not trust it.

Go with the TX-750 if you want modular.

3. Ravenheart

Thanks for the reply but in the recommended psu list on here it actually lists ThermalTake psu's right from 500 watts upto 1000 watt psu's so I figured this might actually be decent.

Why would you not trust it by the way?

Also I read a review on the TX 750 and apparently someone who'd used one for 7 months had to get it replaced under warranty because it just suddenly died on them after 7 months with no apparent reason, so I'm going to avoid that one based on what I read.

And I'm not particularly bothered if I get modular or non modular, modular is just a bonus if I can get one at the right price lol

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Based on that - good luck finding a single PSU.
    Warranty saved the day there, its not like the user lost out cos the power supply exploded.

5. Ravenheart

Well let's face facts here, no one wants to buy a psu that's going to die after only 7 months, so if I or anyone reads a review that says said psu died after only 7 months then obviously they're going to look for another psu that gets a better review preferably not mentioning the words "Died after only 7 months usage" I'm just wanting users with experience of ThermalTake psu's to comment and let me know they're thoughts and if they've even got one of the psu's I mentioned and if it is a good one.

I mean if ThermalTake psu's are listed in the recommended psu list on here ranging all the way from 500 watts to 1000 watt psu's then they can't be that bad, but obviously before I make the purchase I'd like to know it'd be worth while and that I wasn't throwing my money away for something not worth it.

6. Elton

Every unit in electronics has a chance of failure, but you shouldn't base it off 1 review, look for a general consensus.

Plus the TX-750 is of Seasonic quality.

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Its all relative really, how many TX750s HAVENT died within 7 months? 1 review means nothing to me, if when im looking for something i find loads of people that have had problems then ill steer clear.

Based on this (and the fact ive got a 520w corsair PSU) id rather go with the TX 750 over anything from thermaltake, mainly due to the majority of what ive read/heard about corsair has been excellent. The same cant be said for thermaltake.

there will always be faulty hardware, some people have good experiences some can have nightmares with the same product.

8. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

ive used quite a few of the Corsair 650W TX's and everyone is still wokring no problems at all and many are over 1 year old now.

1 review saying it died doesnt mean it has a high chance of blowing. ALL equipment from any manufacturer can break and it was just unlucky that this guys did.

as for the thermatake not used them myself. dont know anyone who has that PSU either or heard anyone recommend them.

also what u need 750W for if you were considering 650W (even though was crappy PSU) ?

9. Ravenheart

Thanks for all the replies but am I missing something here? Thermaltake psu's are listed in the RECOMMENDED psu list on here right? In fact all the below (which I'll list shortly) are listed in the Recommended list, so what's with all the negative Thermaltake comments, is there something I should know? Everyone seems to have a problem with them but if they were that bad how did all the below actually get into that list?

500W - Thermaltake Toughpower 500W **
    550W - Thermaltake Toughpower 550W **
    600W - Thermaltake Toughpower 600W **
    650W - Thermaltake Toughpower 650W **
    700W - Thermaltake Toughpower 700W **
    750W - Thermaltake Toughpower 750W **
    850W Modular - Thermaltake Toughpower 850W **
    1000W Modular - Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W **

10. Ravenheart

In case I upgrade in the future and need that extra bit of power, and I didn't choose a crappy psu, did you not read the description? It said Silverpower 650 watt (Seasonic) so that one is essentially a Seasonic psu, not crap by any means, in fact that one is in the Recommended list as well 650W - Silverpower (Seasonic) GreenPower 650W *** <--- and that got 3 stars.

11. adam_bagpuss

well for a start not all PSU are the same even from the same manufacturer the one your looking at isnt a toughpower one its an evo modular series.

this is not on the recommened PSU list at all.

12. adam_bagpuss

your confusing yourself Seasonic do make some PSUs for silvepower but they are NOT the same quality depending on which model you look at.

a 650W silverpower was reviewed on here and it failed on providng stables voltages therefore its a crappy PSU. but i misread the greenpower bit which is a good PSU which is unusal for silverpower

as for upgraing in the future grpahics cards are becoming less powerhungry not more. 650W is more than enough for any single card machine unless you maybe max the HDDs its capable of and overclock the CPU and graphics card.

the 5870 will run on 650W with no problems at all. i guess if your wanting a dual chip card like 5870X2 or GTX295 750W would be justified.

13. Ravenheart

Thanks for replying, but I'm not confusing myself at all, how could I have been? I knew it said Silverpower but it also said (Seasonic) in brackets which I made very clear, and the Silverpower one I linked to the greenpower one is made by Seasonic for Silverpower isn't it otherwise it wouldn't have Seasonics name in brackets would it?

I just want to make sure the money I spend on a psu isn't money thrown down the toilet lol, I want to make sure I get a decent one.

14. adam_bagpuss

sorry i didnt mean with the silverpower one i meant Thermtake EVO one.

The thermaltake toughpowers are recommended but the evo ones are not. its a different range and therefore you cant compare it and assume that its a good PSU because other models are.

silverpower for example make that good PSU you mentioned but they also make horrible ones too like this one: SilverPower SP-SS500

15. Ravenheart

So your confusing yourself then :D, maybe I'll skip the evo one then, not sure yet, I'm in 2 minds, I really don't think it will be as bad as everyone makes out though, I mean I've never tried it but I'd never tried mars bars before I had one and now I love them lol :thumb:

16. adam_bagpuss

true you would be testing it yourself so its a risk i guess.

if you want something you know is gunna be 100% stable before you buy it just browse a few reivews on here or pick one of the recommened ones.

17. Elton

May I remind you that a PSU of seasonic design doesn't guarantee awesomeness? It could be the low end of the stick from the company.

18. Ravenheart

You may remind me whatever you wish Eton, but the Silverpower/Seasonic one I linked to is in the recommended psu list on this very forum AND it's been rated as 3 stars compared to only 2 stars for the BeQuiet Straight Power 600W, and if it was the low end of the company (I doubt Seasonic even have a low end by the way) it can't be rubbish can it if it was given a 3 star rating?

I guess it's basically all down to personal choice at the end of the day because it seems to me it doesn't matter if a psu is in the top list of psu's everywhere, people make their own minds up and ones that are clearly rated highly still get put down as being crap by other people.

Oh well I'll just go with whatever I choose and I'm sure the amount I'll be spending on a psu it will be a good one, because as alway's I will go with one with good reviews and one that I believe to be good for what I will be using it for.

Thanks for all the responses.

19. Elton

Of course, it is up to you, I'm just merely playing messenger and suggesting a Corsair because of their good service and their good reputation. And as for Seasonic having a low-end, of course they do, they'd go broke if they didn't, where else would they put the semi-good PSUs?