1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Thermaltake water tank... any good

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kensei, 27 Jan 2005.

1. Kensei

Kensei What's a Dremel?

Linky to picture of Said Tank

Just came accross this on a German website, I dont understand the review, but has anyone encountered this Res before?

Is it any good?
    [edit] fixed pic link

Last edited: 27 Jan 2005
  2. Risky

Risky Modder

Product Page: http://www.thermaltake.com/watercooling/cl-w0009waterLabelIndicator/cl-w0009.htm
    I spotted that one too. Its not too bad, fits in an 80mm fan mount I guess. Cheaper than some resevoirs and lets face it the res is not really a performance part unless you're doing something complicated. If it fits your plans, buy one and give us a mini review :D

Might be a handy part for smaller cases.

3. M_D_K

M_D_K Minimodder

Looks good doubt the fins do jack all but looks spanky might have too get me one of them :)

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

deffo morgan, looks a real sweet res. mod it with 1/2 :p

- S

5. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

So is it just a res? or a Rad as well? The TT website doesn't really give a lot of good info.

6. OneMadPoptart

OneMadPoptart What's a Dremel?

It's just a shiny reservoir. With Fins.

Fins = Useless on a reservoir like that.

Thermaltake is trying to cash in on the lesser educated watercoolers among us by putting fins and claiming it dissapates heat. *sigh*

Under no circumstances should you use that as a radiator.

-OMP

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Honestly I don't think anyone would think you could use that to help heat dissipation in any way. Well anyone who has a vague idea of heat transfer. Just because water has a much higher heat capacity than air doesn't mean it can passively disperse the same amount of heat an air cooler could with a hundredth of the surface area.

If you like the looks go for it... it looks like it would be annoying to fill but I'll assume it's meant to go with Bigwater for the most part which has it's own seperate fill point.

And Sc0rian it apparently comes with 1/2" fittings, as well as 3/8" and 1/4". Covers all of the american stuff and a lot of European.

8. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

The distinct lack of a seperate fill point makes it somewhat pointless in my eyes.

9. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

Lmao, so obvious no-body noticed it.. myself included.. wtf is the point in it if you can't fill n bleed?

10. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Good point etacovda. I guess people are used to the 'tube and just thought about removing one side though to be honest, but with its design i guess that could get a little messy if your not careful. It wouldnt be to ohard to add another connection to it for a fill port though.

I cant believe no one else thinks its just fugly!

11. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

I ordered one of these, along with the thermaltake water block for my mini A64 system (mod in project log under X86 soon :)

Newegg should have it here to me by 2/2/05.

I too thought about the fill bleed process. what ill do is just hold the res horizontal, fill, hold plexi top on by hand, turn on, repeat untill full.

Ill post a mini review on it when I recieve.

12. Firehed

That's what I do with my aquatube. It probably wouldn't matter if I didn't get one of the aquajets but it geysers everywhere if you don't at least hold the top down with your fingers (screws are excessive for filling since you'd spend more time retightening them than filling). Point being it should work fine :)

13. Armand-[79th]

Armand-[79th] Vintage modder

I have to say.. I think it looks nice.
    I would love to have 2 stuck on the rear fan vents on my sys.

Question.. would it make any difference if the inside of the ali was sanding to give it a rough surface?

Oh.. it's got 3 different connectors.. how cool?? :)

14. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

It would only make a difference to the speed at which the aluminium corrodes.

15. Armand-[79th]

Armand-[79th] Vintage modder

:duh:

Fair enough.
    Thanks for saving me from ruining some nice ali. :thumb:

16. Firehed

Yeah, the anodized layer helps prevent it corroding. Although if you have a bigwater kit I think the fluid they provide has some sort of addin for the same reason.

17. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

Although I'm not a fan of Thermaltake, their flowmeter isn't bad looking at all. It's the same style as the res in this thread, and I'm actually considering putting it into my loop. Pretty wierd eh? I never thought I'd see the day that TT and others make stuff that looks spiffy too :eyebrow:

I have a bunch of anodised aluminium in my loop, I also use Aqua Computer's AC fluid to help prevent against corrosion, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with adding that part, at least I hope not...

Pug, of WizD reccomended that I put a small container over my Aquajet so kill the geyser effect when filling. Another person reccomended that I do it with the comp off, then use a fill tank attached to the pump to bleed and finish filling.

18. Derelict

Derelict What's a Dremel?

I think that Thermaltake Tank looks money...almost beats out the INNOVATEK Tank-O-Matic ;)

19. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

Ok, here is my mini review of the thermaltake reservoir.

The reservoir is a good start by thermaltake at entering the market but suffers some major flaws. The 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 lines are a nice touch... however the inlet outlet size is only 1/4 inch in size. so those using 3/8 and 1/2 inch, especially 1/2 will be greatly disappointed because of the great restriction on the system. The cause is due to thermaltakes small threaded holes in the plexi. Had they used 1/4npt or similar this would be a great reservoir.
    sorry for poor quality, its my cell phones camera. image shows res with 1/4" and 1/2" fittings.
    [​IMG]

The filling of the res is not that hard, take out the 6 bolts holding the top on, fill, hold the top on, refill. Because my pumps is fairly powerful and I was using only distilled water the air bubbles came out fairly quickly, i actually made my pump pull some air to see how fast the water was moving through my 3/8" lines.

pros:
    -Good looks
    -easy install in 80mm fan mount
    -comes with multiple fittings*
    -LED mounting hole
    -compression fittings

Cons:
    -fitting ID is only 1/4"*
    -semi difficult filling procedure

I will give it two smiles
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I would only recommend this reservoir to some who is going to use it in a ¼ cooling system or willing to mod to use better fittings.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2005
  20. Risky

Risky Modder

What's the thread size on the fittings. If its 1/4 BSPP then you can just buy a pair of barbs and you're pretty much the same as and other res.

Tags: