1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Things that you once thought were luxuries but you now couldn't do without

Discussion in 'General' started by deaglecat, 21 May 2010.

1. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Smartphone; more specifically my Nokia 5800. It's my mp3 player, phone and general out and about gadget. :)
    Decent mouse...I HATE using cruddy mice now, they just drag across the desk, the cursor jumps about, the mouse speed needs accelerating...BLAH.
    LCD monitors/TVs; I forgot how damn big and heavy CRTs really are, getting a 28" CRT out of a house, that was damned hard.
    In ear headphones.
    A subwoofer.
    More appropriate for the weather now here in the UK; prescription sunglasses!

2. Leman

Leman What's a Dremel?

Fresh coffe, might not actually sound like much but I really can't function in the morning without a freshly plunged cuppa.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Tough call. I probably have to give my vote to an internet connection. Even if it's just a mobile broadband connection and not fixed line, I would not like to be without one.

4. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

For me it's definitely Sky+. What a brilliant invention!

I could live without my mobile to be honest. Fast internet is pretty essential these days though.

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Speedy DSL, cellphone (also phone camera, 3,5G, etc), dSLR camera. Not too many years ago couldn't imagine having any.

6. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

My car, internet connection and my iphone!

7. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I found going from multiple monitors to only one wasn't so painful for me. I had an old machine running XP with: 17" @ 1360x1024, 19" @ 1600x1200, 20" @ 1600x1200 and a 22" @ 1680x1050

switched to a new Win7 system with only the 20" (massive hardware upgrade compared to the last, but damn my gtx260 for having a dedicated HDMI port and 1 DVI, instead of 2 DVI). Waiting on a 23" 1080P monitor to arrive so I can finally get back to multi-monitor wonderland.

high speed broadband is a hell of a luxury I wouldnt want to live without (if only I didnt get throttled so much). I've gone from a dialup system in 2007 to 256k broadband, switched to 'full speed' (4Mbps/128k) a month later and never looked back. my speed now tops out at 16Mbps down/0.8 up and it irritates me when downloads go less than 1Mbps.

A decent stereo rigged up to my PC is a permanent addition to my life, along with a decent library of metal (most variations of the genre) and some DnB.

Decent music is something I couldn't live without either. It's rare that I'm ever not listening to something (my last.fm page has over 160,000 tracks scrobbled over the past 2 & a bit years)

An Mp3 player with a half decent amount of space on it (8GB is enough for me). I remember having a portable cassette player when I was a kid, along with shoddy dubbed 80's/90's metal.

Cheap games that you don't have to pirate or borrow from friends. Damn I love steam.

Also having a deskfan/pedistall fan or box fan in summer. I can stand 30 celsius easily in a stuffy room with my box fan.

8. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

Fast Internet - gona loose my 100Mbit internet next year... dropping down to a 20Mbit connection shared between 6 heavy users :(

Fast Computer with lots of storage (although in a few years i'll be wondering how i ever thought an i5 was fast, and 2Tb enough storage)

Decent HiFi - i can't enjoy music through anything else

Subwoofer - my speakers need a bit of help with the low end... and a vibrating floor always feels good.

9. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

The internet. I remember we got a Compuserve diskette (yes a floppy!) with a magazine in 1995, my dad went out and bought a 28k (I think) serial modem and life's never been the same since!

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Multiple monitors, good internet, good speakers.

11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Widescreen monitors.
    My MacBook pro
    Cell phones
    Always-on flatrate internet
    CODA
    Photoshop
    Email

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Relax.....just a joke I'm sure....why are you always so serious?!

...here, have some crack, that'll calm you down. :naughty:

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Cell Phones and the internet.
    couldn't imagine both as a kid, and couldn't live the way I do without.

14. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

My W124 Mercedes. This thing is soo smooth in driving I actually have trouble keeping awake. Could do with a smaller car but meh. I love the seats. That I pay through the nose in taxes because it's a diesel. Don't care..
    And the stereo I have in it. Well worth the 3 weeks of build time.

15. matt...

matt... Slacker

single malt whisky...

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

That reminds me. Mount Gay Extra Old.

[​IMG]

This stuff is just incredible.

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Have to get hold of some and try it. It's in a very pretty bottle :)

18. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

A secondary computer.

It's really nice to not have to share a computer with anyone.

Also, Hotkeys.
    They're so useful.

Edit:
    Decent Headphones/ speakers and the internet.

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Second monitor. Used to think it'd be pointless but now I have a pair at home and only one at work... I keep on looking to the right and seeing nothing .__.

Or, clean* tap water.

*Not flooded with additives as you'll find in larger population centers. The taste is much better and I honestly feel healthier having it in my drinks and cooking.