1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Think ive killed my 9800 pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anator, 22 Mar 2006.

1. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Well, in order to fit a new cooler onto my 9800 pro i needed to do some soldering on to the fan power connector. Cooler is now fitted and powers up ok, but no life on the screen. Looks like I have caused some collateral damage :worried:

What I want to know is - 'Is my card dead?' Is there any diagnostics i can run on it with a PCI card in or anyway to save it at all? :sigh:

Last edited: 22 Mar 2006
  2. Vonpo

Vonpo What's a Dremel?

please do say which cooler you tried to install since that may help. But if its a home made cooler well :D naa just kidding. But why would you need to sloder on the card ?

3. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

It was an artic ;) Its a long story but basically I ended up having to solder the wires onto the fan connector directly.

4. Vonpo

Vonpo What's a Dremel?

hell I had an Artic on my 9800 Pro and I didnt need to sloder on the card :/ excuse my french but wtf ? Could you possibly get a pic on the card?

5. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

If you must know, i bought an artic for a 9800xt by mistake, and only realised after i pulled the fan connector off and had soldered the wires on, lol.

Anyway do you know of any way i can run a diagnostic on the card to determine what is wrong? I dont think its a power problem as the cooler itself powers up ok.

6. Vonpo

Vonpo What's a Dremel?

I highly doubt there are any diagnostic instruments for graphic cards on the retail market. Hmm this is not an easy case at all :duh:

7. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

i know pc check disk runs dionostics on graphics cards. aswell as just about everything in your system.

edit: but if its not displaying any picture at all then it would be no use :duh:

8. Vonpo

Vonpo What's a Dremel?

Thats what I meant there are no instruments for the retail market to check cards. Yea the dianostic programs wont do any good :sigh:
    I think Anator must have hit a circit while slodering (dont know how to spell that :D )

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It seems a fair amount of 9800Pro cards became casualties in the upgrade to Artic Silencer coolers. Mine did exactly the same as yours, apart from I didn't solder and it worked for a while then suddenly packed in one day. No amount of reseating got it to work. It would bring the monitor out of standby, but just 'display' a perfectly black screen. You might like to try a blind gfx card rom flash to see if it's the rom on the gfx card that fubared along the way, I must admit, it's one thing I didn't try and I wish I had before selling the card for a huge loss as a known dud.

10. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Seems like its worth a shot - will i be able to do it while running a pci card so i dont have to do it blind?

11. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

Yup you can do that. This might be woth a read (the 9800pro bit)

12. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Well im currently on the machine and the radeon is still detected in windows, but doesn't give an output. Going to attempt to re-flash the bios out of the off chance it will work.

13. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Flashed it to an xt and it worked then back to a 9800pro which also worked, but its still giving no output. Anyone know which component on the card is responsible for the actual output?

14. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

Contacted ati and asked them if they could tell me which component it is. Not especially optimistic though.

15. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

After a week of emails they told me to contact sapphire! Really helpful that was.

16. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Ever heard of editing posts?

Firstly, NEVER EVER SOLDER DIRECTLY ONTO A PCB UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

For soldering boards, you need to make sure you're not using a soldering iron which grounds, ie the metal tip must not be connected to anything at all, and must be completely separate from the heating element.

If you only soldered the wires on, then that may be what happened, but either way, the thing is dead.

Perhaps you crushed the core while screwing the cooler on?

Another idea I just had, is maybe some solder found its way onto the board somewhere and is shorting something out. Check it.

Tags: