1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a comeback...

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Unicorn, 9 Nov 2015.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It just so happens that the opportunity has arisen for me to move one of my once beastly folding rigs to a site where I have free electricity, a free broadband connection and a small dark corner in the bottom of a floor cabinet to run it in for a year or so!

I have been out of the folding scene for a considerable amount of time. I did attempt to get back into it once or twice in the past year but I didn't have the same desire to squeeze every point out of every client I could run like I once did. With this opportunity though I'm keen to get a couple of GPUs and one SMP client running stably and efficiently enough to leave alone for weeks at a time and earn me a few hundred thousand PPD. This machine is running an i7 980X @ 4.0 GHz with HT enabled, so it's running 12 threads in Windows 7, and has two GTX 970 GPUs. I've had it running since early this morning and the second or third unit that the SMP client found itself seems to be a real monster;

[​IMG]

Should this be running so slowly for so little credit or is there something wrong with the setup on the SMP client? It was producing an estimated 22000 PPD on the other WUs earlier this morning but as you can see it's completely tanked on that one. I'm wondering if this unit is one that's meant for current generation CPUs with an even higher number of threads than my 980X.

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Unicorn - great machine for Folding, but leave two of the CPU cores free to feed the GPU's and that should help sort you out.

3. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Can't help you with the technical stuff, but welcome back to the team anyway. Cheers.

4. Unicorn

Thanks Doc. It seems to have resolved itself now and is folding well on 10 threads with the other two dedicated to the GPUs.

Thanks! :thumb:

For old times sake (and probably to kill the last remaining 295 from my old v6 farm!) I threw a GTX 295 into another old spare machine to run a few units and generate some excess heat, but I'm not getting a WS Assignment. It reads "ready" in FAHControl but has the following error in the logs;

Code:
    11:37:18:WU00:FS01:Connecting to 171.67.108.204:80
    11:37:19:WARNING:WU00:FS01:Failed to get assignment from '171.67.108.204:80': Empty work server assignment
    11:37:19:ERROR:WU00:FS01:Exception: Could not get an assignment
    It's been returning that error for the past 24 hours. From my searches on the folding forum, I know that you've come across this problem before Doc, but none of the solutions which have been suggested in existing threads have worked for me.

I'm folding on a 4GHz i7 920 in this second machine, but I would like the 295 running too. As inefficient and noisy as it is, I've got 8U of space along with as much power and data as I want to work with and I may as well use it! I may buy another pair of 970s for the second machine next year, but no promises. Until then though, lets kill another GT200! :D

5. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

This is due to no work units available on the server:

Code:
    54	171.67.108.204	vsp10v-vz04	-	classic	accept	Accepting	0.05	0	0		0	0	0	0						0	0	0		0	1	
    4th 0 is number of work units available. :eyebrow:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/pybeta/serverstat.html

6. Unicorn

Yeah I was able to find that out from existing info on the folding forum but the only solution was to wait until there were work units available. I suppose I need to report the problem on the folding forum to find out why there are no WUs available on the server that my clients have been assigned to.

7. Unicorn

Well, I didn't post a new topic on the Folding Forum, but I didn't have to in the end because I found my answer in an existing thread:

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=26948

It seems to the old GTX 295s are no longer supported as there is no work left for the core they run. So, I've pulled the 2.5 295's (one with only one functional GPU!) for now and am running this second machine with an SMP client only. I'll get one or two current generation, compatible GPUs in it as early as possible next year.