1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a dog...

Discussion in 'General' started by vetlel, 17 Feb 2005.

1. vetlel

vetlel What's a Dremel?

Not to hi jack the other pet-thread:

I am thinking it's about time for another family member, this time a dog.

A long time ago I had a friend who owned a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I fell in love with the dog then, just the nice mix of unbeatable laziness and, in times, a burst of energy.

Now, before taking the big plunge; does anyone here have any experience with this "make" of dogs? Any info is welcome.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

"Breed" of dogs ;)

Last time i checked, dogs arent made on a factory line :p unless you count puppy farms..

3. vetlel

vetlel What's a Dremel?

???Next thing you're going to tell me children don't grow in gabbages, are you???

you really have me confused here...

4. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

i think he thinks you're not a native-english-speaker and having trouble with the language.
    but what's a gabbage?

anyway...
    not had exp with that breed, but would recommend you consider many types. you can narrow it down easily but having a size range you'd consider.

5. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

If you want a lazy dog with an occasional burst of energy try a Greyhound. They are reknowned for being of the the most lazy dogs in the world!

6. vetlel

vetlel What's a Dremel?

Ok, gathered some info on the dog:

-The glamour shot:

[​IMG]

- Some basic information:

Description
    The Rhodesian Ridgeback is a large, handsome, muscular hound. Its name describes its most unique characteristic, a clearly defined symmetrical ridge running the length of its back, formed by hair that grows in the opposite direction from the rest of its coat. The short, sleek coat comes in light to dark wheaten, sometimes with small white markings on the chest and feet. The head is long, the skull is flat and broad with extremely powerful muzzle and jaw. Ridgebacks have well developed teeth, and a marked stop. The bright, sparkling eyes are round with an intelligent expression. The nose color should be either black or brown, depending on the color of the coat. The front legs should be very straight and strong, with heavy bone. The strong tapered tail is fairly long and curves slightly upward.

Temperament
    A fine hunter, the Rhodesian Ridgeback is ferocious in the hunt, but in the home it is a calm, gentle, obedient, good dog. Good-natured, but some do not do well with children because they do not want to be pestered or played with roughly. They are intelligent, cunning but straight-forward dogs that are loyal to the family, have something of a mind of their own, are brave, vigilant, reserved toward strangers, and possess considerable stamina. This breed needs thorough obedience training, socialization with people and other dogs, and firm owner leadership to become the excellent companion he can be. Ridgebacks react best to an extremely consistent and equable approach to training. They are intelligent and learn quickly, but they are also strong and a bit stubborn. Training should be gentle and start young while the dog is still small enough to manage. They are also very good watch dogs, but not suggested for guard dogs. They are very protective of owners! This has to be addressed during their early training. This breed can be more destructive than a Lab if left unsupervised! Do not overfeed this breed. Males may be combative with other dogs. Provided this dog meets cats and other pets when it is young, any potential problem will be prevented. Ridgebacks make excellent jogging companions.

Height, Weight
    Height: Dogs 25-27 inches (63-69cm) Bitches 24-26 inches (61-66cm)
    Weight: Dogs 80-90 pounds (36-41kg) Bitches 65-75 pounds (29-34kg)

Living Conditions
    The Rhodesian Ridgeback will dog okay in an apartment as long as they get enough exercise. It is relatively inactive indoors and does best with a large yard.

Exercise
    These dogs have great stamina and you will tire long before they do, but they will adapt to your exercise regimen.

Life Expectancy
    About 10-12 years.

Grooming
    The smooth, short-haired coat is easy to groom. Brush with a firm bristle brush and shampoo only when necessary. This breed is an average shedder.

Origin
    The Rhodesian Ridgeback resulted from crosses between ridgebacked dogs originally kept by native tribes in South Africa and other breeds, such as the Hottentot, Mastiff, Deerhound and some breeds that are not known. They were imported by Boer settlers in the 16th and 17th centuries. Its standard, fixed in Rhodesia, dates from 1922. The Rhodesian Ridgeback was used for many purposes. This impressive, protective hound could hunt game, retrieve, take care of children, and guard property. South African hunters discovered that the Ridgeback, used in packs, was very effective against LIONS, hence the breed's other name, the African Lion Hound. The Rhodesian Ridgeback is well adapted to the harsh African environment. He can withstand very high temperatures and the damp cold of night. It is insensitive to insect bites and can go without food and water for over 24 hours. The breed was recognized by the AKC in 1959. Its country of origin is Zimbabwe.

All nice and all but some on-hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

7. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

I have a collie and i have to say that i have never met a nicer dog, its exceptionally friendly and good with children. I think that has to be the most important part of a dog, that it is good with children.

8. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

get a fluffy doggy :D

9. vetlel

vetlel What's a Dremel?

The thing for me with this dog is the fact that is doesn't look like a fluffy dog/ labrador/ golden retriever, but yet it has the character of one. And on top of that, to me, it looks like a dog that hasn't been bred to bits for looks only.

<Ah, bugger!, honest mode here> Look at it! Where do you find a dog that looks that, well, potent, and on top of that has a perfectly docile (sp?) character?

I remember the dog in the initial post: kept nagging people (dog-people know how a dog does that) to light the fireplace, mid summer!!! To fall asleep once it was lit...

Look at it as a cross between a dobermann (for stamina) and a golden retriever (character wise)
    </honest mode>

Quess i was just trying to find people here, that would put me of of this, for i understand to well that it's not for christmas.
    Found a "factory" close by, a very nice woman that comes to your house with one of her dogs. Well, basicly to see if it fits from both sides. She should have the next batch ready in about four months.

...Stupid idea to be paying for a living being though...

10. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

IVF for humans?

11. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

Dogs... aren't they those horrid, slobbery things that yap all day long and try attacking you? :grr:

12. padair

padair Inebriated

No, that's Great Aunties at weddings. :D

I have had 2 Labradors, they can be the laziest beggars on earth until the "W" word is mentioned, then they'll walk for miles. You're best walking to the top of a hill and throwing a ball downhill until the dog gets tired.
    They're good with kids, very protective and very loyal.

The worst thing about them is that they'll eat anything and everything.

13. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

If you want a lazy doggy - get a bulldog - yea they're ugly n fat, but they'll sit down and refuse to go any further by the time you've got them to the end of the driveway! Then they'll just sleep for the rest of the day... or atleast thats what our nextdoor neighborus does!

I think they have lots of health problems too... hmm... sounds expensive... get a chihuahua! :p

14. fuzzball172

fuzzball172 What's a Dremel?

I find dogs to be a bit tough... but if prepared correctly, they can be quite palatable... the chinese have some truely inspired recipies...

The best I found so far in hong kong last year was deer ligaments in a plum and ginger sauce....

15. saccharomyces

saccharomyces What's a Dremel?

My friend just got a husky puppy. Don't get one of those if you are looking for an easy dog.