1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Thinking of an AMD upgrade....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by st1x, 9 Nov 2012.

1. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

Currently I have a Phenom II X2 550 BE sitting in a Sabretooth 990 FX

I can't unlock the CPU (i've tried) so it's only a dual core and i'm looking to purchase something new and shiny.

It must be able to fit under a Dark Rock Pro C1, so I am throwing myself on the mercy of the AMD techies.

I don't want to spend stupid amounts on a CPU and at the same time I don't have enough for anything Intel based.

I see that the FX-8350 and the A10-5800K are both worth having a look at but im unsure what would be the better option, having not spent much time looking on the AMD front myself.

Whatever i get, i aim to overclock the crap out of it and an internal GPU isnt completely necessary as i have a gtx 280 and a couple of 4xxxs available.

Views, perspectives and comments please folks :)

Nic

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Either:

Find a Phenom II X6 in stock/2nd hand
    or
    update the BIOS to 1604 BEFORE you opt for an FX 83xx
    1.Improve system stability.
    2.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

If you opt for an A10 you'll have to change your board to FM2.

EDIT - T series are unlocked and it's about 85 quid. Damn I'm tempted to replace my Athlon II X3 in my HTPC!!

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1045t-sok-am3-27ghz-6mb-cache-95w-retail?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006G76LZY/

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Nov 2012
  3. st1x

Hmmm, ok. So i cant afford a new mobo and my thoughts are now pressed between finding a decent high spec Phenom 2 X6 1xxxT/1100T for a good price or flashing and going with an FX core.

Bindi, as much as i would like to support new chips, i can't see the point in paying extra for something that isn't really needed.

I will be mainly using this for gaming and i want longevity as when i get round to retiring the system i'll probably make some sort of server/htpc/folding machine with it or something.

Is it true that in single core applications/gaming the FX isn't much faster at all than the p2 x6 ?

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

x6's are getting fairly rare. think scan still had some

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Pretty much. I didn't expect you to go FM2 given your budget. Personally I'd go for that 85 quid 1045T and OC it to 3.5ish. T series is unlocked so certainly possible.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'd go x6 if I was you also.

7. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Try find a 1055t as they could be pushed to 4ghz with decent cooling. That board should be able to do it no prob.

8. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

You'd be very lucky to find a 1055t that can reach 4Ghz, my 1090t won't go above 3.9 without ridiculous voltages or instability.

But a 1090T is a good upgrade, or a 1100T.

Bulldozer/Piledriver is not worth it. To my mind, anyway- although you'd have an easier time finding one.

9. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Most the 95w 1055t's would do 4ghz. Aria and overclockers used to sell them as bundles. I used to put them together.

Having said that, i think 4ghz on those chips was pretty over rated, no real world difference to 3.8ghz, but made all the difference to temps.

10. st1x

Thank you for your replies so far... unless the FX chips somehow manage to pull off a miracle it looks like i'm going to be searching for a black edition 1075/1090/1100 T chip. Will let you know if/when i can find one and i may even throw a few temps around if i happen to be chuffed enough with the dark rock :)

Nic