1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Thinking of upgrading headset/keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeStorm, 16 Nov 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah, I was just checking quality wise, since both style and as you said, size wise the PLU wins easily (to me)

Reckon I'll go ahead and order a PLU M87 then :)

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I hope you like it. Make sure to give it at least a week to get used to, as they feel a lot different than membrane keyboards. It takes a bit to get used to not having to smash the key into the bottom and only half press it.

3. GeorgeStorm

Haha, I'll let you guys know how I get on, not sure whether to go ahead and buy it now, or wait until I've actually sold my current keyboard (have agreed with the buyer, just not meeting him till next weekend)

And so did you buy directly from that shop?

Edit:
    Wait, just saw that it's 2KRO (thought I'd read it was 6)
    That won't be enough for gaming etc :/

looks like I'll have to reconsider.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2011
  4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm going to suggest a Corsair K60, I have one on preorder. i used one at LITS and I fell in love with it!

5. IvanIvanovich

Well it is offically 2kro overall, but gaming optimized. So you can press wasd+shift and register them all for example. The Black Widow is also 2kro though.
    If you want something similar and only slightly more with 6kro you could get a Ducky For about 70gbp shipped. They also have a cheaper XM (Alps) switch keyboard too for about 40gbp shipped.
    I won't recommend the Corsair. They took a lot of shortcuts on that, with the membrane on 1/3 the keyboard. Also it added increased complexity for no good reason to offer more possible failure points. You can get other FULL mx switch keyboard for less without waiting.

6. GeorgeStorm

Another reason I'm changing keyboard (well, not a reason, but certainly want to make sure my next keyboard doesn't have the same problem) is that I can't press left shift, space and the right arrow key at the same time (vital for SMB :p)

What currency is that site in?
    Got rather confused :/

And I was thinking of this as a direct replacement:
    http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-spor...o/noppoo-pro-mechanical-gaming-k/lid=18974424

But if I can get those keyboard for less... (I thought Ducky were really good, so why were the PLU mentioned above them?)

Edit:

Think I get it now, and have seen the CMStorm Quickfire, which seems pretty good, and around the same price as a Ducky, any thoughts?

7. IvanIvanovich

Ducky is good, but PCHome is not the easiest to order from. Their payment system is problematic for foreign order. The best way to avoid problem is to ensure you have enough in paypal account to pay, not credit card transfer. Contacting them to fix the order can take a lot of time. The currency is in New Taiwan Dollars. OCN store offers Ducky too, but they don't tend to keep them in stock always and cost more there.
    PLU is very close in quality to Ducky, and I knew it wasn't nkro, but thought it was 6kro until you prompted me to double check that. Sorry about that. It's hard to remember everything about each keyboard.

8. GeorgeStorm

I wasn't having a go at you, was just wondering, you've been more than helpful :)

Been having a bit of a read at geekhack, man I wish I'd never started looking at mech keyboards :p

9. IvanIvanovich

No, I didn't think so, but I wanted to answer your questions. I know it is a big investment for some, and you want to feel like you got the best you could. Just like anything else.
    I know the feeling. Sometimes I wish that I had no clue, as I have spent a LOT of money on my keyboards this year. Once I got my first it was such a big difference I wanted one for all of my computers. But I am confident it was money well spent at the same time.

10. GeorgeStorm

Yeah, I'm certain I'll be happy with it, may just choose not to upgrade other components to save money (since I was looking at upgrading other things partially just because I wanted new stuff :p)

geekhack has a thread showing how to do the pchome payment system, so I think that should be ok.
    Now going to have a looksie at various models, I do like the look of the ducky ones. And 20usd shipping isn't too bad, although don't think I'll get it in time for the LAN next weekend :(

11. IvanIvanovich

I've ordered things from Taiwan and had them in 3 days to the US. With EMS it is fast air shipping so as long as your customs office doesn't delay it you might get it in time.

12. GeorgeStorm

Hmm, slight concerns with the possibly build quality of the Ducky 1087, but not sure what other tenkeyless ones there are unless I spend ~100 for a filco :/

Or ofcourse the CMStorm Quickfire, while I don't like all of their logos etc, might be the safest bet

13. IvanIvanovich

The first batches of the Ducky had some problems, but most reports suggest it was resolved in more recent production.
    CM Storm is a very good keyboard, but I agree about all of the logos. They went a little too far, one is enough. The red switch version comes in a black body instead of silver and looks a little classier. Red switch is really light, but my personal favorite.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The K60 is really good, I just wish it wasn't delayed so much :(

15. GeorgeStorm

Ok cool, is there any way of knowing which switches will come with the keyboard on pchome, since I can't see where it says?
    Done a bit more reading into the Ducky, and I think I'll go for one

Pete let us know how it is once you get it, it does look quite nice, if it was tenkeyless or backlit (either or) I might consider it.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats the point of it, it's ment to be a straight forward keyboard without the gimmics :) I'll pop back once it comes, should be later on this week

17. IvanIvanovich

Yes, brown is called tea, and blue is called green when ran through translate. Some of them have two switch type on the same keyboard too... If you're still unsure I can verify it if you tell me which one you want.
    You probably want this one, 87 key brown switch with English legends on the keys.

18. GeorgeStorm

Mm, fair enough, don't get me wrong, looks like a nice keyboard, but not worth the price (now that I know I can get these keyboards imported)

And I can't decide whether I prefer the look of the keyboard with the chinese letters on aswell :p

19. digitalerr0r

digitalerr0r What's a Dremel?

i recommend
    Headset - ATH-AD700 with zalman clipon mic

Keyboard-mech leopold

20. IvanIvanovich

Leopolds are fantastic, but someone on another forum imported one to UK and it cost them more than a locally sourced Filco after shipping, VAT. If price wasn't a concern I would have recommend it.
    If you like the Chinese go for it. If you decide you don't like it later you can always get a different keyset.