1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Thinking of upgrading my monitor. Thoughts on Korean displays?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David164v8, 25 Jan 2013.

1. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

U2711 if you do not mind refurbished with 1 year warranty.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

2B circuit board, no and both. They get a lie. They are pushing the impossible, and get a mess, and false true experience. Sure if they are happy and want to believe what they want to believe, good for them (Placebo effect?!). And if they are happy with the results they get with Nvidia 3D glasses, sure. But a true 120Hz TN panel will beat it hands down. I won't believe that someone tries it side by side, and say it's just as good. To me, already the fact that they acquired these cheap Korean monitors, suggest that their standards are very low, so they are not picky when they say "it's the same".

2B circuit aren't made anymore (too many panel broke?!). So now all you do is play with the back light refresh rate, like on TV's.

Why do we have CES? Is it really for Consumers? Not really, a large part of products demonstrated, especially on TV/Monitor, you will never be able to touch these products. They are just there to say "Look at we can do! Look at what we are working on!", in other words, to attract investors. Why no true 120Hz IPS monitor was not showed anywhere at any CES in the past years? Think about it for a seconds. It makes no sense to not reveal this.

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Yet the fact that such panels can be made to achieve something "Close to" 120hz implies that the Technology is close, what would stop LG (Since it's their panels used; they'd have the best insight, no?) from turning around and going "CHECK IT OUT, BITCHES, WE GOT 120HZ IPS UP IN THIS SHIZNIT!", even if the response times aren't brilliant?

The fact that they managed 120hz and 3D vision without distortion to the point where it wasn't functional proves that those panels are close enough that some refinement would make it functional. Sure; you'd probably have to Bin the panels, and lifespan would take a hit, but that's always been a known issue with current TN 3D panels anyway.

And more for the sake of argument; Some of those Korean panels are sold over here, the Achieva Shimian is sold as a Hazro HZ27WC screen over here, nigh indentical internals and panel, just a £200 markup, you don't even get OSD unless you pay another £300 to get the 10 bit panel variant with extra features.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2013
  4. GoodBytes

This is a question directly for an engineer that work in the business in manufacturing LCD monitors. It could also be a mix of things: On of them is, as they are world wide manufacturing companies they can be sued for false advertising. Remember, also, that the cheap Korean monitor aren't advertising 120Hz, if I am not mistaken. People, decided to force things. The panel used in them are LG or other LCD manufacture panels depending on the model. And again, the monitor is essentially directly plug to the DVI output. So you can push anything you want going above specs of the monitor.

To me, doing this, is like pushing a fan to go faster than what it was designed to go. Yea it works... might work for 2-3 years if you are lucky. But the motor is running hot, possibly breaking itself slowly, or create heat defeating a bit the purpose of the fan, where you end up with just a loud fan but practically little cooling (getting into really being inefficient zone), sounds like a jet reactor as it's completely debalanced. In any case, "2B" ciruit isn't made anymore.

You usually keep a monitor for 5-7 years. If it last 3 years, than would be a very sucky purchase (of course manufacture error can occur, and it sucks, but I am talking about in general).

5. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Yeah that's where I was planning to get it from :) I notice they are selling three different models of 27 inch monitors. A U2713H, a U2711 and a 2709W. I think I'll go for the U2713H, and I think it's the newest (2013 model?) and the other two are from 2011 and 2009, right?

6. .//TuNdRa

I can see exactly where you're coming from, from the lifespan view of things, but my question is: If the panels are capable of it; (1440P 120hz, that is) why haven't we heard of it? True, it's not true 120hz, due to the switching delay from IPS, but the fact it's "close enough" that most people are content with it shows that it's a possibility. Sadly; I don't happen to keep any LG engineers in my contacts list, otherwise i'd be asking them all these questions.

7. GoodBytes

Keep in mind that it could be other things too. Then again "close enough" is very subjective. How many people say that their computer are "super duper quiet', yet sounds like a jet plane rector. How many people suggest TN monitors swearing they are the best and how the colors are amazing, and such, yet its clearly not. So maybe that is why companies don't make these monitors, as they simply can't deliver. ANd the question also comes, to why did these Korean manufacture stop making these monitor with the "2B" circuit. If it was true, they could have a mass growth of monitors sales.

Now, I have no doubt in my mind that IPS panels true 120Hz will come, eventually. And I know many will go "You see, it is possible IdiotBytes!!!! Korean Cheap Monitor for the Win!!!!!!111111", even thought they are still wrong as it's not a true one, and that the official 120Hz IPS monitor are a true one. I mean IPS panels came a very long way since several years ago. They used to be for professional only, if you watch fast action movies you got blur vision of a mess. Since what? 2007-08, they became fine for games, and continue to get faster at every few generations. So we are getting there, but not today.

Would be fun to have one though. So many questions!

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've got two U2711 brilliant monitors.

BTW they have a rep here on bt it may pay to contact him first I seem to remember him saying they might do deals for bt members :thumb:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/member.php?u=147296

9. .//TuNdRa

Who knows, Perhaps at the next CES we'll start to hear rumours of it. I'm curious as to how much it'll be pursued. Who wouldn't want a 120hz IPS panel? The usual stigma of 3D - The loss of colours, would vanish in an instant. Admittedly; the brightness issue would remain, but I'm sure there'd be fixes out there for that eventually.

Dear LG: Stop pushing these ridiculous 4K screens, give us cheaper IPS panels with 120hz 3D plz. Sincerely; Everyone with money ever.

10. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Thanks! I've bookmarked that page :)

EDIT: Hmm. Any ideas when a 120Hz IPS monitor would be released? I don't think I would buy one anyway, as it would probably cost waaay more than either a U2711 or a U2713HM. And I really doubt my 6870 could run a 2560x1440 at 120Hz :)

Teelzebub likes this.
  11. GoodBytes

They are cheap IPS panels.. it's eIPS panels. Now, you can get a 23inch 1080p monitor IPS (eIPS) for like 250-300$ Canadian/US. Sadly LCD technology isn't moving as fast as processors. Maybe your next monitor.

12. .//TuNdRa

I mean cheap 1440P or above screens. The price jump up from simple 1080 to 1200 is ridiculous, moreso to 1440. It'd be nice if these screens became something more affordable.

13. GoodBytes

The problem is that the average consumer doesn't want large screen. 23-24inch is the most demanded size. Computer enthusiasts and professionals wants 1440p. Those who don't care about image output and just want 1440p, is very slim. Usually, people that use a lot of the computer, wants a good high-end consumer grade monitor.

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

BTW I am loving my U2711, thanks for all the info :)

15. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Okay, so now that I'm pretty much decided on some sort of a 2560x1440 monitor, would about the graphics side of things? If I bought a 670 now, how long would it be able to play modern games and still have them at high settings? Or would I have to keep on buying high end GPU's every couple of years? That could get pretty expensive ;)

16. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I am on a 580 and everything on max in BF3 and Crysis 2. If you go for a good quality higher end card it should last 3-5 years depending on the the console renewal cycle and if you must have every game at max. The witcher 2 for example can stutter on absolute max settings but one down and it barely looks different and is smooth.

17. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

That's good to hear, used 580's are pretty cheap, right? Or maybe I should just wait until the next generation? Also, hows that Samson GoMic for Skype? Was thinking of picking one up.