1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks ThinkPad vs. MacBook keyboards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheninat0r, 23 Aug 2010.

1. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

I'm shopping for a laptop atm, and after being spoiled by my mechanical keyboard I want one with a decent keyboard (for a laptop). Now I've used ThinkPads and I know they're probably some of the best keyboards ever made for laptops, but a lot of Apple fans I've talked to also swear that their MacBook Pro keyboards are wonderful. Any advice?

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Apple fans will swear to anything Apple. Chiclet keyboards aren't very comfortable IMO, there isn't enough travel.

Go to an Apple store and try a MBP keyboard for yourself.

3. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Heh well, the ThinkPads I was looking at both use chiclet style keyboards - the ThinkPad Edge and the ThinkPad x100e.

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

chiclet keyboards arent that bad... i am typing this on one of those thin aluminum apple chiclet keyboards (supposedly the same as the laptop) and it's actually pretty decent for typing on.

Obviously, I don't like it as much as my IBM Model M bucking spring board, but it's a decent keyboard. Probably about on par with a good workstation laptop keyboard (my HP Elitebook 8510w keyboard is very similar, I am not sure which I prefer, but that's definitely a great laptop keyboard), and certainly better than a rubber dome keyboard. The edges aren't beveled, and the key travel is short, but they make a satisfying click when you hit them all of the way down. It's not a mushy keyboard, which I like.

Oh, and before I get a taste of the haterade - I have it for my HTPC. My 13-year-old Model M ain't going nowhere. I wanted a small keyboard to put just above/behind my Model M to control my second PC.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

IBM laptop have great keyboards, I've haven't typed enough on an Mac keyboard to give it a fair review

But by far the best keyboard I've used is on my Sony Vaio Y

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I actually prefer the pre-unibody MBP keyboards. The new ones are ok, although I am finding the spacing hard to adjust to. When I buy an external keyboard for home use, I will most likely look at logitech rather then apple.