1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Thinnest computer monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OneSeventeen, 18 Nov 2010.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

We need to mount a few monitors in the surface of a table, just looking for the absolute thinnest we can find. (I'd be willing to buy laptop monitors if we could somehow put a controller/PSU 6' away from it)

Any ideas?

I would love to go under an inch thick, but that seems surprisingly difficult.

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Buy an LED monitor and take the case off since you're mounting it in a table anyway, you can put the power and circuitry somewhere else(although you'll need to extend the cables.

Or buy some of sony's crazy thin OLEDs.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2010
  3. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Just get a LED monitor [EDIT: beaten to it!] - i have a couple (broken) LCD's here with CCFL backlights and 90% of the depth is the ccfl!

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

5. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

wait, you want the monitor to sit completely flat on a table? Thats a little bit of a problem since all LED monitors are thin because they hide most of their components like the PCB in the stand.

I never disassembled a LED monitor yet so I don't know how long the cables that lead to the stand but it shouldn't be much of a problem.

LED monitors are more expensive but I think the tinnest would be the Acer S243HL

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

LED depends on the size for cost. I picked up two 22" monitors for $160 ea. Some standard LCD monitors sell for $200 plus in the same size... So go figure...

Good luck on your project, you should post some pictures of your final product once you have it done.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Strip a normal TFT down & you'll find the panel is very shallow.
    Mount the psu & control boards under the desk (or in the desk) and job done

9. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I'll definitely try stripping some existing TFT's down, but it has been difficult finding one that I can relocate the PSU & control boards.

The desk will be collapsible, so the surface needs to fold down and not have a bunch of electronics sticking out of it. (Basically the thickness of the surface will be determined by the thickness of the monitor I find)

I will definitely post pics.

We also have a 9" widescreen touchscreen going into a podium with a custom iPad mount. Should be a fun project to be a part of.