1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling this week's intake and system update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Risky, 1 Oct 2004.

1. couzo

couzo What's a Dremel?

2. Risky

Risky Modder

you can use them together. though the AC blocks are regarded by some as rather restrictive, having G1/8 threads.

You could look at the Innovatek block shown here

3. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Risky, the res looks great! How is the temp probe working? You got it connected to that clever little SMbus doohicky?

Pug is having some difficulties preventing him from providing the service he is used to providing. Keep an eye on wizdforums, im sure he will make it known when he has solved his problems. FWIW there is a post made made by him a week or so ago explaining his situation.

4. Risky

Risky Modder

Nope this one goes to the remote probe connector on the motherboard. I'm now fully equipped with eight temp readings in MBM :jawdrop:

Last edited: 5 Oct 2004
  5. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

holy poo! Eight! rofl ... cant wait to get mine when starbuck gets round to doing the new ones... then ill have 8 too :D

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I see a new challenge coming on... :naughty: "How much hardware can you cram in a case and still have it look tidy?"

So far, I feel I'm doing rather well... but I'm not sure how much additional stuff Risky's got in there. Risky? What you got in there?

7. Risky

Risky Modder

Well that's pretty much where I'm going on this one. I always saw an unused port or header as a challenge. Its seems strange to have a high-end PC and then use onboard sound so as to keep the case tidy!

Anyway here we are:

You asked:

Watercooling
    The cooling contains:
    • Asetek Antartica cpu block
    • Alphacool AP1500 pump (on 12V while I finish my PSU mod)
    • Asetek 'original' waterchill radiator - modified to take pushfits
    • Innovatek Fass-O-Matic resevoir (at top out of shot)
    • Alphacool NexXxoS GP2-A ATI 9xxx GPU block
    • Tubing is clear Legris Flexible 10/7m exchept from res to pump to rad which is nylon 12/10mm.
    • Bleed/Auxloop fittings are all in stainless steel G1/4
    • Loop order is Res>Pump>Rad>GPU>GPU>(dual lines)>Res
    • Fittings are from Legris, Norgren, SMC, Festo and unknown!
    • Pump is on a variable 12-24V supply controlled from a dial on the front panel
    • 2x 120mm Panaflo Metal fans with RPM
    • 1x 80m Noiseblocker SX2
    Core Hardware
    • Asus P4C-800E Deleuxe i875
    • P4 2.8E Prescott
    • 2x512Mb Crucial PC400
    • Radeon 9800Pro
    • VisonPlus DTV card (bargain at 40+VAT - all freeview channels)
    • RD2 PC Geiger bus monitoring card and Drivebay unit
    • Adaptec 2410SA PCI SATA Raid 5 card
    • SB Audigy2 ZS OEM
    • 4x Maxtor 120Gb SATA will be 3 drive Raid 5 and one hotspare
    • Sony DVD
    • Sony CDRW
    • A little 3 way fan controller in fron tof one of the HDDs!
    • A Starbuck3733T special SMBus 5 temp monitoring unit
    • and ye olde floppy drive (which I actually needed!!!!)
    Case
    A GlobalWin 802 - (Classic case?) with a few years hacking, namely:
    • Sides, top sanded to bare metal
    • Plastic front bezel removed
    • Drives slid back flush or close
    • Bulgin switches for pwron, reset
    • Front 120mm intake
    • Fass-o-matic in roof of case
    • overloaded castors (botch, tbh)
    • side 120mm fan (will probably remove when I window at some point.).
    • Front 5.1 headphone ports.
    • Front lightswitch
    • Front Pump control

The yet to do list is:
    • NB Block - see nearby thread!
    • Replace the PSU - this one doesn't have enough lines really
    • Pump Power monitoring - usign a current transducer and a Dallas 1-wire rig to read voltage and current
    • Flow rate measurement
    • Maybe a pressure transducer
    • PSU power consumption
    • Lights and window some day!

Edit forgot the possible new bezel plan but that hasn't got anywhere in the last few years.

Edit2 Forgot my LCD scree, but I'm keeping it in an external unit with USB hub and cardreader!

Last edited: 5 Oct 2004
  8. Risky

Risky Modder

And some pics:
    Hiding the cables
    [​IMG]

The front with bits
    [​IMG]

pump and rad
    [​IMG]

blocks
    [​IMG]

That res
    [​IMG]

And all those sensors in MBM - shame Asus only monitors 4 voltages
    [​IMG]

The biggest hassle has been fitting four HDDS when the rad obstructs the bottom cage. I had to cut down the top plate for one and the do a lot of hacking to fit a disk behind the RD1 unit. Theres been a fair bit of drilling and cutting by the by in this rig.

EDIT to post the right res picture :wallbash:

Last edited: 6 Oct 2004
  9. TMM

TMM Modder

jebus-h-christ!
    don't get me wrong, but thats just some generally lazy wiring. :p hehe

pull every single wire out of the whole system and pull all the psu wires out to the right side.
    Then start wiring it again. starting with wires that will be close to the mobo (Sata cables for example) and finishing with ones closer to the left side of the case (eg. molex power for a hdd).
    That should reduce the tangle of wires, hehe :)

<pimp>
    this is my wiring job ;).
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/TMMTMM/P9190020.jpg
    it was quite a rats nest, so i just pulled every wire out of it and started again.
    its hard to see the inside from that pic. There a heap of wires stuffed behind the drive cage, out of sight.
    anyway, just go slowly and think about where wires are going to go :p
    </pimp>

Last edited: 6 Oct 2004
  10. Risky

Risky Modder

:sigh: If you look very carefully or read the spec above you will see that there are one or two more components tan in your sytem. In fact I've had to use every molex connector (bar one FDD) and 2 y-splitters. You're not running any PCI cards and have half the drives and no watercooling in a bigger case.

I've done a quick count and at the moment I need 4x SATA power 1x FDD power and 6xMolex. That might go up by 1 over the weekend.

Plus you have 3 fans with rpm monitoring and connection to the front panel, front speaker portsx3, five additional temp probes, 4 front USB, front firewire, PCI bus monitoring, a 24V variable stepup PSU.......

Now this isn't to say I think its an optimal setup, but hardly lazy wireing all the same.

Now on reflection I can hide a few more bits at the back, but really it is not that simple when you're doing what I'm doing to that case.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I've just realised, you've got the same case as me! I've been looking into mounting some plexi or something on the front using standoffs. Thankfully I don't have half the stuff you have so it's fairly tidy inside :) I've twisted the molex wires around in mine and it made it look much better and easier to hide them - I'll get a piccy so you see what I mean.

Also, the pressure meter you have there - I've looked on the Airline site and the closest match I can find is one filled with glycerine, but it has a 1/8" BSPT fitting, with either 40mm or 50mm dial - what is the one you have, with the wire coming out of it? And does it work as a pressure sensor??

12. Risky

Risky Modder

Classic case :hip: yeah my plan was to mount a thick acrylic sheet (6mm?) on the front and then Aluminium on top of that (1.2mm) The Arylic would be acting as a spacer so would then need a lot of drilling/ grinding for every rivet and screw. However you could then light the acrylic for a pretty cool effect. A have got the wires down a bit but whatever I do there is a lot of wire in there!

It was with glycerine (50mm 1/4BSPP, 1bar) and doesn't really work that well in that the range is too large. I haven't installed it after all. You really need one with a lower pressure range. Also its still bloody big for the setup.

I will probably leave it and go for the fancier approach using pressure transducers to get a reading in software, but its a while off.

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

14. Risky

Risky Modder

Nice, but looks expensive.

Tags: