1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Thomas-Rasset gearing up for an appeal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jul 2009.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That's why every supermarket/clothing/electro chain has to pay fees to be allowed to play music in their stores.
    And why you pay a quarterly fee for public channels on TV and radio in many countries.

And I don't think you can say that none of the people who downloaded music from her wouldn't have bought it if they hadn't had the chance to download it for free. Some of them might have bought it in a shop but decided to download because it's cheaper [F-R-E-E].

80k per song is a bad joke but what she did was wrong. Illegal downloads are wrong, ethically. Why it breaks the law to download a song instead of recording it from [digital] radio is beyond me but morally it is wrong in our society.

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

And I might have shoot my own leg. And I might have jumped out of the window. And I might be breathing fresh air.

The probability that they did not bought it in a store/online is more then the might have bought it. Or you can turn it around and they might not have downloaded it but and just looked at it..

I can download music and movies legally for studying or own usage. I just may not sell, distribute or upload them. I may even rent a music cd or dvd movie and copy it for my own use. Its in our book of law since 1912 (with added aditions for modern carriers). The exception of this rule are data and computer programs like games, databases and operating systems.

I pay fee allready for the current carriers. And I will probaby soon pay a fee for flashdrives, hd's and all other computer related data carriers, the fee is handled by the Home Copy Foundation and from there the money gets distributed equally to the rightful owners. (artist etc)

Currently the fee is for every single item:
    Data cd-r/rw: € 0,14 per disc
    Blanco dvd-r/rw: € 0,60 per 4,7 gigabyte*
    Blanco dvd+r/rw: € 0,40 per 4,7 gigabyte*
    Audio cd-r/rw: € 0,42 per uur (€ 0,52 per 74 minutes)
    HI MD € 1,10 per carrier
    Blanco dvd-RAM (fee-free)
    Video analoog (videocassettes) € 0,33 per hour
    Audio analoog (cassettetapes) € 0,23 per hour
    MiniDisc € 0,32 per hour

Even if it is from my own data I have to pay, like a recording of my own music, movie of my family etc.

for more information see here...

This is only for the Netherlands so don't make a mistake about that ;)

Last edited: 9 Jul 2009
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Then you're lucky. In almost every other country it's illegal to download stuff because it's considered theft.
    I know the studies that say that illegal downloads actually help sales but I think that a lot of people would buy their music if it wasn't that stupidly easy to download it. I mean every idiot and his/her dog know how to use Kazaa/Limewire and more and more morons learn about BitTorrent. Then there's 1-Click hosters like RapidShare, MegaUpload, EasyShare, etc...
    I've been on private boards and trackers before most of the kids using Kazaa and stuff even went to school and I find it shocking what has happened to the downloading scene!

That's why I don't think it's more realistic to say none of them would've lived without the music rather than paying for it if they couldn't download it for free. It's just too damn easy.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Yeah since the p2p era downloading for the chosen few is gone. I wish it would have stayed in the underground scene, the damage would not be as much as it is now.

I am a great fore stander to breakdown the whole p2p provider engine with no excuses. This will probably stop 80% of the downloading and kick it back to the underground scene where it suppose to be. (read; in a controlled environment) P2P biggest excuse, the distribution of large files are irrelevant since most of the worlds population have high bandwidth access. And company's that distribute have large connections to survive a mass download.

Or make the fee for all datacariers (cd/dvd/flash/usbsticks/hd etc) global. This will generate enough income to keep all of them happy including downloaders and the companies and artist on the other side of the rope.

You see there is no possible way to prevent downloading other then pulling the internet plug...

Last edited: 9 Jul 2009
Tags: Add Tags