1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Thomas-Rasset loses second trial against RIAA

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's like one mental midget beating up another

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

$1.92 million??? that's insane!

4. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

The whole thing is batshit to be fair, as the defendant has said several times she doesn't have any money, so its all rather a moot point. They could award the RIAA $1 billion for all the difference it would make.

5. Passarinhuu

Passarinhuu I huffs cats

$80.000 for infringement? Did she absorb the whole internet and then shared it?

6. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

And how much of that money will the hard working artists see? Silly me thought these laws were to protect artists creation, not the corporations bottom line....

7. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

I actually read an interesting article (and an associated research paper) on the reg earlier about the assumptions around copyright law - apparently it was initially created to ensure creativity and prevent artists from being sitfled, not for large companies to extort the public. Who knew....

I'd link the article but I am probably not supposed to, but its the article called "Economists say P2P file-sharing fuels art". Well worth a read for those who are interested in reasoned pro-p2p arguments, regardless of personal feeling on the subject.

8. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

Did the RIAA only go after people who uploaded music, or those that downloaded it as well. I would imagine the penalties for downloading are far less than uploading.

9. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

Whatever happened to juries standing up for the little guy? What possible discussions could have lead to awarding a giant corporation almost $2 million from a woman who is for all intents and purposes penniless?

10. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

ha really? it's whoever has the best lawyer(s) or if you have money to throw around.. like donte' stallworth got 30 days for killing a guy drunk driving- he's rich and paid off the family.. now someone like me gets 10-12 years for that.. the riaa has deep pockets- best just to stay out of the court system

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I saw this last night...

Yeah, America is going down even more. But the main problem here is the lack of the Music Industries realization that CDs aren't the only way.. Along with the RIAA totally going out of hand(she's penniless for god's sake, and it was bloody 24 songs, not $1.92 Million worth of the internet. $80,000 per song? Isn't that a bit arbitrary? Even the original $5 or $6k per song settlement was obscene.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ehh either way the record company wont see a dime, I doubt they will even bother to collect as there is nothing to collect. This is more for publicity sake to scare others in stopping their actions.

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Yeah, more fear mongering.

To be honest this is more ridiculous than scary. If they went to that many lengths to sue someone for 24 songs and fine her 2mil than you know they have far too much time on their hands.

14. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

She would have been better off stealing a car - the insurance would have paid out and she wouldn't have had to pay a dime. Sold the car, and bought the music legally.

My feeling on this is such a sentence can only be a result of a judge who is heavily in the RIAA's pocket or at least otherwise biased. On a level of common decency and common sense it makes no sense.

15. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

16. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

In my opinion it's not the jury's fault, she did commit the infringements. It's the judges fault for enforcing an outdated law. The infringement laws were created to protect companies from stealing material from other companies and using it to make a profit or stealing material from another company in order to damage that companies profit. For companies and corporations the fines and penalties aren't that outlandish, but for a normal person they are insane. Also if she doesn't pay they could take her to court again and have her wages garnished. For what she owes that would be for the rest of her life...

17. Natima

Natima What's a Dremel?

As a musician trying to make my way in the industry, I can safely say myself and countless others, would probably be far less likely to succeed if we hadn't had access to pirate material such as music and audio creation software. I have teachers at college that recommend pirate software to me. My guitar teacher, who happens to be the lead guitarist from Reef, said "Great! That's good you have this software!" when I told him about my pirate amp sims and recording software. I'm doing an apprenticeship with a top-level producer and songwriter who advised me on getting software through the internet. The fact is... 90% of all of us budding musicians/producers and students dont have the cash to pay £400 for a peice of software ON TOP of the extortionate hardware prices. £350 for a relatively featureless audio interface, Plus £400 for basic software with no plug-ins, plus guitars, amps, mics, studio monitors etc etc is just not possible. Even if you want to record without amps and mics, you need good DI boxes and amp simulation software, and virtual drum software.

If piracy is to be eliminated this all needs to change.

18. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

$1.92 million? seriously the RIAA has to rot somewhere , hell is not enough imho

19. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Why not get the all the artists who she "stole" from, and see if they are willing to accept $80,000 from a lady who doesn't have that much money.

If that was to actually happen, no artist would take money from a poor lady just because she downloaded a song.

The RIAA won't get any of that money. They just try to make examples out of people to scare people to not download music. The jury is a bunch if idiots too. I know they can't judge themselves, but come on, the RIAA is clearly an evil corporation.

20. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ehh all she will have to do is file for bankruptcy and be done with it ~_~

Tags: Add Tags