1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding those crazy lcd screens.....

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Da_BaCoN, 25 Feb 2003.

1. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

i got a question about lcd screens used in some mods. im talking about the ones where ppl put a 5" screen in the front of a lian-li and what not. i'm thinking about doing a similar mod (kinda) but i wanted to know about the lcds themselves. are they like the ones used for a gmaecube or ps2 that uses an rca jack? or do they plug into the lcd port of like a gf4? i was looking at screens on ebay and some used rca jacks, and others were gutted laptop screens and similar screens that i would think would be able to wire up to work, too.........

2. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

the ones you have seen done are as you say rca.
    in theory its possible to hook up a laptop screen but is generally regarded too expensive and too difficult due to not being able to find a controller (and if you do then finding the cash for it)
    a lot of these screens youve seen are actually stripped down playstation ones and similar.

3. Yoda

Yoda What's a Dremel?

The laptop screens are very ugly to wire up. I am sure there are otehrs who can attest to that. Not to sure about the others but stay away from laptop monitors unless you want to spend quite a bit of money.

4. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

The one used in my mod was a 5" with an RCA connector... made for Car seatbacks and such... Got mine on ebay....

You can see itHere

Mine cost about $89.99US, and yes, you can use the ones from the Gamecubes or PS1's ... They work nicely stripped down...

Agreement in full on Laptop screens... WAY too much money to do it, costs less to buy a whole new desktop LCD and mod that, at least it has the right connections..

5. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

Pflumingo, i saw your mod a while back, but never commented on it (forgive me!!) but thats one of the best mods ever functional and cool as heck. anyways, i'm not good at soldering anyways, so i'd rather not use a laptop screen. think i might pick me up a gamecube screen, since its got speakers and would work perfectly for my mod (if it has the right dimensions and everything) thanks everybody!