1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Those pieces of hardware you always wanted... But never owned.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wakka, 11 Jul 2017.

1. Byron C

Byron C Probably isn't Hitler, but definitely a muppet

Damn kids, no one has any respect these days...

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

OK, something a bit more modern.
    I wish I had owned a ROG Maximus V Gene with i5 2500K/3570K, a lovely mATX top spec board loaded with all the useful toys.

I turned down at least 2 on the MP, as I couldn't afford them. Can't complain really, as I love my Maximus VI Impact and enjoy proper SFF action.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Another one I owned and sold. Don't know why at all tbh - 2500K/V Gene was wonderful. I might just start keeping everything to satisfy my rose tinted glasses.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've started a small collection of stuff I really loved. I've kept my Revodrive and have some DDR2 Dominator (kept one stick) and some DDR3 doms too.

5. DeeBee

DeeBee New Member

Was eyeing the Palit GTX 760 Jetstream back in the days, with its red and gold accented cooler. Never got the chance to pick up one due to study and lack of $$. Wish things were different, could easily pick up one nowadays.

There are seriously some neat, clean looking GPU coolers in the past, most models nowadays seem to follow the armoured look.

6. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Member

Quite a few things I wanted , dual CPU set up with cross fire or sli, rob the robot....

7. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Lian Li V1000 I think it was. Always wanted one and they were always too expensive for me in order to afford it. Also back in the day always wanted a black PC 70.

8. Vault-Tec

I had the 670 Jetstream (X2). They looked great but they were annoying. Firstly they ate 3 sockets and secondly the fans made this awful whirring sound when running fast. What was totally stupid of course was that when I looked at the cards there was a .5 slot gap between the fans and the heatsink for no apparent reason. So in order to make them fit I cut down the plastic mounting posts on the cooler body (with the fans in) and put it back together after tap melting new screw holes. No temp change at all. So yeah, bad design. It could have easily been two slot, but they obviously wanted to make it look mean and beefy, completely forgetting about the guys who were running SLi. And SLi was good then.. Very, very good.....

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Well-Known Member

A Sparkle Calibre 8800 GTX... They were one of the most expensive ones on the market at the time I think?
    [​IMG]

10. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

God I hate 2.5/triple slot coolers with a passion... If the best air coolers on the market can do it within 2 slots (Strix/Gaming X/Aorus), then there's no excuse for the likes of Palit, Galaxy and Inno3D to breach that.

11. Vault-Tec

The 8800 Ultra was beautiful. However, I have owned one that's why I never mentioned it. I've also had a 760 Mars which was gorgeous and loads of other stuff like it.

12. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Active Member

For some reason I always wanted a the Steelseries SX solid mousemat - went for the cheaper SP which always had a pretty rough finish. I'm still using it 9+ years later but always regretted not getting the solid aluminium SX - and it's fair to say that the bit-tech review of the SP is pretty much spot on.

Think I still have both my old 500 and the 2nd hand replacement despite both not working anymore. Monitor long since gone. Emulation has replaced both, perfectly happy using my gaming rig and Amiga Forever and actually prefer using the emulator.

13. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Emulation is great, but there's something about the real metal. Between tinkering with old hardware and neat-o tricks that simply don't work under emulation, I'll always choose real hardware whenever possible.

Just a shame it takes up room, that's all!

14. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Much prefer the proper hardware too. Yes I can play old DOS games in DOS Box, but is not the same, runs far too fast on modern hardware and sometimes very very buggy. I'm still on the look out for some old 486 gear to build a retro DOS gaming machine. I've got most of the bits for a Pentium 3 Windows 98 Gaming box too - just need a case for it really.

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have most of the pieces for a kick-ass DOS rig: Pentium 233MMX (the fastest chip you can get before the Pentium II broke backwards compatibility with some older DOS software), 64MB EDO RAM, I-forget-what motherboard, Matrox Mystique graphics (I think - perhaps Matrox MGA, it's been a while since I dug the parts out), 3dfx Voodoo 4MB accelerator, and a SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold soundcard.

I really should pick up a case, power supply, and Compact Flash card, get that stuff out of mothballs...

16. Vault-Tec

Just bought one as it goes. 14 core 28 thread E5 V4 Xeon lol.