1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Thoughts on Cutscenes

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 12 May 2010.

1. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I don't care how long cut scenes are as long as I can press the Escape key to skip them.

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Member

The first two Thief games were by far the best I've experienced with cut scenes (not to mention difficulty settings, already discussed by Joe). Just some of the reasons they are still my favourite games today. The scenes moved the story onto the next level but did so without taking you out of the world from the previous level, the feel and immersion continued almost seemlessly and made you want to explore more.

3. t1alek

t1alek Mind modder.

Cutscenes as such don't bother me, but they're many terrible examples, especially in strategy games, as they use these to both drive the story forwards and set the tone of the game, when the game itself fails to do so. An often pointless endeavour.

I never played the first two thief games, but I loved the third. It felt like a victory in itself, whenever I triggered one of the peculiar cutscenes. I like when cutscenes seem as a reward, as in thief 3 mentioned above and the movies between the acts of Diablo 2.

Also Crysis.. a game that in general grows on me for every time I play it, has some cutscenes that never really feels out of place or too long that they're skippable doesn't hurt either.

4. musicrab

musicrab New Member

Just skip 'em if you don't like 'em. More annoying are animations, e.g. Far Cry 2 "buddy comes to help" animation. Hit the reload key straight away.

5. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

And don't forget they where excellent value for your money, hundreds of hours of fun unlike these days where you are done with a game in 5 to 10 hours... ahh the good old days.

6. Kipish Walter

Kipish Walter New Member

Thief did cutscenes right.

7. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome I go to 11

Most heartily agreement

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Just started playing Bayonetta, Cut scenes are a bit too long in that too. Other than that I'm really enjoying it.

9. Initialised

Initialised New Member

You should only be able to skip a cut-scene once you've been through it. But games should avoid repetition of stock animations.

Tags: Add Tags