1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Thoughts on iPad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ilikesimple, 17 Dec 2010.

1. ilikesimple

ilikesimple AKA Scare100

Hi

As the title suggests, what are your thoughts on the iPad?

I ask because I might get one for myself for xmas. 16gb version.

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If you're browsing the web alot and reading articles and if you're travelling/commuting alot with time to use it the train/bus etc, then this is the best device currently on the market to suit your needs imho.

There's nothing better suited for lying on the couch reading articles, reading/writing mails etc then an iPad and watching the last epsiode of your favourite TV-series on it while sitting in the train is aswell worth the money, if you've got the money to spare for it.

If you want to do more with it tho, then you're looking for the wrong kind of hardware and you should rather buy a Windows-notebook.

Oh and then there's the thing with the 3G-devices being more expensive and you want to make sure, that you have a mobile contract without traffic-limitations and atleast 1MBit of bandwith, if you plan on going online while out of range of an accesible WiFi-network.

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

watch out for the android crowd though.. they will label you immediately- you could be the smartest guy in the room, solved world hunger and built a fusion reactor in your backyard

if you are carrying an ipad, automatic -100 iq and you might as well have handlebar mustache

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Good luck...

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Depends on where he/she is living I guess.

Where I'm living you can get contracts without traffic-limit and up to 15Mbit for $15/month. No additional costs!

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Don't think we can get that here, but I haven't looked at it for awhile so I could be wrong... It'll be massively expensive though...

7. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Pretty much what JRS said. However do also consider other tablets and that the new Android ones are coming out very shortly.

Might also look at Samsung Galaxy Tab's? They're very lovely aswell.

8. GingerFox

GingerFox What's a Dremel?

Possibly a little biased working for DSGI but they have brought out the advent Vega @ £250 and appart from the connectivity and inbuilt storage, has better specs. But of course you can upgrade with a micro sd card. It's what im planning to buy anyway; i can't justify the price of the ipad personally

9. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Don't buy it!!! New iPad will be out in a month or two. Don't forget to look at the Galaxy Tab. Plus, there's also that new Notion Ink tablet coming out, with its main feature being the new Pixel Qi screen that has an e-Ink mode.

10. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

There is no way iPad 2 will be out before April. Maybe late march at a push.

11. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

tbh, i find it beats my laptop for random bedtime browsing (get your mind out of the gutter now). I've rarely taken it out of the house - and then it was to read comics, which are better on there than on kindle (for obvious reasons)

with the camera connection kit i can see it being used as a replacement to a laptop when travelling light, although then you might want to get the 64gb one (i bought the 32gb wifi)

12. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I've a 32gig wifi iPad and I use a Mifi when out and about.

It's the best media consumption device on the market really, for lounge computing its great, or if like me you travel a lot for work. But I'd have to agree, don't buy one now, wait for the second version which will be out in 2-4 months.

13. ilikesimple

ilikesimple AKA Scare100

Thanks for the quick feedback...

Im looking at either 32gb or 16gb currently and I already have a dual-booting laptop and a desktop.

14. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I'm not a fan of all things to be found in Jobs walled garden ...especially the ipad.

15. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

March ...that month that is usually found between Febuary and April. In fact it has NEVER occured before April!:duh:

Guest-16 likes this.
  16. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

They're well designed for what they do, don't own one myself but if I really wanted to play games and watch TV shows on the train then I'd definitely consider getting one.

17. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I'd say go for the 32gig without a doubt, with a bunch of apps on there you'll be swallowing the space up in no time, especially if you have a decent size music library you'll not have enough space for movies/tv shows before long.

Things like the Wired Magazine on the iPad takes ~500meg+ I usually have the latest copy on plus a few National Geographics... I kinda wish I had got the 64 gig flavor, but I'll do that next generation.

18. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I dont get your post! Are you just trying to be clever?

19. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

What/where are you going to be using the iPad? If it's anything other than basic web browsing and media over short commutes, I'd just forget it and keep your laptop. Reason being, while it is a better device for bedtime browsing and whatnot, as Fod said, I don't think that many people will be able to justify spending so much money on a device that will see occasional use. It's a fantastic device for comfortable computing, but I really don't see the price being justified!

20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Lol, well that bit him in the ass :D