1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News THQ Nordic confirms TimeSplitters acquisition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Aug 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

Read more

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

So many good memories playing TS2 co-op and spending hours making "zombie survival" maps. Would love a proper remaster of that game (never played 1 or 3, though!).

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

But I can't see the sheer quantity of models and maps Timesplitters was known for being viable when created for a "AAA quality" project, or sufficient budget being granted without AAA quality assets for marketing to show off.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Well that would depend entirely on the art style, if they keep to the very deliberately cartoonish look of the original games it won't cost too much. After all each game had 30 or 40 truly unique characters then a whole bunch of colour shifts or theme skins, except for the monkey they all had almost identical abilities too. Overwatch is pushing 400 different skins, so I see no rason why 100-150 isn't achievable.

My main worry is that the massivecharacter roster will be hidden behind some kind of paywall instead of the old play game get stuff system. It feels both inevitable and disappointing.

5. Intron

Intron New Member

Kind of cool that THQ has the Timesplitters licence.... Homefront 2 came out with the first 2 levels of Timesplitters 2 remade in it. This kinda hints at what was possible with a new Timesplitters. This was made by Dambusters studio in Nottingham. Dambusters is owned by Deepsilver.... which is owned by THQ.
    Also Dambusters was originally Crytek UK / Free Radical... which ties in very nicely THQ owning the rights and giving it back to the good guys at Dambusters to remake Timesplitters :D

Always worrying when a new company takes over some ones franchise... but kinda awesome if its given back to the original guys that made it in the first place

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

:p

Intron likes this.
Tags: Add Tags