1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thunderbird 1.2 @ TT Volcano 12 (No Fan)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnFish, 2 Jun 2006.

1. JohnFish

JohnFish New Member

Hey guys. I have an old thunderbird 1.2 ghz with a thermaltake volcano 12 in an htpc box I am building. I wanted to ask whether I can get away with no cpu fan (just the heatsink) and only try to have a decent airflow in the case. Thx

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well according to Wiki, the TDP is ~66W, so I'm not entirely sure if you can get away with a passive system. Maybe you should use a fan controller (via temp monitoring) to switch the fan on when it's hot and keep the fan off when it's idle. :)

3. hughwi

hughwi Well-Known Member

Ive got an old 1.2t-bird rig, and its got some sort of 60mm coolermaster HS+Fan combo on it, and its bloody hot! gets into the 70's when just surfing the web, room temps are about 23-25. Although they were built to withstand much higher temperatures than current chips, i think they are rated up to 100!

4. hitman012

hitman012 Active Member

Those old T-Birds are hot - it's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to run it passive. You could probably replace the heatsink fan with a quieter model, but without a fan it'll most likely overheat.

5. JohnFish

JohnFish New Member

I cant put the fan on the usual way, ie over the heatsink, cause there is no space. I can put it on the side (most likely I ll do this) or replace the hsf with another one (slimmer).

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

I am currently building a Linux box with which I am going to attempt to cool passively!but its only a celeron 500 or so, and when I had it running for 4hrs., with no fans on whatsoever it got to about 35deg...