1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thunderbirds the Movie

Discussion in 'General' started by JADS, 31 Jul 2004.

1. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Well that sucked. Nice set pieces, but the rest of the movie was typically annoying American kid buddy movie. Are American kids really that thick they need this utter drivel to amuse them?

2. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Hollywood RAPED it, really.really. hard...

Its terrible, hell the only thing good in it was the rack on Lady P, and the only person they got correct was Parker, other than that was terrible, i mean, overly camp baddies, MIND CONTROL POWERS?????, a flying pink..FORD car, Erm scotts like 16? instead of like 21ish like he was orgionally, gah, was ruined

... M@(a disappointed)

3. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Dude... it was like originally made with puppets and Airfix models! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah! I believe it was a Ford btw cos RR said they were too busy to make one for the movie.

4. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Yeah well that may be, but it seriously ruled.

I haven't seen the movie, and I don't intend to, I'd like to keep my memories of Thunderbirds good ones.

5. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

It was Spy Kids 3.

6. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Not even going to see it myself, I saw the trailer and it was clear they absolutely butchered it :(

I don't care that the original series was pmade with uppets and models, and that you can see the strings sometimes, and that all the characters have heads slightly too big for their bodies, and that baddies always have noel gallagher eyebrows....it was still good! It didn't need the hollywood treatment, annoying kiddy characters, and a busted song on the soundtrack...thats about the quickest way to kill a film imagineable.

In truth the original thunderbirds film/'feature length' episode (Thunderbirds are go, it was on CH5 the other day) wasn't great either mind you, the one with zero-X, and the 'rock snake' aliens on mars :eyebrow:, I mean the 'normal' episodes were far better than that was....

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

What was wrong with the movie: (apart from the awful plotline, 'cute' actors and americanism)

The Thunderbirds are filmed by TV crews
    The Hood doesn't have glowery eyes
    Thunderbird Three docks sideways with Thunderbird 5
    Brains has a Kid!!!
    Tintin has mini 'hood' mindcontrol powers
    Jeff Tracey is in his late 30s!
    There are no falldown palmtrees when Thunderbird 2 launches
    Lady P has a mobile phone not a video screen makeup thingy.
    Ford product placement (not even subtle either)
    The pod doesn't drop from Thunderbird 2 when they want to launch Thunderbird 4.
    The Thames river is like 200m deep!

Lady P's car. Its not a rolls, it flies. SO WRONG!

Comedy moments: Brains stuttering :hehe:

8. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Cars by Ford, Music by Busted. Says it all, really.... :D

9. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

What a shame! Haven't seen it any probably won't.

Just another classic TV show being pimped out by the corporate hollywood machine.

$$$ is all it's about, hang artistic integrity :sigh:

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I sort of liked it. If you don't set your aspirations too high but just see it for what it is: a modern remake of a sixties children's series, then it is not bad at all. The Thunderbird machines were very well done --I want a T1 (but there is no way I can suspend my disbelief enough to see Lady P's car fly). The whole thing had the 60's feel down right. And Ben Kingsley just camped up the villain piece for all it was worth! :thumb:

I would have liked it if they went a bit more like "Lost In Space", where they injected some modern "update" of familiy dynamics (Things are not wholesome like in the old series there: dad is lost in his work, mum struggles to fulfill two roles as career-mother and the kids feel neglected and cynical, and are well out of control) and of bad guy dynamics (Dr. Smith is now not an ego-centric scientist causing trouble through sheer selfishness, but an out-and-out psychopath recruited by genuine real-deal terrorists to sabotage the mission).

11. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I heard the theme tune the other day on tv. And I seriously wanted to hang myself. The only thing that would make me want to see this movie is Ben Kinglsy as the hood. However the rest of it looks so bad I can't bring myself to watch the tv spots let alone go to the cinema and watch the movie.

12. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

A note to Americans and other people from foreign parts thinking of visiting the UK in the not too distant future. Presently London does not have a monorail and if you were expecting to see one well tough luck.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think that most people sort of appreciate that Thunderbirds (and therefore the London depicted in that film) is set in a hypothetical future? the big T's and the flying car are, like, giveaways.

I don't visit Los Angeles expecting, like, Blade Runner either. :p

14. k3nn

k3nn What's a Dremel?

well thats put me off going to see the film. jsut cant believe that theres no fold down palm trees, id also end up moaning about the lack of strings. Although the thunderbirds look far better then before, apart from T2 and T4 that is.

15. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

One of my mates is in it, and being the biggest Thunderbirds fan in the world, I'm scared of going just for the mere dissappointment. Being set in 2004, it's ermm...61 years out of date and doesn't fit in with anything. One of the big factors in the TV series' success was the perfection in technicalities *sp?* and how everything was amazingly-well designed. This looks rushed and terribly casted- The Hood and Parker being the only characters with resemblence to their tv counterparts. Still, I should really go and watch it first...

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Having just seen this, I can say that there are folding palm trees.

But a flying 6-wheeled Ford Thunderbird and Brains having a son called Fermat of all things!
    (Ever hear of his last theorem?) :D

They even took the Adam West Batman route for The Hood's sidekicks, naming them
    "Transom" & "Mullion" after window parts! (glass not M$) :duh:

All in all, I'm glad I didn't pay to see it! :naughty:

17. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

If its got busted.. I.E

Weird monobrowed tall guy who can't sing.
    Weird alcoholic semi goth who cant' sing.
    Weird weird weird ugly strange jawline'd freak who can't sing.

Singing the main theme tune, its got to suck!

18. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

one look at the advert could have told you it was raped to death... not to mention the theme "music"

I wonder if "hollywood" actually thinks this sort of fluff is acceptable - raperizing (theres a new made-up word for ya' ;)) a classic; hell.. as long as they get money I'm sure they dont care.

Personally, I wouldnt go... unless you paid me, and it wouldnt be cheap.