1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Thunderbug/Thrip Season - Monitor Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sentinel-R1, 4 Aug 2018.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

So having only had my PG279Q for a shade over a year, it's got 6 little thunderbugs crawling around/dead in the various layers of diffusers between the LCD and the light source.

I'm now faced with pulling the monitor apart and voiding the warranty because it's far too annoying to leave them there. I know from past experience that sometimes they'll dry up and drop down but they're in too much of a prominent place to leave for months.

The downside of living in the countryside... grrrr!

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I had a couple in my Dell U3007 many years ago, Dell wouldn't even touch the monitor as it wasn't covered in the warranty. Lived with them in there for a few years till the screen died. Due to their location almost dead centre, i had an artificial crosshair for FPS :thumb:

Sam

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

Well, I took the monitor apart on Saturday evening and cleaned them all out. There was two on the LED panel itself and then a few inbetween the two plastic diffuser and then one more on the inside of the LCD panel.

Put it all back together, working just fine and then two hours later, two more crawled in.... so frustrating!

I'll now leave it until after the farmers have finished harvesting before attempting it again.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

Philips replaced mine for a solitary dead bug centre stage, so always worth asking.

I had partial success using a suction cup to gently pull the screen face away to move the bug a bit off centre by just tapping on the bezel and letting gravity do the work, but was unable to get it all the way to the bezel.

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

I've already enquired as to Asus' warranty for dead insects inside what SHOULD BE a sealed panel. I was sent a reply with the detailed warranty exceptions, which included the words 'acts of nature'... Guess what Thrips are classed as?!?

Sadly, they don't cover dead bugs. That said, everyone in the countryside could get a new monitor each year if they did, so can understand why they don't cover it.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

Ah bummer. I raised a claim stating "foreign ingress" or some such and attaching a photo... though didn't notice any specific clause in the warranty regarding acts of nature, bugs, etc.

7. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

It's pretty good of Philips to honour that warranty, to be fair. I don't disagree with Asus or anyone refusing warranty for thunderbugs as they're nearly impossible to prevent. I'll just have to accept that each year, I'll have to strip it down and clean it out.

I have a super bright LED desk light that I leave on next to the computer desk and most of them are attracted to that; however, some thrips just wanna see the world burn.