1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Ti4200 fan died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dash, 15 Oct 2002.

1. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

Well I just found out my fan on my ti4200 died and is not even spinning so I had to swap it out with my old geforce 2 mx for now :waah:

My question is how would I go at taking off the entire heatsink and fan becuase it seems the heatsink is stuck on with some Thermal Adhesive that I can't seem to get off and is very stong.

secondly if that doesn't work does anyone know of a place that would just sell a small replacement fan to fit that model ....

Thank you for any help you can provide

-Dash

Last edited: 15 Oct 2002
  2. BradfordPimp

BradfordPimp What's a Dremel?

to remove the heatsink, jam the ti4200 in a freezer for about 30 mins, the glue stuff will be much more brittle, and should snap off easier.

You might want to buy a thermaltake gf4 cooler, dunno where to get them but if you tour around the usual overclocking shops I'm sure you'll find one

3. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

could be a good excuse to undertake watercooling

4. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

5. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

sounds good....thank for the advise and link :lol:

6. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

Well I put the card in a ziplock bag and threw it in the freezer....I left it in for 45 minutes and tried but wouldn't budge and then I left in for longer actually about 4 hours and still that sucker is stuck.....Should I be using something to pry it off like a small screw driver or just my hands becuase I am kinda lost as what to do now :wallbash:

7. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Np m8ty,try a credit card m8 and be carefull :)

8. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Yeah, after you put the card in teh freezer for a while, take a credit card, a piece of CD (when I removed my stock HSF on my card I had a coaster handy, so I snapped it inot convenient pieces) then take a screwdriver (flat head of course) and place the screwdriver between the heatsink and the credit card/CD, and rest the caredit card/CD against the PCB, makign sure to chose a spot that is relatively flat, and devoid of electronic bits. Then just pry up with the screwdriver gently, it should pop right off, and I should note, there will be a popping sound, and it sounds horrible and it sounds like you just snapped your GPU in half but it should be fine, it's just the thermal paste shattering. Next you just have to take an exacto-blade/sandpaper and remove the excess paste from your GPU, make sure you are VERY VERY CAREFUL not to scratch the core like I did, as this can cause very bad things to happen.

Hope that helps at all, good luck.

9. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

Thank you so much guys I really appreciate all the help you all provided.......I have to admit that popping sound did sound like I broke the GPU at first but everything seems good.....Here is my final product
    [​IMG]

Thanks again.....:lol: :clap: :rock:

10. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Have fun removing that thermal paste! Tok me an hour to get mine all off... Of course the ding butt who put my ATI card together smeared about an 1/8" layer of it... No wonder my GPU was overheating.......

Note of wanring: If you use Arctic ALumina Epoxy (what I used), make sure the room is well ventalated, that stuff smells only marginally less sickening than a pile of rotting corpses. I epoxied my card (HSF on GPU and seven heatsinks) in a tiny little room all sealed up and stuffy. I was violently sick afterwards for about three hours, and my room smelled like rotting corpses for about two hours after I was done.....

11. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

12. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Nice job on the scarping, better than mine, mine has exposed copper core showing :worried:

Can't say anything about the cooler, don't know it. But Arctic Alumina epoxy is what I use, and it holds it on there so that it is never coming off (and I pity the poor bugger that tries to remove it an dgets a nostril full of dead corpse smell, certainly isn't going to be me I can say that much :D)

Arctic Alumina epoxy works very well for heat transfer, and holds it strong as duct tape :lol:

Just mix a little together, and then spread a thin layer on the GPU, just like with normal thermal paste on a CPU, except with the epoxy of course.

Some people mix in some Arctic Alumina/Silver into teh epoxy in order to dilute it and make it a little better at conducting heat and allow it to stay in wet form longer, I never did this and saw a HUGE performance gain still on my temps. It really isn't needed, as the epoxy will stay wet for about five to ten minutes, if you cna't get your GPU cooler on there and set in that time you probably aren't skilled enough to even be opening up the side of your case :p

Good luck dude.

EDIT:Cool, my 300th post was helping somebody, glad it wasn't spam like every other my posts :naughty:

13. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you all again

[​IMG]

just wish the heatsink fan cable could be plugged into the 2 pin on the board......me is still happy though :lol:

Last edited: 18 Oct 2002
  14. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Np m8 anytime glad to help :):clap: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :hip:

Tags: