1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Tibet (56k warning)

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Vigil, 7 Sep 2009.

1. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

Mediocre in artistic talent, but I wanted to show what a fantastic place Tibet is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^ Not Tibet (Jiuzhaiguo, Sichuan)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot more can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tenth-circle/sets/72157622219492774/ The photos cover Three Gorges of the Yangtze river, Jiuzhaiguo national forest park and Tibet. There are some of Malaysia in an earlier set too.

Guest-23315 likes this.
  2. PBear23

PBear23 What's a Dremel?

Final 3 are fantastic!

What equipment were you using?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

EPIC!

Love them all to be honest!

4. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Incredible stuff - really got me going as I'm off to Sichuan and Yunnan to go hiking in a week's time - any tips on good locations welcome :)

5. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

Awww thanks guys, I'm glad you like. :blush:

PBear23: I brought along my Nikon D60 with the 18-200mm and a 11-16mm lens. The 18-200mm did most of the work.

Sifter3000: Well if you are in Sichuan, definitely visit Jiuzhaiguo. It's reachable by plane or a 12hr bus ride from Chongqing or Chengdu. The bus is a lot cheaper but the roads wide through the mountains and are prone to mud slides in the rainy season; so check to see the roads are clear. We went by plane and were lucky as a bridge on the main route in was taken out by a landslide (they should have it fixed now). The place is worth seeing for the incredible lakes (see flickr with all those ridiculously blue ponds). Go in early in the morning (tickets start 7am) when there are few people, and the lakes are calm enough for the reflections to give you vertigo.

A entrance fee is a bit pricey (300 RMB/day including the bus ticket), but the place is beautiful. If you take the bus and jump from spot to spot then it can be done in a day. We spent two days in the park and did more time on foot.

As for it's sister park Huanglong, it's much smaller but tbh a bit of a disappointment after Jiuzhaiguo.

Oh ye, expect the food to be (below) average but pricey in diners. The wheat pancakes from the street stalls aren't bad and goes well with barbecue.
    =================

In the main cities, take the chance to really experience the food (Sichuan and Yunan is mainly spicey but there are plenty of other options about). In the city, food is very cheap in the smaller shops and reasonable in classy looking establishments. Don't limit yourself to sweet and sour chicken :p

Yunan; it's been a while and the only place off the top of my head is Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. Worth a look.
    I'm told I should have gone to the Xishuangbanna region but I'm not too familiar with the sites.

Btw, I should ask: are you travelling alone and what's going to be the main way of getting from place to place?

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Whoah, some great pictures there. Love them all, they really inspire what an awesome place it must be.

7. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Some fantastic pictures, there i think my favorites are the second/third from last. Makes me wish I could go traveling again

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

They're all very good photos, idk why your calling yourself mediocre

9. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

Thank you all :) I must say, I'm in love with travelling. Too bad one can't really make a living of it :(

As for "mediocre" I'm a beginner when it comes to photography so a lot of the time it is really due to amazing location more than composition, lighting etc etc. Still, I'm glad you like them :)

10. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Fantastic, hoping to go to Tibet in 2011 depending on the route I take and I'm still debating whether to take my DSLR with me, perhaps I should.

In picture 12, did you use HDR? I only notice becasue the picture stands out and the clouds are not in sync. Or is it just my eyes? Saying that, picture 2 confuses me!

Again, fantastic pictures!

11. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

These are amazing, loving 1, 3 & 6. Any post processing? 2nd from bottom: someone left their Canon in the bottom left or is that your secondary? Also, got a high res one of 1? Want to adapt it for dual screen wally, and flickr only goes up to 800x176 :)

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

Stunning photos - I love them. Tibet looks like another place I need to go and visit:)

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

YGPM dude :thumb:

14. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

#9 is my favorite by far. Deffo one of my destinations goals.

15. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Last one has to be my favorite. All are beautiful shots though. I wish I had been there.

16. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

MrWillyWonka: You're spot on, 12 and 13 are HDR. I have to set the exposure compensation manually on the D60 while trying not to knock the tripod so the clouds moved in the mean time. Picture 2 had a CPL if i recall, but the reflection and the see through water was all there in real life. Unbelievable unless you see it with your own eyes.

dragontail: Full size photos are here http://picasaweb.google.com/julia.sun42/Wallpaper# A bit of fiddling with brightness clarity etc in Lightroom; my photos tend to be underexposed in general.

The viewing platform beside the Potala Palace was packed with photographers in the morning. There was probably £10k+ worth of hardware there. I didn't get the best spot so a lady's Canon got in.

Mankz: check the link :)

Tim S, eddie_dane, OleJ: it's a once in a life time trip (I could feel my brain cells shrivel from the altitude) with amazing scenery but some horrific facilities. Go at your own risk ;)

17. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Cheers for that - food will definitely be a highlight, am a big fan of spicy cooking, particularly spicy Chinese food (there are some good authentic places in London).

First two weeks with my other half (who's Japanese and so can read Chinese characters), second two weeks on my own. Planning on planes and trains to get around...

18. Vers

Vers ...

You've got some great shots here, Vigil. #9 is the clear standout--awesome light. It is, indeed, a beautiful place...you did well in capturing that.

Matt