Scratch Build – In Progress TILT | by timpelay

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by timpelay, 3 Sep 2017.

1. timpelay

timpelay New Member

My last projects have all been casemods. Without build logs here but on my own site, Facebook and on Instagram. This one will be a scratch build and I thought it's about time I'll write something here!

Well about this project. I've been sketching on a few geometric shapes going from really advanced ones to more simple. Some suitable for a computer build and some not. Finally I decided to go with a special version of the plain and simple cube. My ambition is to build this case with the tools I got at home. No CNC and no laser cutter. Cutting, grinding and welding. Let's roll.

Following are a few features my case and project will focus on.

Unique design. This case will not look like a mid tower.

360° view. Every side of the case will be interesting.

Function. The finished computer will be fully working and serve as my main workstation.

No covered parts Every cable and component will be visible. Lets make them shine.

I will go for the theme premium. Considering non RGB but will have to elaborate before deciding. I'm doing a 3D-model for this case to be able to take measurements, order material and try different layouts. Currently jumping between mITX and mATX.

The case shape is simple, it's a cube with one flat corner as foot. This gives it a interesting layout and ability to show all components inside.

Hardware:

• Motherboard, mATX or mITX TBA
    • CPU, TBA
    • GPU, AORUS/Nvidia GTX 1080Ti if single, otherwise GTX 1070 SLI
    • RAM, Team Group
    • PSU, Corsair SF600 SFX
    • SSD, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2

Water cooling:

Bitspower, specification will be updates continuously.

Cables:

All custom made cables. Not decided if there will be sleeve or something else. I will try and see what fits my theme best.

Great thanks to Team Group, Corsair and Samsung for your help with hardware support.

2. timpelay

timpelay New Member

Material

I've changed my mind a dussin times regarding material and design. As I plan to build this on my own there's no point making a 3D-model of a case that I would not be able to create. My first choice would be an aluminum frame as it's easy to work with and perhaps polish as finish. But I don't have the gear or knowledge to weld alu and screw it together is not an option.

I decided to go with steel. At first I was afraid of the weight it would add to the finished project. But as soon as I got the material at hand, I changed my mind. The weight and stiffness will only be positive for stability.

The frame needs to be simple and clean, and as steel is really stiff I can use thin profiles without compromising stability. I found a standard dimension of L-profiles that was 15x15x3 mm and updated my 3D-model regarding to their measurements. This was my way to find out how much I need and get a clue how the design will be afffected.

Well said and done, I went to a steel shop and got my profiles cut in suitable lengths. Here they are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A pile of junk. Dirty and rusty. But as perfect as I want them.

The frame is supposed to be built by 9 identical pieces and welded together at the corners to get the shape of a cube. One corner will be "cut" and act as bottom/foot.

This is no work for a tiny dremel. I'll go for the angle grinder!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the angle grinder to do rough cuts and then my stationary sander for last millimeters.The 9 pieces needs 45 degree angles at boot ends and this was kind of tricky with only my plastic protractor as help. There's also three different pieces for the special corner that needs a rotated angle of aprox. 35,3 degrees.. Well I think I got near 35 degrees and the right rotation after a while. It will prove itself when time for assembly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dot_Kappa likes this.
  3. Andreas | Brodholm

Andreas | Brodholm Member

Good stuff! Really nice idea with the tilted cube!