1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Time calculations in Excel

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldstar0011, 12 Apr 2018.

1. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Howdy

I'm working on a spreadsheet for a department here to work out the number of hours in a day worked on a project but I've never been good working with time in excel.

If anyone's able to help here's the requirements

Start time - needs to be simple to input, preferable don't have to input colons
    End time - as above
    Breaks - a box for amount of minutes on breaks
    Hours worked - output figure ideally would be in minutes minus breaks

Cheers

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

If you don't want users to muck about with colons when entering the time(s) then it's probably easier to separate the inputs for hours and minutes. Ideally you'd want a form for this but can do it just with direct entries into cells.

MLyons likes this.
  3. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Can confirm. If a user can break it then a user will break it.

TheMadDutchDude and goldstar0011 like this.
  4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Oh, and you'll need some validation on the entries, so you can't enter an end time before the start time, or a minutes value greater than 59, and so on and so forth.

MLyons likes this.
  5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Including only numbers. Would you believe me if i told you someone tried to type "five" as their age on an old mockup I was doing.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I certainly would believe you :D Fortunately it's easy to do with Excel.

7. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

The people that would be using it are the kind of people would let it break and tell no one and blame the creator, no matter of training would change them!

I will try but only to prove it can be done.

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

One other thing I would do is to lock all the cells that don't need user entry and password protect the sheet. If you leave cells unlocked, people will screw up all your hard work.

9. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Can you use VBA with your spreadsheet? If yes you can reduce time entry into a button press. I also it will surprise people how long their breaks really are as must people underestimate. I can provide example code tomorrow if you are interested.

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If you go in say blocks of 10 or 15 minutes you can do the time entry as a drop down selection, one for hours and one for minutes. This gives you a very predictable entry format which will make the spreadsheet more robust.