1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Time to retire 2011 power supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zehetmayr, 21 May 2019.

1. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Member

I'm nearly at the point of wanting a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade. I've been happily running a 2500K system since 2011 with a couple of GPU upgrades in that time. At the time I built the PC I had SLI GTX 580s that needed a lot of power, so bought a 1200W Antec High Current Pro 80Plus to make sure I had loads of headroom. Since then I've moved away from SLI and don't plan on going back.

While upgrading my core components, would it also be wise to buy a new PSU? My current one is still going strong and has showed no signs of any problems, and has more power than I will ever need.

My head has also been turned by going fully modular, but would put up without if my current PSU doesn't need replacing. Planning on keeping my current case (Silverstone FT02) and a couple of sata ssds.

Cheers, Z

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I would just clean it and check it over inside. Look for bulging or leaking in the caps.

I run a platimax 1550w and a even older Corsair AX1200 and both are fine (have checked the caps recently)

If the caps check out you should be good. There's more chance of a brand new one failing IMO.

3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

It'll probably be fine but its effenciency will be shot to hell and it could blow any time really. I'm in the same position with my PSU, as its from 2012, but it was basically the best of the best at the time so I'm not too worried.