1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*ting*.....*zzjjjjt* WTF!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ReFredzRate, 30 Oct 2002.

1. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I have harddrives making weird noises. They are running and suddenly they go *ting* and after about a second the go *zjjjt*... Looks almost as if they are disconnected from the power and then turned back on. Anybody know what the problem might be? I really need you guys on this one :confused:

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

i have a dodgy really really old seagate that does that...for some reason it powers it down, then realises its mistake and powers it up again...but im thinking its more dodgy windows or a dodgy mobo...

you got more then one maxtor?? and wat spindle speed?? are they cooled??

3. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

It's not really the disk I have in this pc. It does that sometimes but then I rearranges my cabling inside the pc and it works perfectly. It just doesn't seem to work with the maxtor hdd I got in the other computer. Very strange.

edit: The disk is uncooled and runs at 5400rpm

4. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

My HDD has done that before, then I fiddled with the cables and it stopped...strange :sigh:

5. felix the cat

maybe the power cable isnt in properly...or the ide...check that....and make sure they dont loosen themselves over time...

6. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

It is due to cabling problems.

Check carefully that the connectors on the ribbon haven't broken and are consequently making poor contact. Make sure that the cables are well seated in the controller and drive, and not under stress. Make sure you're using a ribbon cable of no more than 45cm (ie no rounded, no 90cm cables, as these are NOT within ATA specification). Make sure there are no tears or dints in the cable.

7. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

i wonder why there are so many hd problems at the moment. mine is doing that, but the seagate diagnostic program says mine has physical errors

8. felix the cat

barracuda iv??

never heard of one actually fail it that is the one...

9. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

All hard disks can fail. Not just IBMs. My landlord's Barracuda IV went "pop" within about 3 weeks of him getting it. I've just received a reconditioned barracuda III as I sent my barracuda II back to seagate as an RMA because it was starting to have some problems (and SMART data suggested that the drive was NOT happy).

10. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

I had that same thing happen to me and it was a bad power connection. I unplugged it and reseated it and it's been fine since.

11. felix the cat

i think my seagate that is quite old 5-6 years is slowly fading away...similiar problem aswell:waah: :sigh:

12. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

I have a barracuda IV and after formatting c: following a KLEZ attack, I got a nasty surprise.

I had just installed XP professional and a mate recommended I install the service pack along with all the security updates. On restarting the computer after installing the SP I got a warning saying that the drive was about to fail and that I should back up all my file IMMEDIATELY and obtain a replacement drive.

Boot up took about ten times longer then normal though it has been running fine ever since. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

The drive was purchased in March so just over six months old.

8ball

13. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

could have been a hoax virus. ive seen a few that do that sort of thing

14. olv

olv he's so bright

i often hear my 20gig Quantum Fireball power down then power up randomly, i shall check the cables tomorrow

15. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

Hmm yeah. this happened with my maxtor(s) a while ago, it was them being not plugged in properly, got a nice new Enermax 430watt PSU and it's been fine since :)