1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Tiny Silent PC build advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pie_uk, 11 May 2020.

1. Pie_uk

Pie_uk British beef, in Britain

Hi,

I have gone backwards and forwards trying to find a laptop/tablet that is capable of 144hz/165hz output over hdmi or display port and cannot find anything suitable.

That said, I would like to see if its possible to build a very small (NUC/MicroITX) build, preferably fanless so complete silent operation, and for a good price.

I think £500 max should be enough, though I am not sure since I haven't a clue what to buy. HDD space isn't an issue, or processor power or GPU power since I will be running google stadia.

The main point of the build is to get a 165hz/144hz refresh rate on my gaming monitor (which has HDMI 1.4 and Display port) so Display port is essential to unlock the full refresh capability.

So, is there a mini itx motherboard that can natively support 144hz +? or does it come down to the graphics card? because this will ultimately decide the case

appreciate the help if you can

cheers

Last edited: 11 May 2020
  2. BeauchN

BeauchN Active Member

I think the short answer is no, I’ve not seen an ITX motherboard that supports 144hz + display output. Most seem to have DisplayPort 1.2 ports. The Asus X570i has 1.4 according to its spec sheet, but that still says 4k@60hz or 8k@60hz. Not sure what resolution your screen is.

However, as far as I can tell, Stadia is limited to 4K at 60hz, so the question is Do you actually need something that can deliver a higher refresh rate than that?

3. Pie_uk

Hi, thanks for the reply BeauchN,

So, from what I have learnt is that Display port 1.2 can support 240hz at 1080p.

You are right, stadia is 60fps 60hz 4k, so perhaps I should just look for a good quality 4k monitor. The problem is, I will always have the issue of the fans speeding up loads when connecting it to an external monitor. Or maybe this is just an issue with the asus monitor i have

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

A chromecast Ultra would probably be your best option :)

5. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

What he said ^^^^

Pulled from other post as we were off topic for earlydoors and crossed purposes

yes with the right motherboard a 3200g would be fine, if you really wanted to go low end there are even cheaper CPUs with integrated graphics like an Athlon 200GE with a 35W TDP that would do it also.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/amd-athlon-200ge-gaming,5938.html

I wonder if an Atom/celeron net top type machine would also work if you want low end PC hardware.

Not heard of fans in a monitor before but I have never had a fast screen, but as Stadia is an online cloud gaming it can't go that fast anyway, it probably can't even do 4k60 well, really if that is the pace you want, you'd be better doing a gaming PC build though of course there are challenges with respect to hardware required for consistent 4k60 due to the GPU required to drive it and keeping that silent but it is possible.

Last edited: 13 May 2020
  6. Pie_uk

Thank you for the replies, I was looking at the minix neo, I believe it can output 4k 60hz.

I meant that when connecting the monitor to my laptop, the laptop fans spin up fast making the noise.

I will have a look at a monitor that has hdmi 2.0 and think about plugging a chrome cast 4k ultra into it. The only thing i will also need is for a usb microphone to be plugged into the monitor so that i can use in game chat. Do not wish to use headphones

Any good low response time 4k monitor suggestions? with usb for my mic :).
    would usb on a screen work with a mic?

Last edited: 13 May 2020
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile