1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Tip: Always ensure...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by badders, 27 Oct 2008.

1. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

...That if you do have a small leak on your graphics card, that you take the block off and dry the card before reinserting it into the loop.
    I found out the hard way this morning that water can hide under the RAM ICs and make the blue smoke escape.

My 8800GT still works, but only at 800x600, and it's not detected properly. Boo.

Anyone else had any stupid mishaps, with watercooling or otherwise?

2. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Ooh unlucky... :( What coolant do you use?

In my first ever 'enthusiast' rig, I managed to blow a 939 DFi Lanparty through a water leak... good times :p Advice: Never leave an old-school water cooling set-up on while you spend the night partying...

And I would advise fitting one of those alarms which tell you if your water is flowing i.e. if your pump is dead...

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Just Distilled water at the mo, need to get some additive.
    I'll tell you what though, you do get some trippy patterns when you've only got 7/8 of the VRAM that you used to!

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

On my current cards and motherboard I sprang a leak when the pump lost its footing and was hanging its weight off the barb on the CPU block. The inlet barb. The one barb I didn't have a jubilee clip on, or a ziptie.

Fortunately, though, Feser One is as good as they claim, and everything still runs fine, despite it having cascaded off the top 4870, and having run down the surface of the mobo. Bit of a whoopsie, that.

5. modgodtanvir

:lol: Thats what I was using before as well...

In my current loop I'm running FeserOne so if I have an accident like liratheal, I might just be on the safe side...

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It is bloody good stuff.

There were, when it happened, no unsual effects with the PC aside from the CPU temp suddenly sky rocketing (Which, along with the purple pool of coolant, sparked a rather rapid shutdown). Dried the cards and motherboard off using some cotten bud ear cleaner things, popped everything back together, and I was back running with no adverse effects inside of two hours. I've not seen any reprocussions from the incident either.

Definitely has my vote for 'best non-conductive coolant' or something similar.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

i had a CPU block crack after 6 months of use, and slowly drip coolant onto my memory for about a week, luckily the heatspreads were so hot the coolant evap'd almost straight away, and i only found out about it all when i went to clean out the dust. Had half the fuild of the loop missing!

8. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I have a dead x1900xtx that a similar event happened to. It was a good excuse to upgrade though...

9. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip New Member

not a water coling related but stupid, ages ago i was setting up a pc on shop floor (popular retailer) when a collegue came over and started talking ot me, i found my self figiting with a switch onthe back, flicking back on forth loads of times, yes it was the 240v/110v switch, i didnt check which position it wasin wieh i wsitched it on and BANG

one dead PC, it wasonly the PSU that was dead but it was brand new

10. modgodtanvir

Always ensure: You know exactly where you components come from.

I once blew a new-ish motherboard by using an old Dell PSU, in which the pins are different...

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I once dropped a screwdriver into a pc that i was fiddling with whilst it was on (never the best idea).

BANG and blue smoke one £120.00 mobo scrapped, we learn these things the hard way.....

12. profqwerty

profqwerty New Member

I leaked a bit of boiled water (not distilled...) onto my x1900xtx a while ago...barb wasn't sealing with the block too well. It seeped between the block and the card and wound up around some of the VRAM. It produced some crazy patterns on the screen and took a while before I realised what was going on!
    Quickly took it all apart, dried it, still same problem. The water had left some deposit that presumably was conducting slightly - A long time scraping it with a paintbrush solved that! It's been going strong ever since :)

13. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I killed a 180$ graphics card because I applied the ramsinks with thermal epoxy before I noticed that the heatsink was for the G92 instead of the G80 version of the card....

Tags: