1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tired of idiots on ebay - suggestion needed (conclusion)

Discussion in 'General' started by Dad, 29 Jun 2004.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I am getting SO tired of morons on ebay it's not even funny. Before he moved, a friend of mine gave me a satellite receiver that I don't have any use for, so I decided to throw it up on eBay to help pay a bill or two. Well, I didn't really test it that much, just pluged it in and hooked it to a tv to make sure it powered up. I do know however that he was using it recently (within the past few months).. When I listed it on ebay, I put in this paragraph:

I didn't use small print, it was right under what the auction included and before payment instructions. Come to find out that this dude can't get it to work correctly and wants to send it back to me. Since the auction clearly states I'm selling it AS-IS, I feel that it's his problem, not mine. Thoughts? I know that karma dictates that I send the cash back, but I'm tired of idiots NOT reading auctions and using eBay as a retail store. I see it all over other people's feedback - people buying something when the auction stated as-is, no returns or un/partially tested and leaving negative feedback when it doesn't work or there's a some sort of problem with it.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2004
  2. nohope4me

nohope4me New Member

Bollocks to Karma, tell him to learn to read!!

3. warrmr

warrmr New Member

kindly email the guy quoteing your auction. and point out to him where it sed that. and say you wont refund as you stated sold as it is.

or get him to send it back and refund him and resell. and jus put resale due to timewasters.

EDIT: Try This

4. Confusitron

Confusitron New Member

I just had almost the same experience as you, Dad. We were selling a JVC VCR that had been dropped on it's face on Ebay. We knew that there were things damaged behind the face and the face was cracked, which we said in the description. The VCR goes for somewhere around $1799.99 retail from JVC. In our description we told of the damage we knew about and said we were selling the VCR as is. Someone won the VCR for a very, very cheap price (considering it's retail value) and they received the VCR however much later. They were mad because of some of the damage and insisted that we send them $50.00 to repair this damaged part we weren't aware of (and the description did say the VCR was being sold AS IS). We don't need to send him $50.00. He got the VCR for less than half of the retail price. If he got all the repairs done, it would still be so much cheaper than buying a new VCR. So, now it's all done. He hasn't emailed us again.

EDIT: Whoops... Probably should have tried assisting you. Tell him that the description said, "As is". That's what we did. It took a little bit of a fight, but eventually the guy understood and stopped emailing us.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2004
  5. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Tell him to get stuffed! :p

But seriously quote him the auction description and point out why your not going to refund him then leave it be. The wost thing he can do is leave you negitive feedback and eaven if he does that you can relpy and point out what a tard he has been and that its his falt. :thumb:

6. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Yes, Dad, you are totally correct. Keep the money, guide him to the auction and tell him is says it is damaged, and to be more careful in future. What if you had sold him the satellite reciever and he said:
    "This isn't a 42" colour TV!"
    ...would you say...
    "Oh, sorry you're stupid and can't read, I'll send you your mioney back and you can send me my goods and I can go to the trouble of selling them again"?
    Not a chance! It IS his problem. Stand your ground.

7. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I didn't say that it was damaged, I didn't know it was when I sold it. However, like I said, I did explicetely say that I did not fully test it and am selling it as-is.. If this guy went into Walmart (big department store in the US) and bought something with "as-is" on the tag, he wouldn't be able to return it. I guess that's my whole point. I never tested it fully, don't know the history and thus selling as-is. However, I still feel guilty as hell - BUT am tired of dealing with people who can't or don't read the auction.

Here's the auction if you want to see it

It looks like so far the consensus is to tell this guy to stuff it..

8. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

I agree, stand your ground dad. You said as-is, that means working or not working.

Don't worry about bad feedback, people will realise he is a moron when they read the item description.

9. craigey1

craigey1 Active Member

Besides if he does leave negative feedback, you can always post a follow up explaining that the auction clearly stated "AS IS".

But like everyone else has said. just send him a polite e-mail saying that you did state that the item is sold as seen / AS IS. Sorry that he thinks he has been mislead, but you never intentionally hid anything from him. etc etc.

But on no account offer him his money back, unless he will accept the money - shipping costs (both ways) - listing & re-listing fees. He'll probably decide that it's not worth loosing out that much money.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

what everyone else said

tell him to ***** to **** a *** and *****ing mongoose

or something like that

11. RTT

RTT #parp

Definately stick to your ground - he needs to learn to read! :)

I'd bet the thing actually works too and he's just being a bone-head and getting that wrong too, or perhaps broke it himself and is now trying to get his cash back... :rolleyes:

12. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Jesus H Christmas. Now the moron is screaming criminal fraud and threatening to "turn me in".. Why the hell can't people READ THE WHOLE AUCTION!? I mean, I make it a point to tell it like it is and keep the descriptions short and to the point as not to confuse anyone. Does anyone see anything on the auction indicating the damn thing works? I did say it was used recently and it was, I was playing with it at my friends house about 3 months ago.

13. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

All the evidence in your favour is there, all that remains is to watch as he repeatedly bashes his head against the brick wall that is the law...;)

14. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

As everyone else has stated.

Politely guide him to the part of the listing that says 'AS IS'. You should not feel at all guilty, you described the goods accurately and the guy got exactly what he paid for. Something that may or may not be in full working order.

Spot on remark. The description was accurate, he got what he paid for. The 'AS IS' description expressly indicates that the goods carry no warranty of any kind.

Personally, I would also invite him to 'turn me in' if I were in your place. Then chuckle to myself as I imagine the police laughing in this moron's face.

In fact, ask him to tape his visit to the station.

Then have him send it to you.

Then forward it to 'Cops'.

Idiots like this are ruining ebay for the rest of us.
    I listed a satellite receiver myself earlier this year. After this guy emailing me from the Czech Republic from an address I couldn't reply to asking me to send the item out to him and he'd send payment when he was happy with the goods, I ended up leaving negative feedback for the first time :D

15. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

I'd put $5 down that it DOES work and he just doesn't know wtf to do with it. Usually, when someone screams "fraud" or "abuse" they've done something wrong themselves and don't want to admit it.

You shouldn't feel guilty for selling an item that you couldn't test yourself. You sold it as-is. If the person absolutely NEEDED it to work, they should have bought something that WASN'T sold as-is.

You, sir, know the difference between insured items and items sold as-is, so you need not worry about karma in this case. In this case, you accidentally sold him an item that he didn't know how to use, or didn't work 100%... and in turn he made you read his ramblings in email yelling at you. karma is served.

16. MiniG

MiniG New Member

Even though everyone has said it, I'll add it again.

Keep the cash it's not your problem, having read your auction it's clear to anyone who read the whole thing that it's sold as is, (sold as seen I'd call it).

I had the same problem with a laptop not too long ago, I got an email with huge sob story about how her daughter had been saving since birth for my £300 laptop, blah blah blah. I gave her some technical support and problem was solved.

Could it be worth finding out what he's doing wrong, see if you can help him or point him towards someone who can help, that'd help your karma no end.

MiniG

17. banished

banished Necromodder

Most likely you're dealing with a person that plugs the thing in and expects it to work with whatever network he was already a part of, not taking into consideration the fact that the network you're on in New York uses a different frequency/decoder card. It doesn't seem that he is complaining that it doesn't power up, which is the only thing that you seem to promise in your auction. I would say that it isn't a problem with the powering up, just the user. So, in conclusion, I would say that you are well within your rights to refuse him a refund.

18. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

:idea: Direct him to the nearest opticians.

19. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Day 2:

Received this email this morning:
    I believe you knew about the satellite signal problem.
    In your auction you say "and received the typical
    "Acquiring Signal" message and was able to get into
    the menus, but that's all I did. I did not hook it up
    to a dish.." That is because you knew it did not work.
    The satellite connection is clearly bent. Shipping
    insurance was not offered. I have briefly spoken with
    legal council regarding this matter, and was informed
    that this is clearly deceptive advertising. Ebay fraud
    is a serious crime as it also includes wire & bank
    fraud (paypal) and mail fraud (usps). I would like to
    return the receiver to you and have my money refunded
    or I will pursue this matter further.

If anyone here has a sat receiver, you would know that if you don't connect it to a dish, you will receive "acquiring signal" on the tv when you turn it on. That's normal operation. I'm starting to get real pissed with this idiot.

20. ajack

ajack rox

TBH, I'd be willing to bet that he hasnt done anything of the sort and is just trying to scare you. I'd stick with it, he's clearly just annoyed that he didnt read the auction properly.